Marine Match thread...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mission Impossible
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Marine Match thread...

Post by Mission Impossible » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:We were very poor again today. Far too many long balls to Beck and we don't seem to be able to play the ball along the ground anymore. Apart from Thomo's wonderful shot, the game was instantly forgettable. We can't play any worse than that in the replay.

Very true. Beck missed umpteen chances in the first half and the defence was poor.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:05 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Well the people around where I stood in the tinshed, all thought we were poor, I guess it's all about opinions.
Do you need the validation of others around you? Why not be confident and defend your own opinion?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:17 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Well the people around where I stood in the tinshed, all thought we were poor, I guess it's all about opinions.
I didn't say anything about being poor, I found your forgettable comment laughable. I thought that was pretty clear. Did the people around you think it was forgettable?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:32 pm

Let's hope Burgess is back for at least the Salford game. If we defend like that against them we'll get hammered Brown and Hunter were at sixes and sevens at times.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:46 pm

I've seen us play much much worse than that many times. We should have scored 6+ goals. We dominated play and they had some amazing luck in their box.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:17 pm

Good support from Marine, as there was a good 100 who made the trip.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:30 pm

Think the antics of their no 10 after he was sent off were way beyond 'acceptable' time wasting tactics. He was an embarrassment to himself and his club. I'm sure there is an offence of failing to leave the field as quickly as possible ( or something similar ) in which case will he get an additional punishment? He certainly deserves it.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:33 pm

dfc4me wrote:Think the antics of their no 10 after he was sent off were way beyond 'acceptable' time wasting tactics. He was an embarrassment to himself and his club. I'm sure there is an offence of failing to leave the field as quickly as possible ( or something similar ) in which case will he get an additional punishment? He certainly deserves it.
He shouldn't of been sent off in the first place to be honest as the Lino had his flag up for offside which the ref did not see till well after there lad were sent off..

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:41 pm

didn't see 100, but good show from them.

I really don't agree with some people's opinions that we were poor. Certainly not all game.

If anyone actually thinks about the first half, it consisted of us wasting 5 chances before they even got near our goal. We then conceded two soft goals. We need to learn how to defend set pieces. We then proceeded to create yet more chances but were wasteful again.

Second half we were ok, but reverted more to long ball and took the best player off early on. Not sure if that was to rest Josh, or whether it was tactical or whether he had a knock.

The most annoying thing was that once we got the equaliser we didn't really go on from there.

Annoyed due to poor defending and missed chances that we don't have £4k in the bank right now. Only one team deserved to win, but to say we were poor was way off. Sometimes if we don't score/win by miles people label us as poor.

I'm sure we'll win on Tuesday

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Funny that. Living in Edinburgh I go to watch hearts. Calum Paterson (right back) has scored more than their strikers. But despite being fourth in the SPL and pretty much fan funded folk up here still moan.

Hearts like darlo were on the bones of their arse a few years ago, but people have short memories.

I'll take a scrappy comeback from 2-0 thinking if I was a marine fan we'd lost the chance to progress today. Fully expect the replay to see us turn in a professional display and go through.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:49 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote: He shouldn't of been sent off in the first place to be honest as the Lino had his flag up for offside which the ref did not see till well after there lad were sent off..
The referee played advantage from the offside as they had possession and were on the break. Its not the refs fault they gave the ball away and that the lad couldn't control himself.
Earlier on he had given them a free kick after we had an offside flag against them but he rightly changed his mind on that one as we didn't get any advantage at all from the original offside decision.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Our defending of set pieces is very poor. Their second goal was terrible from our point of view. Too much use of the long ball to Beck - it wasn't working, but we persisted all game. Do you think Beck has it in his contract that he can't be subbed?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm beginning to think that having Beck in our side is detrimental to our performances, as we always seem to play long balls to him, without trying to build from the back. Beck is good on the air, but it's not the answer.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:59 pm

I don't get the 'there are in a league below so we should beat them 10-0' brigade.

We could, and should, have won the game, but didn't. However, we demonstrated the mentality and character of the squad to salvage a draw and take it to a reply.

Some damp bedsheets tonight...

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:05 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:That's why I'm upset, Tuesday 7.45 apparently. I know mate, I was going to suggest train and beer, thinking it would be the week after!
Strong case for playing this on Wednesday. I was going to go with a Liverpool fan whose now at the Leeds game. Also the end of the M62 will be chaos with Leeds coming to town!
Once Marine realise they could add at least 4 to the crowd surely they will move to Wednesday.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Beano wrote:I don't get the 'there are in a league below so we should beat them 10-0' brigade.

We could, and should, have won the game, but didn't. However, we demonstrated the mentality and character of the squad to salvage a draw and take it to a reply.

Like the bed wetting analogy there beano.

It's like a team like Bradford losing to Notts county in a cup game - would that be a huge surprise.

We came back from 2-0. Shows character. As I say I wouldn't be surprised to see us learn from today and do a job in the replay and progress.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'm beginning to think that having Beck in our side is detrimental to our performances, as we always seem to play long balls to him, without trying to build from the back. Beck is good on the air, but it's not the answer.
Again, were the 17th highest scorers in Europe. If anything needs changing it's tightening up at the back from set pieces

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:11 pm

Beano wrote:I don't get the 'there are in a league below so we should beat them 10-0' brigade.

Did anyone say we should win 10-0? They are in a league below us so we should beat them with squad we have. And we "should and could" have beat them on the day as you say but we didn't so why?

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:19 pm

divas wrote:
bga wrote:Cannot comment on the performance as I was not there......but I can comment on the result which was poor against lower league opposition. Something needs fixing quick when your leading scorer is a full back, even if he does take the penalties.
17th highest scoring team in the whole of Europe.
Did I say we have not scored enough goals as a team this season?
Question is are you happy that Cartman, Hardy and Beck have scored 16 goals between them with almost half the season gone?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:28 pm

bga wrote:but we didn't so why?
From the comments of most, ignoring darlo_pete because well he's darlo_pete, it sounds like we were quite unlucky.

I mean, might be wrong here, but I am sure that in the history of cup competitions teams in higher divisions have not only just failed to win...would you believe they have actually been beaten by teams in divisions below :o :o :o

divas

Post by divas » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:57 pm

bga wrote:
divas wrote:
bga wrote:Cannot comment on the performance as I was not there......but I can comment on the result which was poor against lower league opposition. Something needs fixing quick when your leading scorer is a full back, even if he does take the penalties.
17th highest scoring team in the whole of Europe.
Did I say we have not scored enough goals as a team this season?
Question is are you happy that Cartman, Hardy and Beck have scored 16 goals between them with almost half the season gone?
I wasn't aware that goals by strikers were worth more than other players. Personally I'm delighted that we have so many goals throughout the team and do not risk getting one player injured and having a detrimental affect on the team.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:04 pm

It makes you wonder what good it does informing officials that they are being assessed. Linesman on the dugout side totally lost his control and head today.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:29 pm

weak defending cost us. I think that's the general consensus. My old man (the moaning git that he is) is adamant that we need to strengthen at the back. And on today's performance I'm reluctant to agree with him. However, you look at our defensive players and I can't say who I would drop.

Beck is a value but once we dropped the wingers it became too predictable. I would have preferred 3-4-3 as a formation, or 3-5-2.

Thought Falkingham had his least effective game today. Turnbull was stifled. Scott should have come on instead of Syers. It was his sort of second half.

Still confident we'll win the replay and comfortably too. Gray and the lads have got too much about them not to.

One final note. Ive lost all faith in Galbraith taking penalties.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:40 pm

dickdarlington wrote: One final note. Ive lost all faith in Galbraith taking penalties.
Taken 8 this season and had two saved, shocking that like :wtf:

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:33 pm

Must admit I thought we played ok in the first half going forward and always looked like we would score but looked all over the place at the back and the Marine second goal was very poor marking with a simple header across the 6 yard line from a free kick and their lad had acres of space to score.We always seem to have to work really hard to get our goals and even today they closed us down quickly and kept their shape.Hopefully having Burgess back will make a difference at the back but I would put Chris Hunter in at right back instead of Marrs.

Falkingham has been average the last few games as has Syers and hopefully Tom Portas is not far away from returning so I would put him straight back into the team.Thats the easy bit but a bigger concern is up front, particularly Mark Beck who MG seems determined to play for the 90 minutes every game when it is painfully obvious he isn't a natural goalscorer.All these little flicks and touches are not enough and he is missing far too many chances, a sitter last week at Telford and at least 3 today.For such a big lad he is a poor header of a ball and cannot understand why MG does not partner Hardy with Cartman and rest Beck for 5 or 6 games and see how things go, absolutely nothing to lose but cannot see it happening to be honest in which case we have a problem.

One final note on todays game, what a horrible bunch of play acting, time wasting cheats Marine were today, very similar to last season, surely to god we have to see them off on Tuesday.One final point, I agree with an earlier post regarding Galbraith taking penalties, 2 missed out of 8 is not that bad but that one was poor today and a couple of others not that great so Gillies IMO should take the next one.Rant over, up the Quakers.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:12 am

Beck's knock downs yesterday created both goals. Scoring twice at home should generally be enough to win most games.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:39 am

These things happen, we really could have scored 6 in the first half yesterday. They came to disrupt and did it pretty well, but really they were never in the game. If I had a criticism it would be that we went a bit too direct a bit too early but overall it's damned hard to look good when the other team are totally focussed just on defending.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:06 am

The thing is with Beck, he is the new model Amar. Yes he plays up front. But he's there for what he adds to the team. Not solely for his goals. He sets them up for others. Knock downs. The odd free kick that's actually given. He roughs up defenders and is there to ask questions of them. The trouble we have. And seem to have always had is; when we struggle we only ask the same question. And that is can their defenders deal with the long ball.

How many goals did Amar score when he shouldn't have. And how many did he miss when it was easier to score. People slated him on here. But the moment you took him out of the team, it was noticeable what he added. Mark Beck is the same.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:18 am

We didn't play that badly from what I picked up on social media etc and if we'd have put away one of our several chances before they scored we would have probably gone on to win by a country mile. Penalties are never guaranteed and if MG thought that someone else was better than Galbraith at taking them, then they would be. Our loanee keeper had his first game for us and has yet to be settled behind a sometime dodgy defence so can't be blamed for either of the goals. The defence is our weak point and once again conceded sloppy/weak goals and if there is a better defender out there who is available etc we should try for him. Beck should be brought on for the final twenty mins if we are chasing a game - Alan White all is forgiven lol. All that said maybe Marine wanted it more on the day?
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:24 am

A disappointing performance, Marine wanted it more, as several 1 on 1 challenges darlo players jumped out of tackles. Chris Hunter still a little ring rusty so give him that, midfield were complaining to each other when passes went astray, first time I really noted that this season so much for #together, and wish thommo would stop putting hands on hips moaning when he does not get past someone, just chase back! I can put up with losing but want to see the players supporting each other more! Come on Darlo.