Match thread today

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Comfortably_numb
Team Supported: Darlington

Match thread today

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:46 pm

So.....are exiles mostly following the game via Stod's twitter updates on the echo?

Still be interesting to gain others views on how we're playing...

Comfortably_numb

Re: Match thread today

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:04 pm

I guess at 2-1 we aren't doing so well!

Conceding at set pieces again.

Teams doing a bit more analysis on us this season?

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:08 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:So.....are exiles mostly following the game via Stod's twitter updates on the echo?

Still be interesting to gain others views on how we're playing...
Match is on both the radio, and Darlo fans radio i think?

The_Ozzman_Cometh

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:58 pm

2-2 FT
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:11 pm

Fair result really. Poor defending on our part for both goals and Brown didn't have a particularly good game at all. Beck, Cartman, Marrs and Turnbull played well.

Galbraiths delivery was shocking today kind of compounds our inability to defend set pieces when we have no attacking threat from them either.

Thought Becks goal was fortunate looked a clear foul on the defender - but think it was evened out with him penalty appeal later. As I started really - fair result.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:15 pm

They shaded the first half. We shaded the second. Ref was a joke. Salford are still horrible to play against. Another good crowd. Becks best game for a while

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:Fair result really. Poor defending on our part for both goals and Brown didn't have a particularly good game at all. Beck, Cartman, Marrs and Turnbull played well.

Galbraiths delivery was shocking today kind of compounds our inability to defend set pieces when we have no attacking threat from them either.

Thought Becks goal was fortunate looked a clear foul on the defender - but think it was evened out with him penalty appeal later. As I started really - fair result.

Goes to show how we all view things differently.

In the press box today we all thought Brown was magnificent and it was a close call on who was man of the match between Brown and Beck.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Thought we should have won on chances we had , but all in all a good end to end game spoiled by a poor ref.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:52 pm

Yea fair result in the end, thought we were just about to grab a late winner with good cross from Hardy, Beck just couldn't get enough on it. MG clearly not happy with Falkingham, gave away 2 unnecessary fouls close to the box which resulted in both their goals, subbed at HT for Scott to come on.
Thought the Referee had a poor game totally inconsistent with fouls for either side, seen him Ref a few times now and he has not improved.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Fair result in the end, this was my first home game in quite a few, things I had noticed is that we seem a little slower than earlier this season.

Both teams created chances, and it could have easily finished 3-2 to Salford, or 3-2 to Darlo.

Our defending was not the par today, speaking to some others, it's been like that the last couple games. The last time I saw us play, we were the top dog at set pieces, now it seems our achilles heel. Our corners are not up to par I feel either, it was the delivery at the fact nobody was at the back post, were the problems.

Beck was incredible today, should have had his 3rd today, but I had a suspicion we'd miss a sitter today, and so it was, ahh well.

Like said, Salford could have easily scored more themselves today, but some heroic defending at times prevented that and I feel we had the possession over them.

My 2 twats of the match go to;

1 - What a shocker, the referee. I havn't been to all the games this season, but when I have, the ref has been absolutely appalling, stand fast the ref at harrogate. It's getting beyond a joke now the standard they are at this level, last season's ref's weren't anywhere near this bad. Totally inconsistent, and once again, Beck had to receive a shotgun shell to the face to win a free kick. Arguments could even be with Salford when he scored the 2nd. I didn't feel it was a complete foul myself, but I've seen them given.

2 - The absolute wanking toss pot who chanted "Salford" at the whistle of the silence, get some class you bellend.

All in all. The battle of the two teams wasn't an intense as it was last season, as there are several big fish in this league. So I'm happy.

Good job from the lads today. Come on Darlo.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:16 pm

The refereeing performance today was absolutely woeful, never mind his decision "evened things out." He booked Darlington players at the drop of a hat for very little, over-ruled the most obvious penalty appeal you will ever see right in front of his eyes and allowed foul after foul to go unpunished. Browny was being backed into and dragged around every time he was in against the big centre forward and Salford were constantly allowed to wrap their arms around players and hold onto them in challenges. At one point just before half-time Browny shouted in despair "How many more fecking times" when he was fouled for about the 20th time and nothing was given.
Overall we were better than recently and they didn't threaten that much other than at set pieces (two of which we defended dreadfully to hand them goals). Should really have won it with Beck's final chance but I suppose we can't complain when he stuck two away.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:28 pm

LoidLucan wrote:The refereeing performance today was absolutely woeful,
Slight understatement Lucan!
When you see the likes of Lucy Oliver get refused promotion and yet you get gimps like that at higher levels it makes you wonder if the people who choose which refs to promote, do so on account of how shite they are.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:07 pm

The booking for Browny was an absolute joke. Syers did deliberately handle it in a similar position second half and didn't get a yellow.

I think it was clear the Salford fan who shouted in the minutes silence thought the whistle marked the end of it, it was silent prior to the whistle. I'm sure he is a twat though.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Hadn't thought of it in that way - I had assumed he'd tried to shout it before it started but just missed. It was silent for ages waiting for it to start it was announced before the ref had done coin toss. Probably not worth getting overly excited over though - I doubt it was intentional disrespect.

I thought we made more of refereeing decisions than needed to be. Browns caution was harsh but given it blocked a player getting the ball on the right wing I can see that letter of law probably right. I thought the worst when Burgess got called in because that was a bad tackle.

There were a lot of aerial challenges which can go either way really. Maybe there were a couple we could have got but the vast majority just looked pretty 50:50 with Beck backing in as much as he was being pushed.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:40 pm

lo36789 wrote:Fair result really. Poor defending on our part for both goals and Brown didn't have a particularly good game at all. Beck, Cartman, Marrs and Turnbull played well.

Browny were excellent today give ur head a shake , he put his body in front of everything and as for Tez yes his delivery was not up to his usual standard but for getting forward he did OK.. God you must of watched a different gameImage

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:48 pm

lo36789 wrote: There were a lot of aerial challenges which can go either way really. Maybe there were a couple we could have got but the vast majority just looked pretty 50:50 with Beck backing in as much as he was being pushed.
In that case we should have had half the free kicks but you'll probably find they were more like 9/1 in Salfords favour.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:54 pm

I think all I commented on was his set pieces - rest of his game was fine.

I tend to look for more from a centre half than throwing his body in the way of everything - it's the defensive equivalent of the striker who runs around a lot.

If anything his need to do that is probably part of the problem he didn't look comfortable all day. He must have given the ball away at least 4 times from having possession and basically invites pressure straight back - yeh it looks great when he does a big sliding tackle after but it is usually a better sign when your centre backs aren't having to play last ditch.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:00 pm

loan_star wrote:
lo36789 wrote: There were a lot of aerial challenges which can go either way really. Maybe there were a couple we could have got but the vast majority just looked pretty 50:50 with Beck backing in as much as he was being pushed.
In that case we should have had half the free kicks but you'll probably find they were more like 9/1 in Salfords favour.
There were 3 which I thought Beck fouled on. First half where he had his arm round the players neck, the one he got cautioned floor where he absolutely flattened the guy with his right elbow and the one in the penalty area where he ball was crossed from the right.

There was only 1 where I absolutely thought he was fouled outside the box.

Then there was the penalty appeal - didn't really see the foul where I was but his reaction was pretty clear - and the goal looked a foul as well - on the replay it looks possibly soft but certainly a strong 'push' than what many of our fans were appealing for.

There were 2 which went against him which I thought were soft. No idea how that stacks up on the foul count but thought 9-1 was overall not just on Beck. I thought we simply fouled more than Salford did and Gray seems to echo that with his comment about cheap free kicks - Salford were better disciplined in that regard.

Put it this way apart from the two soft ones every other foul given I had said to my dad "and that's a foul" before the whistle had gone.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:41 pm

lo36789 wrote:I think all I commented on was his set pieces - rest of his game was fine.

I tend to look for more from a centre half than throwing his body in the way of everything - it's the defensive equivalent of the striker who runs around a lot.

If anything his need to do that is probably part of the problem he didn't look comfortable all day. He must have given the ball away at least 4 times from having possession and basically invites pressure straight back - yeh it looks great when he does a big sliding tackle after but it is usually a better sign when your centre backs aren't having to play last ditch.
Who didn't give the ball away their were plenty of them that did, only player that didn't as usual were Twinny cos he is class...

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:44 pm

I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that lo has a picture of Trevor Kettle on his bedroom wall as one of his all-time heroes.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:20 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that lo has a picture of Trevor Kettle on his bedroom wall as one of his all-time heroes.
Along with a Kevin Friend bedspread and Uriah Rennie lampshade.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Thought we were better when Scott and Hardy came on seemed to hold ball up better
Falkingham has had 2 bad games lately so how far away is Portas from playing ?
Have to agree ref was shocking. If crowd was 1999 and there were only about 70 from Salford with all that space then surely our end was over full in context to capacity

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:38 pm

As disappointing as we were today at times, that assault on Beck where his shirt was practically stripped off his back and shoved up his jaxy was shocking and that "ref" was an absolute cheat.

Saying that we weren't at our best. We're on a bad run since Harrogate and we need to all pull together to come thru it.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:51 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:As disappointing as we were today at times, that assault on Beck where his shirt was practically stripped off his back and shoved up his jaxy was shocking and that "ref" was an absolute cheat.

Saying that we weren't at our best. We're on a bad run since Harrogate and we need to all pull together to come thru it.
It's not that bad a draw against the runner away leaders a draw against Sal£ord yes beaten at Telford because we were down to 10 and Tamworth game yes we got beat away but they are not a bad team and as for Marine we wernt at our best against a team lower down but who'd of thought Farsley would beat Tamworth away in the trophy it just shows anything can happen

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:08 pm

It's not a bad point in the grand scheme of things. But i think we can all identify that we aren't the team we were when we were giving Harrogate a footballing lesson away.

For me today I thought Galbraith had a poor game. Usually a fairly solid performer but unfortunately beaten too many times on the deck and in the air today.

The two centre backs were average but I think they need to do a bit more work positionally too often they're dragged our of position.

Falkringham has had a run of a few poor games. We've all seen what he's capable of but perhaps a bit of time out of the team would do him good.

Think Salford did a really good job on Gillies and Thompson. Doubled up on them every time they got the ball and wouldn't let them play.

Beck had a very good game. Took his goals well. Unfortunately missed that one at the end there.

Cartman was his usual self. Thought he was subbed too early today. Still had a lot to offer at a time when we were turning up the pressure on Salford.

As is often the case. Turnull was our man of the match the guy is just too good. Controls games on his own. The ball in for our second was also quality. Our top performer consistently for the last 18 months.

I don't think we're too far from clicking just need to start controlling the ball from the beginning of the game.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:50 pm

Great crowd again today with good atmosphere. Neither side deserved the 3 points and I also thought we were lucky that Beck's second was allowed to stand. The number of police at the game was ridiculous as they almost outnumbered all the Salford fans put together.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:52 pm

JE93 wrote:It's not a bad point in the grand scheme of things. But i think we can all identify that we aren't the team we were when we were giving Harrogate a footballing lesson away.

For me today I thought Galbraith had a poor game. Usually a fairly solid performer but unfortunately beaten too many times on the deck and in the air today.

The two centre backs were average but I think they need to do a bit more work positionally too often they're dragged our of position.

Falkringham has had a run of a few poor games. We've all seen what he's capable of but perhaps a bit of time out of the team would do him good.

Think Salford did a really good job on Gillies and Thompson. Doubled up on them every time they got the ball and wouldn't let them play.

Beck had a very good game. Took his goals well. Unfortunately missed that one at the end there.

Cartman was his usual self. Thought he was subbed too early today. Still had a lot to offer at a time when we were turning up the pressure on Salford.

As is often the case. Turnull was our man of the match the guy is just too good. Controls games on his own. The ball in for our second was also quality. Our top performer consistently for the last 18 months.

I don't think we're too far from clicking just need to start controlling the ball from the beginning of the game.
Cartman played well today closing down brilliantly but can he play with beck?? It's only an observation not a criticism... I'm sure it will click soon..

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:15 pm

Enjoyable game today. I thought that we did enough to win but I would have taken a draw before the game.

You could tell that Salford had done their homework by stifling both Thompson & Gillies, and also by trying to intimidate a relatively young goalkeeper in Dudzinski. I thought that he coped quite well.

Scott was excellent when he came on, a performance on par with that of FC United away. Time and time again we ask whether he can step up another level, and he delivered again today.

A mention for the referee, christ he was dreadful. Salford seemed to be getting the majority, if not all, the 50:50 decisions. Falkingham was flattened on the edge of the Salford box in the first half and he waved play-on. Brown's certainly didn't look like a booking either, seemed very harsh and looked like it was unintentional. The penalty shout will be interesting to see again as the reaction from the shed seemed to think it was.

As for our second goal, as I've seen a few claim it was a foul. To me it looks like the Salford player is waiting for a foul to be made rather than attacking the ball. I think that he has to be a lot stronger in that situation.

Can imagine the uproar had it not been given.

coles

Post by coles » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:47 am

After a night of reflection to let emotions settle I still feel the referee spoilt the game every time we built up a head of steam he would pull us up for fouls that he didn't give similar against Salford. Darlo made to many rash tackles early on the first goal was a silly free kick to give away no need to make the foul as you give the ref a decision to make same as Burgess on the half way line no need to dive in. Taking Cartman off seemed a strange decision given the timing it was early in the 2nd half we'd just scored he was terroir like in his closing down and was starting to find space with good link up play. Overall I thought we did enough to win the game play like that for the rest of the season and we won't go far wrong special mention for Leon Scott who changed the game he did the dirty stuff that allowed Turnbull to be a bigger influence on the game

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:49 am

Watching the highlights for our second goal. Yes Beck gave him a push, but before that their defender had a handful of his shirt, so if anything it should have been a penalty to us. So by the referee's ineptitude, he's played a decent advantage there.

I wonder what's happened to the standard of refereeing this season - it feels far far worse than last season, despite being at a higher level. Can the local referees not cope with the quicker, stronger, and lets face it, somewhat more "professional" approach of players at this level?

Scott really changed the game when he came on. Something about playing alongside him brings the best out of Turnbull, who was magnificent in the second half.