Paul Futcher and Bob Cass

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Paul Futcher and Bob Cass

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:59 pm

Saddened to hear today of the deaths of Paul Futcher and Bob Cass.

Futcher was briefly our manager in 1995 I believe - don't think he had the most successful of spells in charge!

And Bob Cass was a journo from the area who supported the club. Worked for quite a few of the national papers and developed a fantastic reputation.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

robsraiders

Re: Paul Futcher and Bob Cass

Post by robsraiders » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:13 pm

I met Bob Cass on several occasions a true gentleman will be a sad loss, my condolences to the Cass family

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:28 pm

Paul Futcher was a high class centre half. Really cultured player. I seem to recollect Bob Cass doing one of our social events.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:18 pm

Bob Cass did a Question and Answer session for the Football Writers' Association in 2012 in which he was asked about all manner of things, including these:

Best stadium?
"The now lately lamented stadium that used to house my team, Darlington, where 90 per cent of the 25,000 seats never had a bum on them during a football match."

Worst?
"The same because incurring the debt that it cost finished the club as a Football League outfit."

He was tweeting away when we won the title last season and was savouring the moment, saying: "Martin Gray has shown what football management is all about. Quakers - a great success story."

We were always his team no matter where football took him and I bet he would have loved to see us back home.

One of our own.

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:10 am

Paul Futcher was a really nice guy who did his best to turn round the fortunes of the team. It didn't work out the way he planned, but that doesn't detract from his record of being a fine player with a good football brain.
It was a pleasure to work with him, he was always honest and open in the interviews I did with him.
I didn't know Bob Cass despite being in the same profession and covering the Quakers during the time he claimed to be a Darlington fan.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:52 am

Andrew Wilkinson wrote: I didn't know Bob Cass despite being in the same profession and covering the Quakers during the time he claimed to be a Darlington fan.

Any need :thumbdown:
Think before posting

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:13 am

There's a nice piece about Bob here:

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/tributes- ... d-aged-78/
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:23 am

BUSHEAD wrote:
Andrew Wilkinson wrote: I didn't know Bob Cass despite being in the same profession and covering the Quakers during the time he claimed to be a Darlington fan.

Any need Image
There isn't. Entirely classless. But it's not worth engaging in a long row on this particular thread.

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:22 am

Nowhere in that tribute did it say that he was a Darlington fan. Elsewhere he said that his most memorable game was Sunderland v Leeds. Surely as a Darlo fan the most memorable game involving Leeds was Darlo's 2-2 draw there when Leeds were in Premier League.
The best game I ever covered was Boro's 3-3 FA Cup semi-final with Chesterfield at Old Trafford. But the most memorable was Darlo winning the Trophy at Wembley. That's because I'm a Darlo fan.
I'm not saying anything against Bob Cass - but when the news of his and Paul Futcher's deaths were announced, my sadness and thoughts were immediately for Paul and his family. That is because I knew him, liked him, and he worked for my club.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:41 am

It's really classless that you're choosing this thread to question a man, who was clearly fond of Darlington FC, who's just died.

In the Q+A LoidLucan quotes from, Bob Cass describes Darlington as "his team". He also attended matches - I know because I saw him at games. Why you feel the need to question this I don't know.

For people to make their own mind up, the Q+A article is here:
http://footballwriters.co.uk/fwa-qa/fwa-qa-bob-cass/

As for most memorable game, he's a North East sports reporter. Covering 2nd division Sunderland upsetting Leeds in the FA Cup final is going to be incredibly memorable. It's subjective and it's not obligatory for him to have a Darlington match as his most memorable.

There's a lot more I could say, but this is neither the appropriate time or place.

Indeed, I'd kindly ask that if you have nothing further positive to add, you respectfully keep it to yourself in this thread. It never reflects well to start questioning the recently deceased.

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:02 am

I didn't question that you saw him at games!
That said I have attended over 1000 Darlo games, most in the press box - and as far as I can recall I never saw him, and certainly never met him.
That doesn't mean he didn't have a fondness for the club, but in terms of a place in the club's history Paul Futcher is a bigger loss.
Journalists are minor people in football. Players, managers and coaches are the heroes of the game. Fans come before journalists.
Bob Cass had a fine career. He was clearly liked and respected by his colleagues. But to Darlington FC he was what exactly?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:16 am

Andrew Wilkinson wrote: Bob Cass had a fine career. He was clearly liked and respected by his colleagues. But to Darlington FC he was what exactly?
Well according to respected journalist Colin Young on Twitter, Martin Gray has said there'll be a minute's silence in his honour at tomorrow's game. I'd presume and certainly hope this includes Paul Futcher too.

So clearly Mr Cass meant something to Darlington FC.

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:30 am

I'd prefer the minute's silence to be for Paul Futcher, and if people wish, include Bob Cass. I should think Martin knew him well, and I totally respect Martin.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:46 am

Andrew as well as having a minority view on this your comments reflect really badly on you. Insensitive and unnecessary.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:54 am

It does seem odd to have a minutes silence for a supporter, to be honest. We don't do that for every darlo fan that dies do we?

Anyway, if people want to pay their respects to one or the other or both it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Agree with you Spyman
Exile - I praised a person I knew and liked and expressed sadness at his death.
I didn't and cannot to the same for someone I didn't know, and whose work I didn't read. Surely that puts me in the vast majority.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:01 pm

Andrew - you can't extend sadness at another fellow human beings passing away? Surely not?

Personal opinion but I wouldn't choose this thread to point out who supported who...

crapname

Post by crapname » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Bob Cass was my uncle. Many thanks for all of the messages of support for his family, he died after a long battle against cancer.

He was always a Darlo supporter, I remember him organising a benefit game at Feethams in the early 1980's to raise some money for us (Bob Cass XI v Malcolm McDonald XI ?). Feethams was packed as I remember.

I know his wife, children and grand children were all grateful about the minutes silence tomorrow.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:19 pm

I think the minute's silence tomorrow, should be for both Cass and Futcher, a fitting tribute to two people who served the club in different ways.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:26 pm

Spyman wrote:It does seem odd to have a minutes silence for a supporter, to be honest. We don't do that for every darlo fan that dies do we?

Anyway, if people want to pay their respects to one or the other or both it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I think it's more for the figure he was in North East football. He was very well known and widely respected for the job he did. Just go through the tributes from national and regional journalists to see how important a figure he was.

And, despite the insensitive protestations of Andrew Wilkinson, Bob was also a Darlington supporter. Hence why the club want to show some mark of respect.

loobyloo

Post by loobyloo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:45 pm

Sending my condolences to Bob's family.Having known Bob for a lot of years I will be observing the minutes silence at the game tomorrow.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:46 pm

Bob spoke at a DFCSG forum only about a year ago and his passion for Darlo was clear to hear & see. Top bloke who caused an outpouring on twitter from many when the news was announced.

Condolences to the family, very sad.