Tamworth

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

feethamslad
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tamworth

Post by feethamslad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:50 pm

Tamworth had definitely done their homework.

We booked a package that included a meal in the Clubhouse (and were made to feel very welcome), as part of the pre match hospitality their Manager came in to talk to all in the Clubhouse and explain his team selection. To paraphrase what he said:

"Yes we've done our homework - all of Darlington's matches are on YouTube and we are well prepared for them especially their set pieces"

Certainly one of the poorer Darlo team performances that I've seen in a long while (apart from Jameson - one of his best games ever). Such a disappointment after last weeks great showing at Harrogate.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:22 am

There isn't a team at this level who don't do their homework - also known as their job.

I would expect most clubs to be scouted at least twice in the run up to a game.

coles

Post by coles » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Interesting point about the YouTube clips it does make it easier for the opponents to study us. Simple things like set pieces and penalties are easy to study off these clips.
Perhaps we should turn our goals and extended footage into a small subscription service where the club makes a small contribution to its funds and it would stop the opposition managers easily scouting us.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:31 pm

coles wrote:Interesting point about the YouTube clips it does make it easier for the opponents to study us. Simple things like set pieces and penalties are easy to study off these clips.
Perhaps we should turn our goals and extended footage into a small subscription service where the club makes a small contribution to its funds and it would stop the opposition managers easily scouting us.
That is what I were thinking the only thing is other mangers would just subscribe for a small fee..

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:07 pm

coles wrote:Interesting point about the YouTube clips it does make it easier for the opponents to study us. Simple things like set pieces and penalties are easy to study off these clips.
Don't think you need to study YouTube to know that from set pieces we launch the ball to either Beck, Brown, Burgess or am I missing something?

The Scouting point is a valid one, did we watch them to see how they play at home?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:10 pm

I believe Fylde's manager has stopped them uploading highlights onto YouTube for the above reason, describing it as free scouting to be fair he has a point.

Although this doesn't necessarily prevent clubs from sending someone down to watch their opposition.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:24 pm

I think tbh with the levels we aspire to the youtube thing is a bit of a nothing point plenty of teams in this league and the one above will have scouts.

It doesn't change anything. Anyone who wants to know how we play could have watched us in the northern league season. We still play the same. Most of our players have a reputation that will be known. We don't use special free kick routines we just whip it in with quality and give our players something to go and attack.

Wouldn't be willing to lose the great fan engagement we get through highlights and interviews just to make our tactics 'less public'.

As for yesterday, disappointing result wit the run we've been on but Tamworth have also taken points off our rivals so not the end of the world. We are still in a very strong league position and the move back to darlo is getting closer.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:27 pm

broadsexile wrote:It was undoubtedly a bad, lethargic performance, and the on-pitch communication and general shape of the team were very poor, but I'd call it a bad day at the office more than anything. Even in seasons when you walk the league you have off-days, and this was one of those. I'm willing to let Thompson off here given how many games he's changed over the last four years, and Gray can have the benefit of the doubt too despite his frankly weird decision to sub Turnbull rather than the aimless Falkingham.

Still, that was the first away in years when I've been able to get back home after the match instead of stopping at a mate's or my mum's, and that micropub in the town centre was class. Worth the 300-mile round trip from Brighton alone.
Turnbull's ball watching for the second goal was probably the cause of his being subbed off, however he and Falkingham are probably less likely to score and do the physical work in midfield, compared to those who were on the bench.

If Gillies was double marked, did Thommo get enough of the ball and did the pair swap sides to confuse markers?

Brown's suspension for the Fylde game is a huge problem, so can we bring in a REAL centre back in on loan?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:30 pm

One of those days yesterday where we just weren't at the races. A number of players off their game, the midfield four was night and day from last week, we just didn't manage to be able to get a hold of the game and the creativity wasn't there.
Maybe scoring so early was the worst thing that could have happened as we seemed to sit back and become a bit complacent. For all the possession Tamworth had they didn't trouble us until the second half where a couple of basic errors cost us two goals.

Not sure who didn't pick up their man for the first but a number of players were too busy looking for the foul and gave Newton a free header at the back post.

Second goal there were a number of mistakes, starting with Galbraith's attempted clearance, ball watching from Turnbull and then two or three players simply standing off the man who finished well, but we should have been throwing ourselves in the way of that.

All that said, we can't be too harsh on the lads after the run we have been on, I will never have a go at them for lack of passion and fight because with an MG team you will always get that, it just wasn't our day yesterday, we need to be better and the players will know that, it's what reaction we come out with next week now.

Up the Darlo!
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:33 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
broadsexile wrote:It was undoubtedly a bad, lethargic performance, and the on-pitch communication and general shape of the team were very poor, but I'd call it a bad day at the office more than anything. Even in seasons when you walk the league you have off-days, and this was one of those. I'm willing to let Thompson off here given how many games he's changed over the last four years, and Gray can have the benefit of the doubt too despite his frankly weird decision to sub Turnbull rather than the aimless Falkingham.

Still, that was the first away in years when I've been able to get back home after the match instead of stopping at a mate's or my mum's, and that micropub in the town centre was class. Worth the 300-mile round trip from Brighton alone.
Turnbull's ball watching for the second goal was probably the cause of his being subbed off, however he and Falkingham are probably less likely to score and do the physical work in midfield, compared to those who were on the bench.

If Gillies was double marked, did Thommo get enough of the ball and did the pair swap sides to confuse markers?

Brown's suspension for the Fylde game is a huge problem, so can we bring in a REAL centre back in on loan?
Thompson had a poor game by his standards, he didn't put his stamp on the game to be honest which was disappointing.

I don't expect anyone to come in on loan.

aveda

Post by aveda » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:19 pm

I thought Watson had played centre half before. If so I'd rather play him there and not move Tez. The less shuffling of players the better.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:42 pm

quakersam wrote: .......I will never have a go at them for lack of passion and fight because with an MG team you will always get that .......
But that was the fundamental problem, there was no fight, there was no passion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:02 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:
quakersam wrote: .......I will never have a go at them for lack of passion and fight because with an MG team you will always get that .......
But that was the fundamental problem, there was no fight, there was no passion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree we didn't get that spirit yesterday. Quakersam what game were you watching?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:25 pm

The effort and fight was there, like I said we just weren't at the races and Tamworth were better than us, they put their bodies on the line when it mattered

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:27 pm

watched the goals again - foul on Jameson for the first and the second we were too slow to close down. Good finish but all the time in the world.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:01 pm

MKDarlo wrote:watched the goals again - foul on Jameson for the first and the second we were too slow to close down. Good finish but all the time in the world.
Jameson and Marrs (I think) were getting pushed around as they went to take the corner. They got involved and were looking for the foul (which it was one) but probably needed to concentrate more on the ball coming in.

2nd we defended poor, pretty sure the lads will know and be gutted.

Didn't think we had our normal energy for some reason or other, you sometimes get that, it's disappointing but it happens.

Tamworth done well and deserved the win in the end, first half was fairly even but 2nd half after they went ahead and we pushed forward they opened us up so many times and blocked everything brilliantly.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Tamworth have beaten Salford, Fylde and us in consecutive games. They are no mugs and will be challenging at the end of the season.

Whilst disappointing to end our wonderful run of form, it is certainly no disgrace and I have full confidence we will be ready for Saturday.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:55 am

I'm not sure it would make any difference or stop anyone using it to scout us if they wanted to, and we'd have to balance that with the missed opportunity to keep the wider public interested and in touch. Also I know that the club actively use the Youtube viewing figures as a selling point for the sponsorship packages and advertising boards.

It's been a surprise to me this season to see the backroom setups of some of the visiting clubs - most have a camera at the match of their own, the majority it seems have a radio presence, and several have also sent match analysts. It's been a big difference to the last few seasons.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:59 am

We get this every time some opposition manager comes out and says they used YouTube. The reality is charging a subscription wouldn't make any difference as the opposition would simply pay it. I also don't think a subscription model is in the channel's best interests personally.

We get a lot of eyeballs on the channel because the content is free. If we didn't then we wouldn't have the Feethams sponsorship for a start. As M62 exile also points out the viewing figures I supply each month should help the club shift advertising boards around BM. Companies will be getting their boards seen by a much wider audience, putting content behind a paywall is going to stop that. Also, good luck at trying to sell content we've provided free of charge for the last five seasons.

Personally I also think its been vital in engaging with the townsfolk while we've been away. I think all of that is more valuable than the handful of money we'd make from a subscription fee.

Regardless of all this if we went up we'd be under agreement to send BT Sports footage for their weekly round up show. Which is also on YouTube. As it stands just over half the teams in the division produce some kind of video package which means on any given weekend a decent percentage of the games have some kind of coverage.

We lost on Saturday because we didn't play particularly well in the second half, not because the opposition manager constructed a wonderful tactical plan from 10 minutes worth of footage. Nearly all clubs at this level will send a scout to the game before hand. Its no longer the Northern League, clubs will do their homework.

Tamworth are no mugs and will probably be around the play-offs come the end of the season. That said they didn't batter us in the first half (it was actually quite dull for long stretches of the first half). They stepped it up after the break and as the game became stretched and we pushed bodies forward they carved out a few good chances. I felt there was a foul on Jameson for the equaliser and a few players should have done better in the build up to their second. That said they seemed to panic in the closing stages and on another day we might have sneaked a point. Its our first defeat in ages after a great run. I wouldn't worry too much.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:38 pm

quakersam wrote:The effort and fight was there, like I said we just weren't at the races and Tamworth were better than us, they put their bodies on the line when it mattered
If the effort and fight was there, they'd have been putting their bodies on the line where it mattered

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:33 pm

I was speaking to the coaches of an u19s team from our league...and they scout their upcoming opponents never mind the first team.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:12 pm

Least you forget TAMWORTH also beat salford and fylde.