Name change to Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Name change to Darlington FC

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:38 pm

I see (on Twitter the FSA have contacted a number of DFC supporters in regards to the FA contact them about our name change.

Asking if we support/oppose the name change.
Have the club consulted the fans on this.

A number of fans have responded, looks like it could happen this summer.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Re: Name change to Darlington FC

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Who are the FSA?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

quakerlady

Post by quakerlady » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:08 pm

Football Supporters Federation. Should have read FSF.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:05 pm

quakerlady wrote:Football Supporters Federation. Should have read FSF.
Haha, yeah you're right.

The FSA is the Financial Services Authority, not sure what they have to do with it :lol:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:03 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:The FSA is the Financial Services Authority, not sure what they have to do with it :lol:
Was...

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:25 am

Do we even need to be consulted on this? Wouldn't give very good odds on keeping the numbers

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:01 pm

would it be best to ask the 500 club for their thoughts?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:26 pm

There's no need to consult anyone.

We did not let the club die, like fans of other clubs have done. Had we let it die and started again, then it would need discussing because some people might feel that we should not retake the name of an old club that died.

But the thing is, we saved the club and the club continued. The club should actually have been called Darlington all along but the FA forced us to change that. We aren't really trying to get our name back, we're asking to be able to call ourselves what we always have been - everyone apart from the mongiest of mongs knows that we are simply "Darlington".

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Quakerz wrote:There's no need to consult anyone.

We did not let the club die, like fans of other clubs have done. Had we let it die and started again, then it would need discussing because some people might feel that we should not retake the name of an old club that died.

But the thing is, we saved the club and the club continued. The club should actually have been called Darlington all along but the FA forced us to change that. We aren't really trying to get our name back, we're asking to be able to call ourselves what we always have been - everyone apart from the mongiest of mongs knows that we are simply "Darlington".
Quakerz: The voice of reason
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm hoping that the FA will be sympathetic to Darlington FC's request, as the Football Supporters' Federation intervention seems to be at the request of the FA in the first instance - the wheels appear to be in motion. A successful conclusion to the name change appeal would be a fitting tribute to all those who invested so much time, energy and resources in saving our club

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Quakerz wrote:There's no need to consult anyone......
There absolutely is a reason to consult.

If the FA just did what the club want, then Hull City would have become Hull Tigers a couple of years back. The FA refused the request because of the objections of the Hull fans.

Here, the consultation should be a formality, but without that consultation how can the FA know that?

The FA need to be able to show they have a basis for agreeing to the club's request

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:02 pm

If a DFSG consultation &/or vote is required then get on with it.

The tantrums about the 1883 suffix can then come to an end.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:58 pm

spen666 wrote:

If the FA just did what the club want, then Hull City would have become Hull Tigers a couple of years back. The FA refused the request because of the objections of the Hull fans.

Here, the consultation should be a formality, but without that consultation how can the FA know that?

The FA need to be able to show they have a basis for agreeing to the club's request
Yeh it's the same situation. Remember that time when the Hull owners bought a club called Hull Tigers but were forced by the FA to change their name to Hull City.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:10 pm

The FA 'should' stick to their precedent set when they allowed Farsley Celtic and Hyde United revert to their original playing names in May 2015. Both 5 years after the name change (Farsley was similar to us other than they actually went bust, Hyde was down to a sponsorship deal that they had with Manchester City).

In fact, I'm sure that Spennymoor Town were offered Spennymoor United back from the FA, however they declined after a vote.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:04 pm

Is this not some fan organisation being dicks and wanting to stir up crap by getting people to say they don't want to change name?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:20 pm

shawry wrote:Is this not some fan organisation being dicks and wanting to stir up crap by getting people to say they don't want to change name?

I may be wrong but the same thought had crossed my mind.

I don't think we should be making waves about this right now. Let's just be happy with what the BBC call us, get moved home and focus on the football.

We all know which way a vote would go and we all know the 5 year rule runs out at the end of the season. I'm sure it'll get dealt with appropriately and at the right time.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:40 pm

shawry wrote:Is this not some fan organisation being dicks and wanting to stir up crap by getting people to say they don't want to change name?

Nope, they're on here - http://www.fsf.org.uk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:07 am

Quakerz, whilst I often agree with your reasoned judgements and certainly agree about our name, I'd politely ask you to refrain from using derogatory disability terms such as "mong". It's offensive and unnecessary.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 am

I apologise...

"only the most retarded of retards"

And before anyone starts, a retard is a medical description which spread to slang.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:17 am

Come on quakerz, that's a backhanded apology and you're still using terminology for people with learning disabilities. You're better than that.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:45 am

Retard, idiot, moron, all have been medical terms which have spread to slang.

There is even a song about Gordon being a moron.

Was going to edit yet again to "the most idiotic of idiots", or "the most moronic of morons" but no doubt that will upset someone too...

So I will just say "only the stupidest of fans" instead. Or will that offend people who know someone who is stupid?

To be fair to you though - you are right regarding the "m" word. It has never been a medical term which then spread to slang - it's always been a derogatory term, pure and simple.

I can see why you would have been offended as well as others, and I take that particular comment back, it was not wise and I apologise again for it. It's just something that slipped from my fingers when typing and not thinking.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm impressed with your response! Don't let it stop your scathing, harsh but witty comments. We'll discuss it over a pint in the marquee at bm!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:44 pm

So long as we don't have a full referendum, I couldn't stand it after Brexit as we would end up being called Hartlepool Exiles or something worse! ;-)

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:49 pm

QuakerPete wrote:

They arent the FA, thats what I mean, this is basically so if the FA allow us to revert to our proper name, they can kick up a stink and say the fans of 1883 didnt ask for that.

Well thats how I read it anyway.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:00 am

Quakerz wrote:Retard, idiot, moron, all have been medical terms which have spread to slang.

There is even a song about Gordon being a moron.

Was going to edit yet again to "the most idiotic of idiots", or "the most moronic of morons" but no doubt that will upset someone too...

So I will just say "only the stupidest of fans" instead. Or will that offend people who know someone who is stupid?

To be fair to you though - you are right regarding the "m" word. It has never been a medical term which then spread to slang - it's always been a derogatory term, pure and simple.

I can see why you would have been offended as well as others, and I take that particular comment back, it was not wise and I apologise again for it. It's just something that slipped from my fingers when typing and not thinking.
I know lots of stupid people... Not personally, I just know where you can find large groups of them.... The Victoria Ground between 3 and 5 on a Saturday afternoon :lol:

Sorry.... :)

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:01 am

spen666 wrote:

Hardly the same thing is it....

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:02 am

shawry wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:

They arent the FA, thats what I mean, this is basically so if the FA allow us to revert to our proper name, they can kick up a stink and say the fans of 1883 didnt ask for that.

How I have read it is the FA have outsourced the discussion to the FSF.

Basically the FA are happy to go ahead with a name change, rather than just do it on the 'say-so' of the club they have basically outsourced a survey of "the fans" by the FSF to ensure it is the right decision.

It is the FA covering themselves so that if the name does change and people like love it! start complaining because they love being 1883 they can say well it was the decision of the fans.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:45 am

lo36789 wrote:
shawry wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:

Basically the FA are happy to go ahead with a name change, rather than just do it on the 'say-so' of the club they have basically outsourced a survey of "the fans" by the FSF to ensure it is the right decision.

It is the FA covering themselves so that if the name does change and people like love it! start complaining because they love being 1883 they can say well it was the decision of the fans.
I couldn't see anything about Darlo on their website. Is there a link to this survey? I doubt the FA have anything to do with it - are they that far-sighted to outsource a survey for something they probably don't even know is coming?

It sounds more like the FSF have seized on an old bit of news and thought it's something they can use to help themselves look more great.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:58 am

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
shawry wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:

I couldn't see anything about Darlo on their website. Is there a link to this survey? I doubt the FA have anything to do with it - are they that far-sighted to outsource a survey for something they probably don't even know is coming?

It sounds more like the FSF have seized on an old bit of news and thought it's something they can use to help themselves look more great.
It's an email sent out to FSF members:
Dear Member,

The Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) have be contacted by The FA regards Darlington 1883 request to change their playing name to Darlington for the start of the 2017/18 season.

As members of the FSF who support Darlington 1883 we would very much like to hear from you regards this change; do you support or oppose this change and if you feel the club have consulted their supporters sufficiently on this?

We look forward to hearing from you so we can include your response in our reply to The FA.

Many thanks
The FSF aren't being dicks, they aren't trying to make themselves look great, they are simply seeking the views of Darlo fans (you say who you support when you sign up with the FSF) re the name change.

Clearly the FA, through the FSF, want to get fan feedback. Hopefully there will be plenty of Darlo fans emailing the FSF to explain why its so important that we drop the digits and get our rightful name back ASAP.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Quakerz wrote:There's no need to consult anyone.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^

One club - One history.
spen666 wrote:

No there really isnt a need.

The FA know this. They know how we feel. We all told them. We all hate the stupid name forced on us by cretinous FA blazers with little concept of what football is about.

There is your consultation done and dusted. That was easy wasn't it? Change it back. Now.