Darlington FC v Salford City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington FC v Salford City

Post by poppyfield » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:26 pm

I wonder if there will many changes for Saturdays game following MG remarks after the Marine match? I suppose the reality is with such a small squad his options are limited.
Although Marrs has been excellent his position is now under threat from Hunter, Falkingham didn't have the his best game against Marine so Scott has to come into the reckoning. Syers, brilliant player that he is has had more impact as a sub.
Cartman or Hardy neither has cemented there place as the preferred partner to Beck.
Gillies he is without doubt a gifted player I would just like to see more big performances from him, he is good enough to take this league by the scruff of the neck and wring it dry.
Burgess was a big miss on Saturday, so hopefully he is recovered from his illness and is the team.
After his hairdryer post match talk I expect MG to go with;

Dudzinski, Marrs, Turnbull, Burgess (C), Brown, Galbraith, Thompson, Falkingham, Beck, Cartman, Gillies.

Subs: Bell, Syers,Watson,Hunter, Hardy, Scott.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlo_Pete

Re: Darlington FC v Salford City

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:16 pm

Burgess was available if we'd played Marine, having recovered from the illness, that kept him out of last Saturday's game. So he should be available for the Salford game.

theoriginalcount

Post by theoriginalcount » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Not sure how you see Marrs as under threat, quite simply he's been one of our best players over this past month or so, and certainly not under threat from Hunter, who has just returned from two months out injured.

Hunter and Brown did OK at centre back on Sunday (not Saturday!) and were solid enough, not sure what Burgess would have brought extra.

The two areas we are struggling in is, apart from Turnbull, we've had no midfield for the past two or three games. Gillies is a fantastic talent - when he turns up - but to be subbed in his last two games tells me the reason he's not playing at a MUCH higher level is his application. Falkingham has been very disappointing recently after a good start and Thommo drifts in and out of games too often for me,

The second issue is this long ball rubbish which amazes me. For a team whose strength is passing the ball, why oh why, keep going route one trying to hit Beck, who can get the odd flick on, but Hardy and Cartman can't seem to link up. And Beck misses so many chances too, when it's easier to score! He's not a centre forward in the mould of Graeme Armstrong, now he was a target man.

We need to get a result against the Glory Boys tomorrow as if not, the dissenters will start to become louder. Hopefully, MG will get the reaction he's looking for and we can get three valuable points which we desperately need.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:25 am

theoriginalcount wrote:
The second issue is this long ball rubbish which amazes me. For a team whose strength is passing the ball, why oh why, keep going route one trying to hit Beck, who can get the odd flick on, but Hardy and Cartman can't seem to link up. And Beck misses so many chances too, when it's easier to score! He's not a centre forward in the mould of Graeme Armstrong, now he was a target man.
Rubbish - both of our goals on Sunday came from Beck winning his headers in and around the box. He is actually a good target man at this level and is just as effective as Armstrong IMO.

I would love to know what passing football our fans would have played against Marine on Sunday, given that they packed the midfield and had every man behind the ball. Our best chance of scoring was hitting the ball up to Beck and winning the first or second ball, effectively bypassing Marine's packed formation.

Had we defended better on Sunday we would all be saying Gray got it spot on. Long ball wasn't the problem on Sunday, it was our defending which let us down.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:20 am

[quote="theoriginalcount"]Not sure how you see Marrs as under threat, quite simply he's been one of our best players over this past month or so, and certainly not under threat from Hunter, who has just returned from two months out injured.

Hunter and Brown did OK at centre back on Sunday (not Saturday!) and were solid enough, not sure what Burgess would have brought extra.

The two areas we are struggling in is, apart from Turnbull, we've had no midfield for the past two or three games. Gillies is a fantastic talent - when he turns up - but to be subbed in his last two games tells me the reason he's not playing at a MUCH higher level is his application. Falkingham has been very disappointing recently after a good start and Thommo drifts in and out of games too often for me,

I suppose 'under threat' was the wrong terminology, challenging would of been a better word, as I said Marrs has been excellent for us so far this season, having said that barring injury to either centre back I fully expect Hunter to play some part at RB today.
Radio tees will be covering our game today, we have been mentioned quite a bit over the last week.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg