Pre Blackwell Meadows beers

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

allertonquaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre Blackwell Meadows beers

Post by allertonquaker » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:18 pm

Can you get a pint in Blackwell Grange Hotel ? Cheap parking too ....

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:29 pm

AndyPark wrote:Just gunna contradict my point further up and say places I'll end up heading.

Steads, Boot & Shoe, Woollen Mill or Hoskins. All cheap and cheerful.
Problem with Hoskins Andy is you only get what you pay for regards quality.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:34 pm

My opinion wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Just gunna contradict my point further up and say places I'll end up heading.

Steads, Boot & Shoe, Woollen Mill or Hoskins. All cheap and cheerful.
Problem with Hoskins Andy is you only get what you pay for regards quality.
Fair enough it's crap and watered down pints; just stick to the bottles of Budweiser or something.

It'll certainly have some custom from Darlo fans on match-day. They'd be stupid to not open before games.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:36 pm

allertonquaker wrote:Can you get a pint in Blackwell Grange Hotel ? Cheap parking too ....
I guess you can, but it would probably be very expensive, it would be a lousy pint and the atmosphere in the bar would be as flat as a fart.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:59 pm

The answer we got last night about 85 people being allowed in the bar being down to health and safety just doesn't ring true.My wife has been in there on several occasions for work does,party's etc when the place has been rammed.
One of the good points about HP is a bit of chat with the lads after a game when we were all in the same bar.Now they will no doubt be confined to the corporate ba upstairs or the"members" bar.I don't know about anyone else out there but this smacks of a bit of us and them elitism to me .Yes I know we can get a pint in the tent outside the ground but is this why we buy season tickets,join the SG,buy shares,join the lottery and buy 50/50s so we are made to feel alienated before we even move in!.Also agree with the many on Twitter that a fiver to park is steep to say the least.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:18 pm

Ok here's my take on these two issues.

First up the parking - hated it at the Arena, thought it was a rip off. However there we were miles outside of the town next to the by-pass with no real alternatives. There was 1500 spaces so usually half empty. Also it was 2003 - thirteen years ago - when the fiver charge was initiated. So whilst this charge is still a little higher than I'd be wanting to pay the scenario is different, particularly seeing as we don't get all the revenue from it.

Also, as John Tempest said last night - that's what the budget is based on - so reducing it reduces the budget elsewhere, and in any case it will still be massively over-subscribed at a fiver a piece in any case by fans who probably currently use the car park at HP. I won't be using it - just like the vast majority I don't use the car park at HP or did at the Arena so I find it hard to be too agitated by it.

As for the bar - I do not understand why capacity is limited to 85 but I'm sure as hell this isn't what DFC would want. This is the root cause and with that being enforced I'm not sure what a better alternative would be. First come, first served on a matchday? A lottery? Whatever was picked to try and manage the capacity here it still wouldn't be satisfactory to the majority - as I say I've no idea why the capacity is 85 but I'm sure DFC will be trying to increase that asap.

End of the day we don't have the whip hand on this ground share and I'm quite sure there's going to have to be some compromise but I'm not sure I would have done much different than the board have in these instances. If I have to walk ten minutes to get in and have a beer in a marquee then that's not perfect but I can handle it.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:19 pm

If £5 is too expensive then bring a car full - £1.25 each and it helps reduce traffic. It's still going to be cheaper for many than driving to Bishop Auckland which we've done for the last 4 years.

One one hand people are moaning about the lack of spaces, on the other hand it's too expensive. It can't be both as if it was too expensive people wouldn't park there. At the end of the day it's a convenience and you have to pay for that, that's life.

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Admittedly its a bit of a disappointment, Ive been to loads of decent away clubhouses on away trips in the last few years and always had that hope we could have something like that on matchday. Personal fav was harrogate railway.

Being an exile id always prefer my drinking money to go into the club for a few hours before the game. but id probs stick around the town a bit longer now.

I wouldn't be shocked if blackwell golf course or hotel try to cash in a bit.

End of the day we have 25 years to sort it out. So let get home and start getting some cash in the bank.

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:53 pm

I think people are forgetting that the Rugby Club are putting up a marquee which will hold up to 200. Also I'd imagine for the first game DRFC members will turn up to make a point it's their club but after that I'd doubt they will appear again hence DFC can look at increasing numbers in the downstairs bar. Slowly slowly catches a monkey!!

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:17 pm

My take on the bar situation is that from the outset the ‘Quaker Room’ would not be large enough to meet the overall demand and there lies the health & safety [and security] issue (not whether a safe limit should be higher than 85). Therefore an extra facility is required. Presumably the project team determined there is insufficient space for a extra facility pitch side of the turnstiles, I guess because it would detract from the space spectator space needed for the ground grading – the proposed marquee on the car park side of the turnstiles.

Given a free choice, I suspect fans would generally opt for the Quaker Room on the pitch side rather than a marquee on the car park side and for that reason I can understand the decision to introduce control by membership control. Without membership the stewards would be faced with locking fans out of the Quaker Room after they have already gone through the turnstiles – potentially resulting in unnecessary conflict between fans and the stewards. It would then be totally impractical to allow the locked-out fans to go back through the turnstiles to the marquee.

Is 85 a reasonable limit from the outset? From the Rugby Club's point of view, this ground share is a whole new venture and is totally out of scale from what they have been used to. Therefore I can understand them being somewhat cautious about the numbers they want to allow in the club – at least to begin with. The other point to consider is that having paid a membership fee, it would seem reasonable that you don’t have the same levels of congestion than is the norm in the bar at Heritage Park. Also, if being in a marquee outside is considered to be less attractive that the Quaker Room, I think I would enjoy it more if I was there with the masses rather being with the minority that had been locked out of the Quaker Room because it had reached bursting point.

The_Ozzman_Cometh

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:28 pm

Quaker Cafe and Number 22-Have been doing this when we were at the Feethams,Neesham Road and Heritage Park why change a habit!!

The Ozzman
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:11 am

I've been to functions in the bar at BM, with over 150 in attendance and the room has had around 200 attending fans forums. So to have an 85 limit seems completely ridiculous.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:24 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I've been to functions in the bar at BM, with over 150 in attendance and the room has had around 200 attending fans forums. So to have an 85 limit seems completely ridiculous.
We know it can accommodate more than 85, but read my post about possible reasons why the limit has been set as it has.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:36 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I've been to functions in the bar at BM, with over 150 in attendance and the room has had around 200 attending fans forums. So to have an 85 limit seems completely ridiculous.
We know it can accommodate more than 85, but read my post about possible reasons why the limit has been set as it has.
I hope that they'll be starting off the capacity clearly on the low side and they'll gradually increase it, rather then starting with the place being overcrowded and then have to reduce capacity.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:17 pm

4 of us in our car. Season ticket of £50 means £12.50 each.

Not a problem

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:46 pm

The_Ozzman_Cometh wrote:Quaker Cafe and Number 22-Have been doing this when we were at the Feethams,Neesham Road and Heritage Park why change a habit!!

The Ozzman

Sounds good to me too. I never drank at the Arena - the beer was just too piss awful.
However, I have enjoyed the Black Sheep at HP, so tend only to drink at the ground these days. My beverage consumption plans for BM will rest largely on what beer they serve. The Rugby club had a Daleside beer made for them (Blonde Ox) which is very nice. If something similar is on offer in the beer tent, I could be tempted to forego the allure of Number 22.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

bigrichiet

Post by bigrichiet » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
The_Ozzman_Cometh wrote:Quaker Cafe and Number 22-Have been doing this when we were at the Feethams,Neesham Road and Heritage Park why change a habit!!

The Ozzman

Sounds good to me too. I never drank at the Arena - the beer was just too piss awful.
However, I have enjoyed the Black Sheep at HP, so tend only to drink at the ground these days. My beverage consumption plans for BM will rest largely on what beer they serve. The Rugby club had a Daleside beer made for them (Blonde Ox) which is very nice. If something similar is on offer in the beer tent, I could be tempted to forego the allure of Number 22.
I wonder if theres any mileage in getting a local brewer to produce a 'Quaker Ale'...
We got a one off keg produced for Oxjam Darlo last year which I think went down well.

Obviously we wouldn't wanna jeopardise any existing supplier agreement but could be another way to raise funds straight into the club.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:42 pm

These are the chaps we want on board

http://rockettownbrewing.com/

Get one of their beers on for every game. Gets a local business on side, and the couple of beers I have had from them have been spot on :thumbup: They even have a portable bar! Get them set up at the ground! (Anyone know anyone involved with them?)

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:16 pm

H1987 wrote:These are the chaps we want on board

http://rockettownbrewing.com/

Get one of their beers on for every game. Gets a local business on side, and the couple of beers I have had from them have been spot on :thumbup: They even have a portable bar! Get them set up at the ground! (Anyone know anyone involved with them?)
I think I know someone involved. I also know the owner of Daleside Brewery (who provided the Rugby Club with their beer). A commemorative bottled beer would be a good seller.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:05 pm

D_F_C wrote:4 of us in our car. Season ticket of £50 means £12.50 each.

Not a problem
Great value - about £1 a game is it? Or less?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC