Car parking at BM

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

banktopp
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Car parking at BM

Post by banktopp » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:56 pm

Undercovered wrote:I wonder how other clubs in the league manage who get similar attendances yet have less on-ground parking....
They probably don't have as many whinging , whining and utterly gormless fans who are totally incapable of being anywhere more than 100yds from their car.

Cockerton48

Post by Cockerton48 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:27 pm

As an exiled supporter (living in Dorset) I don't get to many games (!) but I am a shareholder and member of the Supporters Club....if I drive from Dorset for a home game and can't get in the car park I will not be happy if I have to park in town or elsewhere. I would add that whilst not disabled I have heart problems and cannot walk far. How do I stand for a spot?

micra3

Post by micra3 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Cockerton48 wrote:As an exiled supporter (living in Dorset) I don't get to many games (!) but I am a shareholder and member of the Supporters Club....if I drive from Dorset for a home game and can't get in the car park I will not be happy if I have to park in town or elsewhere. I would add that whilst not disabled I have heart problems and cannot walk far. How do I stand for a spot?
125 places - pay on the day first come first served.
M I C R A 3

The Equalizer

Post by The Equalizer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:57 pm

Cockerton48 wrote:As an exiled supporter (living in Dorset) I don't get to many games (!) but I am a shareholder and member of the Supporters Club....if I drive from Dorset for a home game and can't get in the car park I will not be happy if I have to park in town or elsewhere. I would add that whilst not disabled I have heart problems and cannot walk far. How do I stand for a spot?
Just get there early like, I imagine that quite a few will park nearby for free and walk anyways rather than pay

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:21 pm

The Equalizer wrote:
Just get there early like, I imagine that quite a few will park nearby for free and walk anyways rather than pay

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
But that's the crux of the problem, there are not many free to park nearby places.

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:32 pm

Totally agree with Quakerz what's wrong with walking, there is lots of off street parking off Southend Avenue, Blackwell Lane, Hartford Road all a 6-7 minute walk away and town is only a ten minute walk away, Feethams never had any parking but perhaps we were all fitter in those days!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:40 pm

Probably in the same boat as the rest of the pay on the days. Get there early is the simple answer.

it simply isn't commercial to issue car parking on a case by case basis determined by need.

Not sure if 48 is your age or year if birth. If it's the latter park near a bus stop and use your pass - if it's the former park near a bus stop and pay for the bus. If I you have travelled from Dorset then the extra cost of your bus ticket will be a small marginal additional cost.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:03 pm

Whilst I agree that parking won't be 100% perfect I'm just wondering what some of the moaners expect the club(s) to do. Find extra land and an extra few thousand quid lying spare.

It is what it is and we have to make the best of it. We knew we were starting with a base and it wouldn't be perfect

dfc1883

Post by dfc1883 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:36 pm

The Equalizer wrote:
If he gets there early, but doesn't have a bar pass, will he have to walk to town to get a drink?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:48 pm

dfc1883 wrote:
The Equalizer wrote:
If he gets there early, but doesn't have a bar pass, will he have to walk to town to get a drink?
No, there will the marquee at Blackwell Meadows and of course there is Blackwell Grange over the road if he wants posh surroundings - indeed he could even park there for free.

Cockerton48

Post by Cockerton48 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:44 pm

Thank you to everyone for their comments regarding parking for travelling to a home game from Dorset. I was born in 48 and do have heart problems.....nevertheless my initial post was sent only slightly tongue in cheek. I will always arrive early and have a drink (or two) before the game (if the pubs are open)...I remember "Boro" years ago! My point was double edged....I have not lived in Darlo' for 48 years....and it has changed. Although I have been back (not often) it HAS changed, a LOT. I accept the comments regarding buses but as an exile, without research, where do you park to catch a bus, where from, what number? I don't need answers now as I can find these things out, but my first point is linked to my second point....just suppose that you are an away supporter arriving in Darlo to watch the game but are not early and can't park at the ground....where do you go? To follow on (if you are still with me) I hope for a good run in the Trophy
and would love us to play Poole Town (probably my nearest ground) (but would be a tricky game). If I were coming from Darlo (it is a long journey - as it is for me going up there) - where do I park, drink, catch a bus (?). Anyway comments off my chest.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
dfc1883 wrote:
The Equalizer wrote:
No, there will the marquee at Blackwell Meadows and of course there is Blackwell Grange over the road if he wants posh surroundings - indeed he could even park there for free.
Now look what you have started! I have stayed there a few times sometimes they ask for your car registration sometimes they don't. Unless they are really thick I would expect them to "wise up" to what is about to happen. If they are Commercially aware they may be able to make a bit of revenue from this. Park free if you have a drink or food there, pay if not?

Darlo1235

Post by Darlo1235 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:04 pm

Could park at Sainsbury's and walk. 3 hours free

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:13 pm

The X34 bus runs that way and there is a bus stop fairly close to BM

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:31 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:The X34 bus runs that way and there is a bus stop fairly close to BM

Or the X26/27 bus runs every 20 minutes.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:12 am

Darlo1235 wrote:Could park at Sainsbury's and walk. 3 hours free
I think that policy may be re-visited fairly soon!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:44 am

QuakerPete wrote:
Darlo1235 wrote:Could park at Sainsbury's and walk. 3 hours free
I think that policy may be re-visited fairly soon!
I think it'll depend on how many fans use the car park. If the car park is packed with fans parking their, then I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of matchday restrictions were put in place. But I suspect that fans won't fancy a 15 minute walk to the ground and it won't be overused. But time will tell.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:42 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:But I suspect that fans won't fancy a 15 minute walk to the ground and it won't be overused.
Seriously - is this the state of public health in the UK where a 15 minute walk is deemed to be overly daunting and excessive?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:45 am

Cockerton48 wrote:Thank you to everyone for their comments regarding parking for travelling to a home game from Dorset. I was born in 48 and do have heart problems.....nevertheless my initial post was sent only slightly tongue in cheek. I will always arrive early and have a drink (or two) before the game (if the pubs are open)...I remember "Boro" years ago! My point was double edged....I have not lived in Darlo' for 48 years....and it has changed. Although I have been back (not often) it HAS changed, a LOT. I accept the comments regarding buses but as an exile, without research, where do you park to catch a bus, where from, what number? I don't need answers now as I can find these things out, but my first point is linked to my second point....just suppose that you are an away supporter arriving in Darlo to watch the game but are not early and can't park at the ground....where do you go? To follow on (if you are still with me) I hope for a good run in the Trophy
and would love us to play Poole Town (probably my nearest ground) (but would be a tricky game). If I were coming from Darlo (it is a long journey - as it is for me going up there) - where do I park, drink, catch a bus (?). Anyway comments off my chest.
Contact the Supporters Group before you come and ask them for help. You can either use the contact form on the website or send a message via Facebook (100% response rate, 8-hours response time).

http://www.dfcsg.co.uk/contact

https://www.facebook.com/darlingtonfcsg

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:33 am

This whole car parking problem is obviously a lot more of a concern than I appreciated.
Our unfit, overweight, chain smoking supporters really need to be catered for better. The daunting prospect of a fifteen minute walk will have a dramatic effect on attendances.
Our first priority is not increasing the seating capacity at BM, but increasing the car parking capacity.
The solution is obvious, with limited space we must build a multi-storey car park over the existing car park. Funding could be part financed by getting say 500 supporters to pay for 5 years parking in advance. we could call it the 500 club.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:51 am

i think your minimising this. It's a total of 30 minutes but at least people will have a rest between walks! If you go to premier league grounds like OT or Anfield it's almost impossible to park within 15 minutes walk of the ground. Can't believe what an issue people are making of this-get walking boots on and exercise.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:22 am

banktopp wrote:This whole car parking problem is obviously a lot more of a concern than I appreciated.
Our unfit, overweight, chain smoking supporters really need to be catered for better. The daunting prospect of a fifteen minute walk will have a dramatic effect on attendances.
Our first priority is not increasing the seating capacity at BM, but increasing the car parking capacity.
The solution is obvious, with limited space we must build a multi-storey car park over the existing car park. Funding could be part financed by getting say 500 supporters to pay for 5 years parking in advance. we could call it the 500 club.
On the flip side, given our obvious poor state of health, I suspect the 500 will soon be rapidly diminished by the Grim Reaper, thus giving up space and season ticket revenue, unless it goes to their next of kin. I did hear that the average age of an Old Trafford season ticket holder was well over 70 as families decided not to let the club know of the holder's demise and kept paying their subs.....

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:25 pm

To solve the problem, and assist with the long term health of our supporters, can't we build really big Bike Sheds?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:26 pm

People do realise that although it is called the 500 club, there are 500 members, as the full allocation wasn't taken up by fans?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:44 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:People do realise that although it is called the 500 club, there are 500 members, as the full allocation wasn't taken up by fans?
Think this should be your new autosig. It would make as much sense and be as relevant to any other e-mail as it is to this discussion.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:21 pm

Having moved to Newton Aycliffe over the summer, my travel plan is to get the train to Darlo maybe have a drink or two at Feethams and then get down to Blackwell it's not that far (ironically probably just as far as it was to get to the Arena!). Just out of curiosity is there a supporters group this way? Cheers :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

theoriginalcount

Post by theoriginalcount » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Has anyone explored a 'Park and Ride' scheme to alleviate the potential car parking issues as not everyone who supports the team actually lives in the town and as such, have to drive and need SOMEWHERE to park?

I have a good friend who owns a local transport company and I mentioned this to him, whereby he said for someone in authority from the Club to give him a call and discuss. There are a number of places relatively local to BM where, if an agreement can be reached with owners of, say, The Arena or Croft Racing Circuit, whereby both have ample car parking spaces, then for a nominal fare, a shuttle bus could be provided to and from the ground.

It would solve a lot of problems and a contentious issue for those not able or wishing to walk to the ground?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:49 pm

theoriginalcount wrote:Has anyone explored a 'Park and Ride' scheme to alleviate the potential car parking issues as not everyone who supports the team actually lives in the town and as such, have to drive and need SOMEWHERE to park?

I have a good friend who owns a local transport company and I mentioned this to him, whereby he said for someone in authority from the Club to give him a call and discuss. There are a number of places relatively local to BM where, if an agreement can be reached with owners of, say, The Arena or Croft Racing Circuit, whereby both have ample car parking spaces, then for a nominal fare, a shuttle bus could be provided to and from the ground.

It would solve a lot of problems and a contentious issue for those not able or wishing to walk to the ground?
There are about 200 car parks in town - basically every piece of unused land is one these days. Then there are service buses and the council built a new bus stop outside the ground OR you can share and get a taxi.

It shouldn't be contentious at all basically people want something to whinge about. Even if we had enough car parking spaces for the whole capacity I am sure the next problem would be the lack of a shuttle bus from the furthest reaches of the car park to the turnstile gate.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:23 pm

lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalcount wrote:Has anyone explored a 'Park and Ride' scheme to alleviate the potential car parking issues as not everyone who supports the team actually lives in the town and as such, have to drive and need SOMEWHERE to park?

There are about 200 car parks in town - basically every piece of unused land is one these days. Then there are service buses and the council built a new bus stop outside the ground OR you can share and get a taxi.

It shouldn't be contentious at all basically people want something to whinge about. Even if we had enough car parking spaces for the whole capacity I am sure the next problem would be the lack of a shuttle bus from the furthest reaches of the car park to the turnstile gate.
............will there be turnstiles for both right handed and left handed fans please?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:50 am

What if you're ambidextrous?