Telford ~ Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Rufusuk
Team Supported: Darlington

Telford ~ Match thread

Post by Rufusuk » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:17 pm

Any News?

woody58

Re: Telford ~ Match thread

Post by woody58 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:20 pm

15 minutes gone 0-0 couple of half chances for Darlo

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:21 pm

COME ON DARLO !!!!!!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:51 pm

H-T 0-0 Fylde winning 6-1 at h-t

woody58

Post by woody58 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:19 pm

57 Minute First change for Darlington, Cartman on for Syers. 0-0

The_Ozzman_Cometh

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:29 pm

Red card for Jameson!!
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

woody58

Post by woody58 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:31 pm

GOAL: 1-0 to Telford

woody58

Post by woody58 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Telford’s Josh Wilson sends Mark Bell the wrong way from the spot after Jameson had conceded the penalty. Bell on for Gillies. 1-0

woody58

Post by woody58 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:38 pm

GOAL... 2-0 Telford

The_Ozzman_Cometh

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:38 pm

2-0
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Effing rats cocks....

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:41 pm

Not looking good. Jameson will be in the dog house tonight.

woody58

Post by woody58 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:58 pm

FT Telford 2 Darlington 0 .... Bad day at the office role on next week

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Ref friend of mine says not a sending off as their player aggressively challenged while Jameson had the ball under control even with one hand , could easily have sent their man off ,however on to the next game ,

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:46 pm

onewayup wrote:Ref friend of mine says not a sending off as their player aggressively challenged while Jameson had the ball under control even with one hand , could easily have sent their man off ,however on to the next game ,
Were that the case, and it was hard to see from the away end, the only difference would have been a free kick to us, and still a red for Jameson. He was absolutely stupid today, and I think he knew it. We were getting well on top at the time, and he chucked it away. Major grovelling needed I think.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:20 pm

Fylde won 9-2 against Boston this afternoon!
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:27 pm

Jameson is making far too many mistakes for my liking,OK he has great potential but may well have cost us 3 points today, stupid mistake, no excuse and really hope MG sorts the lad out.Possibly we may need a more experienced keeper and give him more time to learn his trade.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:56 pm

Looked like a push in the chest for me, yellow card at the absolute most. Still, absolutely no need to react, especially as play was still live. Gives Gray a headache now as he'll have to bring someone in for 3 games

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:55 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Fylde won 9-2 against Boston this afternoon!
Not bad for a supposedly average side, reliant on the one player. Think the titles gone now, which is probably not a bad thing.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Just back from the match, a really disappointing result in the end. There was nothing in the game, we were well on top for most of the game. We had loads of possession and at worst were coming away with a 0-0 draw until Jameson's moment of madness. We were at the other end but from where I was it looked a clear red although I am sure the ref shouldn't have given a pen as it looked a free kick to Darlo when their player was kicking Jameson's hands! After the sending off, we had to take off Gillies and the game was over.

The lads battled really hard and can't be faulted for effort. I still don't see the attraction with Marrs, he lost every header and was caught out of position often today, neither has he looked an attacking threat.

Finally, the ref, oh my word, he was atrocious. Fussy, inept and bad judgement on so many occasions. He missed a blatant push on Beck in the area just before their second goal. He booked their goalie for timewasting when he had just enough time to get the ball and place it.

Anyway, a chance to change things around a bit against Marine next week and maybe give Beck a rest.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:18 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Jameson is making far too many mistakes for my liking,OK he has great potential but may well have cost us 3 points today, stupid mistake, no excuse and really hope MG sorts the lad out.Possibly we may need a more experienced keeper and give him more time to learn his trade.
Is your knee still jerking........

You obviously didn't see his 'mistake-laden performance' at Tamworth then....

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:29 pm

Darlo2001, like I said, he has almost certainly cost us 3 points today, OK he had a great game at Tamworth but he has moments of madness and has got to cut out these mistakes, could be worth bringing in some experienced keeper to be honest, no excuse for what he did today, let his team mates down big style.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Not a knee jerk reaction or anything but I'll throw it out there- GK is the only area of the pitch we haven't improved in the last couple of seasons.

I was encouraged by the interview he gave recently when he said MG had identified he was a bit heavy and not as agile as he could be, I think that was a good observation.

If he gets another chance - and let's be honest Martin isn't one to give too many chances - he'll need to knuckle down on that and accelerate his development. He's still young for a keeper, it's certainly not too late.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:56 pm

How old is he?

Hard to disagree with most of what darlobaz says, although I like marrs generally. We were just getting a stranglehold on things before the sending off, but didn't *really* do enough before that, although we probably should have scored just before ht.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:58 pm

It had to be a sending off, you can't react, though I felt we should have had the free kick.

Their keeper got booked for time wasting because he did. While he retrieved the ball he had a chat to the ball girl and said don't get the ball for me.

We had a really good spell just before half time and their defending and keeping was desperate but effective.

Once we went down to 10 I thought they used the extra man really well to be honest.

Wish I hadn't gone to be honest, because the reason we got beat is because our keeper couldn't control his anger, and when I take a day off work and travel that far I'd rather not have us beat because of something that didn't need to happen.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:22 pm

m62exile wrote:I'll throw it out there- GK is the only area of the pitch we haven't improved in the last couple of seasons.
Holds water :|
m62exile wrote:If he gets another chance - and let's be honest Martin isn't one to give too many chances
Mitchell only got so many :|
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Fylde won 9-2 against Boston this afternoon!
Not bad for a supposedly average side, reliant on the one player. Think the titles gone now, which is probably not a bad thing.
The title's not gone with one result today, and it's certainly not gone half way through November - anything could yet happen.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:28 pm

m62exile wrote:Not a knee jerk reaction or anything but I'll throw it out there- GK is the only area of the pitch we haven't improved in the last couple of seasons.

I was encouraged by the interview he gave recently when he said MG had identified he was a bit heavy and not as agile as he could be, I think that was a good observation.

If he gets another chance - and let's be honest Martin isn't one to give too many chances - he'll need to knuckle down on that and accelerate his development. He's still young for a keeper, it's certainly not too late.
Valid points but I do think Jameson has improved as a keeper in the past couple of seasons.

I wasn't there today but it sounds like a rush of blood to the head and he (along with the team) have paid the penalty - no pun intended.

The main thing is that he learns from it. As you say, he's still young for a keeper and can progress from it.

And as for Gray not being forgiving, remember a few seasons ago when he was sent from the dugouts 4 or 5 times in one season. If anything, he's well-placed to pass on advice on how to control aggression and emotions.

Jameson, on his day, is a terrific keeper and he's saved us plenty of points. He needs to be given a bit of slack in this instance.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:38 pm

There were 10 other players in our team today and although Jameson was stupid beyond belief, there was only 3 or 4 that played anywhere near to a standard we have come to expect. We gave the ball away cheaply far too often and we were too reliant on the "Beck" ball. We have become a bit too predictable with that.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:41 pm

tdk1 wrote:How old is he?

Hard to disagree with most of what darlobaz says, although I like marrs generally. We were just getting a stranglehold on things before the sending off, but didn't *really* do enough before that, although we probably should have scored just before ht.
Jameson is 23.

I'm actually going to defend him here, especially from those on Twitter who want him crucified.

Jameson is a fine young goalkeeper, who has helped this football club gain 2 promotions in 14/15 & 15/16. Both of these seasons have been the only seasons that Jameson has played fully through-out his career, having been on the bench predominately for us in 13/14 and gaining some Northern League experience at Sunderland RCA & Consett before that.

It's all well and good pointing the finger at him when mistakes are made, but I remember fine performances against Spennymoor, Tamworth, Stockport, Northwich, Stourbridge and Matlock, to name a few. That performance against Spennymoor on Bonfire Night 2014 was the best I've seen from a Darlington goalkeeper since we were demoted.

Yes today he was totally unacceptable, as he was when he showed petulance against FC United earlier this season, but he is only young, he will mature. And again, as alluded to previously, I think people forgot just how little experience he has compared to others.

Aside from playing through a thigh injury this season, he also played the back end of the 14/15 season with a broken hand.

Maybe it has taken an incident like this for the coaching staff to have a word. He will be just as disappointed/upset/frustrated as we all are at the moment. All a learning curve for him as it is for us as a club at the moment.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:48 pm

First half was pretty even and nothing much in it, we weren't winning the 2nd ball much, we were giving the ball away too often and reverted to the big ball to Beck more than we should (don't have an issue with the direct ball but we were relying on it too much today).

2nd half started similar and Gray decided to switch us from the 4-3-3 back to 4-4-2 with Syers off for Cartman, didn't get chance to see if it would work to get us the win but did fancy us to get a draw. Then Jameson had red mist, can't defend him at all got what he deserved, not going to slate him as it won't change anything but I presume Gray will have words and let Jameson know.

From then onwards Telford deserved the win really and no arguing. Gray is looking to bring a keeper in which is good news because Belly isn't the answer.

In regards to the comment about Marrs, it wasn't one of his better games today the lad had the beating of him in the air and they targeted that but he has been very good this season.

Seen some moans about Thompson but whilst not being great he actually looked like someone who may create the ball, put a number of crosses in first half that could have lead to a goal.

Poor game by us but we were in with a shout up until the sending off, lads will have to make up for it.