Telford and Jim Willis

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Rufusuk
Team Supported: Darlington

Telford and Jim Willis

Post by Rufusuk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:31 am

I remember going to Telford on Easter Monday (1990?), where the 'magnificent' Jim Willis broke his leg.
I think David Cork scored late on and we won 1-0.

Didn't Jim Willis move on with Brian Little to play at the highest level for Leicester City?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Re: Telford and Jim Willis

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:04 am

Rufusuk wrote:I remember going to Telford on Easter Monday (1990?), where the 'magnificent' Jim Willis broke his leg.

Didn't Jim Willis move on with Brian Little to play at the highest level for Leicester City?
Yes, he's a taxi driver now.

ron-harbertson-hero

Post by ron-harbertson-hero » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:23 am

Mid-day Kick off. All ticket. I arrived just after the kick off en route from a holiday in Pembrokeshire. No ticket and so I watched the game through a gap in the iron doors at the end of the pitch. I nearly saw Jim Willis get injured and nearly saw the goal.
The other Telford experience was the FA Cup replay in 1985, we lost 0ne nil and Telford went on to play Everton in the next round.
I shall be there on Saturday....third time lucky.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:01 am

David Corner got the goal in that Easter game, he also got the goal in the 1-1 draw at home.
4 times we've played Telford, the 2 league games and 2 cup. W1 D2 L1 F3 A3.
Fun fact: Smudger played in all 4 games.

EDIT: This is technically correct but I did neglect that we have played AFC Telford a further 3 times, who we play on Saturday.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:33 pm

ron-harbertson-hero wrote:Mid-day Kick off. All ticket. I arrived just after the kick off en route from a holiday in Pembrokeshire. No ticket and so I watched the game through a gap in the iron doors at the end of the pitch. I nearly saw Jim Willis get injured and nearly saw the goal.
The other Telford experience was the FA Cup replay in 1985, we lost 0ne nil and Telford went on to play Everton in the next round.
I thought we lost that replay 3-0. Memory not what it was. Horrible train journey home on a Tuesday night.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Rufusuk wrote:I remember going to Telford on Easter Monday (1990?), where the 'magnificent' Jim Willis broke his leg.

I remember hearing the crack when Jimmy broke his leg, not a sound I want to hear again.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:04 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:

I remember hearing the crack when Jimmy broke his leg, not a sound I want to hear again.
Was it as loud as when Brian Henderson broke his leg in two places against Stockport County.
Could be heard all round Feethams. Never played again. Coincidentally I think our other full back also broke his leg the same match.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Doubt it will be as loud as John McClelland's snap v the chimps at their place (96/97). It's an image I have that just won't go away, even 20 years on. Bloody Andy Crosby!

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:42 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
ron-harbertson-hero wrote:Mid-day Kick off. All ticket. I arrived just after the kick off en route from a holiday in Pembrokeshire. No ticket and so I watched the game through a gap in the iron doors at the end of the pitch. I nearly saw Jim Willis get injured and nearly saw the goal.
I thought we lost that replay 3-0. Memory not what it was. Horrible train journey home on a Tuesday night.
we did loose it 3-0 i was there

ron-harbertson-hero

Post by ron-harbertson-hero » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Chopper wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
we did loose it 3-0 i was there

1985 not 2011.

darlocity
Team Supported: Darlington-Man City

Post by darlocity » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:54 pm

I also remember the train journey after the FA Cup replay which we did lose 3-0. Had to skip school in the afternoon to catch the train. Sure it was about 0200hrs when I got home and was up at 0330hrs for the milk round then off to school, with my forged letter explaining that I was ill the previous afternoon. I;m sure my teacher knew where we all were but was a Darlo fan. The ground will be unrecognizable now to the 1985 game.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:31 pm

It's been entirely rebuilt and turned through 90 degrees since then. Very tidy ground for the level, as it was built by a rich backer before they went pop.

They had a mini celebration of the 85 win before the trophy game in 2011, which was a bit irritating. We were way too good for them that day though.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:40 pm

That replay was my first and only trip on a Darlo supporters bus - scarred for life. Even the old dears in pie stand felt sorry for us and wished we score a consolatilon goal

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:01 pm

I remember the train trip to Telford, probably the only time we've had a football special to an away game, apart from trips to poolie and perhaps that cup game at Boro.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I remember the train trip to Telford, probably the only time we've had a football special to an away game, apart from trips to poolie and perhaps that cup game at Boro.
Derby away 1967 in the League Cup.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I remember the train trip to Telford, probably the only time we've had a football special to an away game, apart from trips to poolie and perhaps that cup game at Boro.
Still my favourite all time game. at the start of the Brian Clough / Peter Taylor era at Derby. Quarter finals of the league cup. Eight second half goals , 1-0 up at half time, to 5-2 down, back to 5-4 and hit bar in dying seconds. Bugger.
Who said Darlington don't do cups.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:33 pm

banktopp wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:
Still my favourite all time game. at the start of the Brian Clough / Peter Taylor era at Derby. Quarter finals of the league cup. Eight second half goals , 1-0 up at half time, to 5-2 down, back to 5-4 and hit bar in dying seconds. Bugger.
Who said Darlington don't do cups.
Rather bizarrely many years ago I used to live near Derby and I'd have supported Derby in those days, but I have no memories of that game.