Pre Blackwell Meadows beers

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Pre Blackwell Meadows beers

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:23 pm

Reading the Fylde post just made this cross my mind. That road is pretty sparse, pub wise from the town. Might be Twenty2's for me?

Vodka_Vic

Re: Pre Blackwell Meadows beers

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:54 pm

If you're planning to turn up for a beer at BM on Saturday you'll be disappointed. It's a building site at the moment.
Only kidding! I hope that if on matchdays they can get 1 or 2 real ales in, then a lot of Darlo fans will hopefully drink there. I used to go to the Quakerhouse. About 15 mins walk from 22s I think.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:29 pm

You will probably need to go in the Marquee at Blackwell Meadows as the bar will be limited and you will need to pay for membership of match day drinks in BM bar itself.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:56 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:You will probably need to go in the Marquee at Blackwell Meadows as the bar will be limited and you will need to pay for membership of match day drinks in BM bar itself.
Really. That sounds crappy that.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:26 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:You will probably need to go in the Marquee at Blackwell Meadows as the bar will be limited and you will need to pay for membership of match day drinks in BM bar itself.
That's news.
Could you elaborate on this please, as I can't find reference to it elsewhere.
The bar is bigger than the one at Heritage Park!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:35 am

Pretty sure it was lite touch mentioned at the forum and the council planning notices at Blackwell confirm the marquee part.

Can't say I know the full plans but from memory some kind of membership will be needed to enter the bar on match days.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:09 am

Trying to remember what was said at the fan's forum. The inside bar will be membership only and they were working on this with the rugby club (which presumably means any rugby fans who nip down to watch us will be able to get in there too) - could end up being season ticket holders, supporters group + rugby club members, perhaps?

There will be a marquee bar outside for anyone who can't get inside.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:11 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Pretty sure it was light touch mentioned at the forum and the council planning notices at Blackwell confirm the marquee part.

Can't say I know the full plans but from memory some kind of membership will be needed to enter the bar on match days.
Think there have been a few suggestions bandied about - but I can't really remember what the outcome was;

> memberships required to split the bar revenues between football club / rugby club
> dedicated bar for rugby members after their fixtures
> dedicated bar for the sponsors / club officials / players
Vodka_Vic wrote:Quakerhouse. About 15 mins walk from 22s I think.
Not sure how slow/quick you walk but the distance between them is 0.1miles!

The Grange / Sloans are on the way out of town as well. It is exactly 1 mile walking from The Grange to Blackwelll Meadows so 15minutes.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:26 am

It is exactly 1 mile walking from The Grange to Blackwelll Meadows so 15minutes.
Or, after a pint or three, maybe a little more!

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:32 pm

funny this conversation has popped up.i have a little wager with a lad that goes in same pub as me and he is confident that the bar at b/m is going to be season ticket style for 80 people and a fee of around £3 per match for those 80. a heated marquee is what sounds on offer for the rest of us.why they are possibly even thinking this is mad as it is twice the size of heritage parks bar.if we want to go down different council jurisdictions etc and different rules allowing people per sq mtr etc then take a look in the boot n shoe and george on saturday nights.
the thing is i spoke to someone who was in the directors tea room at heritage the other week and he pretty much confirmed this but not the numbers i have been quoted as he didnt know for sure what they are going to be.
[mind they are leaving it late to sell tickets for it if thats what the plan is]

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:42 pm

The bar at BM may well be bigger, but we are expecting an increase in attendances, and also plenty of people now drink in the March Hare before games, whereas there isn't a pub as close to BM (that I'm aware of) as the March Hare is to HP. Therefore there will be quite a few more trying to be served in the club's bar.

A heated marquee isn't ideal, but if it doesn't work out I'm sure that it could be changed (if true).

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:28 pm

al_quaker what is your point? i was saying that heritage park is half the size and gets 100+ in so why are we possibly going to restrict a place double the size and lose revenue at the same time? even more so if as you say there aint anywhere close to b/m so people can get a pint in comfortable surroundings.
if this is the case some might just stay put until last min as we will do and get a taxi close to kick off time at a cost of about a £1 a man with 4 sharing.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:33 pm

My point is that the club may be looking to restrict the numbers in the main bar as there will be a lot more people looking to drink at the club. And one way of restricting numbers in the main bar is to make it a members bar. And therefore another bar will be provided (the marquee).

If you are asking people to pay membership for a bar then you can't just pack it full, hence restricting the number of members.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:56 pm

al_quaker. why not then just have a steward on the door restricting numbers as other clubs at this level do when they get large attendances?
lost revenue is the answer that stares me in the face and if they think a season ticket price for the use of it is the answer they could well fall flat on their face on this one what with lets say the £3 is the correct figure per match being bandied around thats a pint per match per ticket holder.how many of those will drink more than lets say 2 or 3 per match + the £3 they have paid for season ticket =3 or 4 pints per person and as well you know thats being optomistic they drink that.
last but not least fans like to congregate after match for a review of the match is the marquee the answer to that aswell?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Remember it is also the Rugby Club Bar and they will have teams playing at home on the same day as Darlington have home matches.

They will also want to use bar facilities in clubhouse

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:05 pm

darlodaz wrote:al_quaker. why not then just have a steward on the door restricting numbers as other clubs at this level do when they get large attendances?
lost revenue is the answer that stares me in the face and if they think a season ticket price for the use of it is the answer they could well fall flat on their face on this one what with lets say the £3 is the correct figure per match being bandied around thats a pint per match per ticket holder.how many of those will drink more than lets say 2 or 3 per match + the £3 they have paid for season ticket =3 or 4 pints per person and as well you know thats being optomistic they drink that.
last but not least fans like to congregate after match for a review of the match is the marquee the answer to that aswell?
Yes having a steward restricting access would be one way of doing it too, but I assume those at the club think that a membership (if there is a membership charge) would make more revenue. If we go down the membership route and revenue is lost I'm sure it would be looked at. Saying that, I don't think it's that unusual to have a "premium" bar and a "standard" bar model - unfortunately our standard bar looks like it might be a marquee.

As for the situation after a match - no idea. You'd have to ask the club that if they do go down that route.

Spen666 also (shockingly...!) raises a good point.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:23 pm

spen666.do they get the use of the car park aswell? resulting in further lost revenue then.
would not be surprised if the use of facilities is based on first team games alone for both clubs.i think most other of the rugby youth teams etc play on a sunday.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:23 pm

spen666.do they get the use of the car park aswell? resulting in further lost revenue then.
would not be surprised if the use of facilities is based on first team games alone for both clubs.i think most other of the rugby youth teams etc play on a sunday.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:30 pm

al_quaker.premium and standard bars when have darlo ever had that? yes we have hospitality and a bar/s but only 2 models.in this case darlo will have 3 models at b/m
x1 upstairs [hospitality]
x1downstairs [season tickets for that bar?]
x1 marquee

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:40 pm

When we moved to the arena was there not differing entry levels to the bars. There were two distinct bars and I have a feeling only season tickets were allowed in one? if not for the duration at least for a part of it.

For me it makes sense to have two tiers with a membership and or season tickets and I would most likely pay a fee over the season on top of my season ticket to allow me relatively quick service at the bar than a 30 minute wait in a crush.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:46 pm

darlodaz wrote:al_quaker.premium and standard bars when have darlo ever had that? yes we have hospitality and a bar/s but only 2 models.in this case darlo will have 3 models at b/m
x1 upstairs [hospitality]
x1downstairs [season tickets for that bar?]
x1 marquee
I'm not sure about Darlo - although I think you might have needed a particular type of ticket (whether that was season ticket or a premium ticket) at the Arena to get in upstairs, I honestly can't remember, same with Feethams - but I've seen it at other clubs that if you pay more for a ticket you get access to a different seating area and bar. Obviously we won't be offering different seating ticket types (other than hospitality but that's a different topic really), but charging extra for a premium bar is the same end result really.

If we can only have 80 people (say) in the downstairs bar, then we can only have 80 people in that bar. Everyone else will have to use the marquee. It's up to the club (and perhaps rugby club - it's their stadium) to decide how those 80 spaces in the main bar are allocated. If the membership option doesn't work out, I'm sure they will try an alternative.

On a slightly different topic, there might be scope long term for a fundraising for an extended/second bar so that we don't need a marquee. Obviously it would be low down the priority list, but it would be nicer to get everyone in a proper bar. The first few years at BM are probably going to be a bit of trial and error, and a bit of "make do with what we can afford". It would be nice to have a massive bar for everyone straight away, but if we can only have limited numbers in the main bar at BM initially, then that's all we can have.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:09 pm

al_quaker. you could be the rugby clubs decision on how many we let in the bar it could get increased depending on how things go initially.
not sure an extended bar will be anywhere in the top 50 priorities.might only be a couple of seasons before we are back down to a hardcore 1,500 if things slow down on the pitch.we have to remember weve had it good for the last 5 yrs or so keeping the interest going around the town. once the slow down kicks in then all revenue will be used on surviving.[this last bit aint going to go down nicely]

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:20 pm

H1987 wrote:Reading the Fylde post just made this cross my mind. That road is pretty sparse, pub wise from the town. Might be Twenty2's for me?
Have to be a bit creative in your drinking - what about a wine tasting at Majestic Wine?
Get poshed up and try the Blackwell Grange hotel bar, mind the prices may put people off. Then there's the Blackwell Golf club bar too...though suspect you have to be a member.

DRUFC did have a temporary steward who was trying to introduce some choice and real ales, but I hear he has since moved on :thumbdown:

Twenty2 is a safe bet, though hope the club(s) can sort something out as a pint or two is an integral part of the matchday experience.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:40 pm

central wmc [arden street] bang on pint and only £2.50 a pint lager so beer cheaper at a guess.darlo fans regularly used it in our feethams days and probably as close to b/m you are going to get.they have big screen.pool table,snooker etc always welcome too.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:52 pm

jjljks wrote:Twenty2 is a safe bet, though hope the club(s) can sort something out as a pint or two is an integral part of the matchday experience.
Maybe for some, perhaps even the minority. I don't know why the club have to sort something out mind.

At Feethams there was only Strikers bar which was tiny and then the Ambassadors Club at the Arena there was that corner bar and then the Ron Greener. So we've always had a tiered system.

There are bars at BM and these will be provided access to accordingly.

I can't really make any sense of what darlodaz has said in all honesty I have absolutely no idea where this idea of a £3 charge per game to enter the bar, forgive me but "Daz's mate who he has a bet with" is not really the most reliable source of information.

I don't have a clue but I reckon if you are a DFCSG member or season ticket holder then you are likely to have access to a bar. That actually provides an immediate level of control by the club on who can / can't access the bar.

I'd probably steer clear of central WMC if you want a decent not a cheap pint mind...

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:20 pm

lo36789.the £3 per match is broken down as per match 20 matches= £60 a season ticket hence £3 per match.bear in mind i am betting against this being correct but along with the lad ive had a bet with the chap at h/p pretty much confirmed this. but not the exact numbers i have been told because he wasnt sure himself what they are.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:42 pm

lo36789. regd your point about season ticket holders etc having access to the bar then how is that going to work if say half of them want to go in and the numbers are restricted to x amount?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:56 pm

darlodaz wrote:lo36789.the £3 per match is broken down as per match 20 matches= £60 a season ticket hence £3 per match.bear in mind i am betting against this being correct but along with the lad ive had a bet with the chap at h/p pretty much confirmed this. but not the exact numbers i have been told because he wasnt sure himself what they are.
What are you on about are you saying it will be a £60 membership fee is that what you mean?
darlodaz wrote:regd your point about season ticket holders etc having access to the bar then how is that going to work if say half of them want to go in and the numbers are restricted to x amount?
then the x amount its restricted to will be able to get in?

If you have a bottle that can hold 2 litres of water what happens if you pour 4 litres into it?

Darlo-Mart

Post by Darlo-Mart » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Is there amy plans to run a bus from the town, like they did at the Arena?

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:24 pm

lol36789.you suggested all s/t holders will get access to the bar which is potentially going to be restricted to around 80 people.maybe you can tell me how all our s/t holders are going to get in using your 2 ltr bottle theory?