jameson

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlodaz
Team Supported: Darlington

jameson

Post by darlodaz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:33 am

stick up for him all you want but he is a clear weak link and will continue to concede soft goals.

super_les_mcjannet

Re: jameson

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:57 am

Totally disagree, young keeper and very talented but bound to make the odd mistake.

Not sure what you are expecting at this level but Jameson is better than average even at his young age for this standard.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:18 am

Just returned after a lay off. Still young and easily wins us more points than he's lost us.
Do well to keep hold of him.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:29 am

Just a wind-up?

Who are Darlo expected to sign that will equal the great performances of Jameson?

Beaten by a bobble on Saturday, after other Darlington players failed to cut off the counter attack.

Jameson has come through injury and has been playing behind a ramshackle defence for most games this season.

We have had Jameson playing through injury with Hunter, Burgess & Brown missing and themselves playing though injuries, so it's put more responsibility on him against an obviously better standard of attackers.

I expect many Darlo clean sheets in the rest of this season with the combination of the current back five being in place and to some extent the effect of the BM rugby pitch on attacker's control.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:40 am

darlodaz wrote:stick up for him all you want
OK then, yes I will.

He is good enough to play in the next league never mind this one.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:47 am

For our level Jameson is an excellent keeper, who is still young and will only get better.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:07 pm

The OP is way off the mark (as usual). If this has stemmed from yesterday's goal, Jameson could have done better, but then so could the rest of the defence who allowed the forward to run.

However we won 5-1, so it's very pernickety to complain about the one goal we conceded as opposed to mentioning to the five we scored and the excellent team performance generally.

On a broader point, others rightly point out in this thread Jameson has saved us plenty of points throughout his time with us. I seem to remember a home game against Spennymoor not long back where he was utterly unbeatable.

Neil Johnson makes a really sensible point (shock horror) - if not Jameson, then who else would we get in?

However, it is also fair to point out we've only kept one clean sheet this season, so clearly some defensive improvement is needed. But we're also in second place in our first season since promotion - which is testament to how good we've been everywhere else on the pitch, particularly going forward.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:13 pm

We are not a million miles away from having a few clean sheets.

Currently this season it reminds me of the first half of the Northern League season in that we are winning regularly, scoring lots of goals but always concede a goal.

I dunno if anyone remembers but in the December of that season we finally kept a clean sheet after about 3 months of trying when we won 4-0 at Durham. After that, it was clean sheets galore.

The point I'm making is that we are not necessarily going to keep conceding every match for ever - it would not surprise me to see us string 5 or 6 clean sheets in a row together at some point.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:33 pm

Most of the 'soft' goals we concede are from errors made by outfield players not from the goalie. I'd be worried if we still had Nick Liversedge in goal for example. Jameson is sound as long as he keeps injury free.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:44 pm

Jameson is a fine keeper for this level if not possibly higher, so totally disagree with the original poster.

Also on the subject of clean sheets, they really are a bonus and not the end of the world if we don't. We are not a team that look to play with reliance purely on defence and nicking 1-0 results. Surprisingly from my point of view is how much of a goal threat we carry at this level which was my initial worry, as it is we are clearly capable of scoring 2+ goals a game which, more often than not, is enough to get a point or three. So if we won 2-1 every game from now, I wouldn't care because like 1-0 wins, 3pts are 3pts which ever way you get them. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:53 pm

well your all entitled to your thoughts regd jameson just like the rest of us.
his positioning is not the greatest neither is his commanding of the box.his catching of the ball is pretty much non existent and distribution moderate and tie in the soft goals makes him pretty average and will continue to give penalties and soft goals away.
as to who replaces him maybe me.

offside

Post by offside » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:39 pm

darlodaz wrote:stick up for him all you want but he is a clear weak link and will continue to concede soft goals.
I will agree he does let some soft goals in but he will get better

Needs to be alot more vocal in my opinion

People keep saying he is only young but you gotta keep improving while being young to be any good

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:57 pm

How many times has Jameson kept us in games, he spreads himself very well when strikers are baring down on him. If you're going to be critical of Jameson you can be critical of most players for example how many times has Browny made bloopers yet I don't hear you calling him.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:15 pm

wasnt criticising brown because i was not on about him.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:46 pm

darlodaz wrote:wasnt criticising brown because i was not on about him.
Brown was to blame for the first goal last week. I didn't see you come on then saying Brown was a weak link. Jameson saves us more than he concedes soft goals so there is no reason at all to have a pop at him.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:51 pm

Jameson has his shortfalls for me it is his kicking - which for a goalkeeper gets more important the higher we go. His shot stopping is bob on and command of his area is fine.

Sam Russell is now back at Forest Green for a year after this one and he'll be 36 by the time he is available again. Scott Flinders is 30 years old and is first choice at York - we might be his next stop but not yet. There are a few years yet before Ross Turnbull is going to be ready to leave full time football.

To me the consistency and potential of Jameson is greater than getting a short term fix for what are minor shortfalls in his game - and certainly don't see that a replacement will make a significant difference to us.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Like I said at the start of the season, clean sheets will be a rarity in this league so I wouldn't focus on it being the be all and end all. We are creating chances at the other end and scoring goals, if this was to stop that would be the time to worry.

As Trev Oakley pointed out in his column this week, in this division you have to go back to 2012/13 to find a team in this league that conceded one goal or fewer per game and that was Chester. Since then not one team has achieved this.
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:08 pm

Darlodaz, what attributes do you have that you can criticize Jameson,
Lets here it then.for me he will be with us for the next few seasons,
he's a good young keeper who is getting better.MG is no mug.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:24 pm

quakersam wrote:Like I said at the start of the season, clean sheets will be a rarity in this league so I wouldn't focus on it being the be all and end all. We are creating chances at the other end and scoring goals, if this was to stop that would be the time to worry.
You're right that it's not the be all and end all. All that matters is getting three points which is what we've been doing.

But in our next seven league games, we're playing five sides in the top 10 (Harrogate, Fylde, Salford, Kidderminster and Halifax). And all those sides have better defensive records than us.

So in a tougher run, it'll help to be more defensively solid, particularly as in theory, it should be harder to score goals against the stronger sides in the league (this is a little simplistic but you understand the point I'm making).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
quakersam wrote:Like I said at the start of the season, clean sheets will be a rarity in this league so I wouldn't focus on it being the be all and end all. We are creating chances at the other end and scoring goals, if this was to stop that would be the time to worry.
You're right that it's not the be all and end all. All that matters is getting three points which is what we've been doing.

But in our next seven league games, we're playing five sides in the top 10 (Harrogate, Fylde, Salford, Kidderminster and Halifax). And all those sides have better defensive records than us.

So in a tougher run, it'll help to be more defensively solid, particularly as in theory, it should be harder to score goals against the stronger sides in the league (this is a little simplistic but you understand the point I'm making).
Of course, I totally understand your point, hopefully now with a settled back four, no square pegs in round holes and a very strong starting XI we can start being a bit more solid.

The next run of 7 games is going to tell us where we really are at this level, up against teams I expect to be challenging with us come April. We will also be past the half way point of the season which should give us a clearer picture of who the chasing pack are likely to be
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:59 pm

A couple of crucial saves in key matches spring to mind. Firstly, in the Bamber Bridge play-off semi-final when we were struggling early on, he made an excellent save from Alistair Waddecar. Secondly, in the 4-3 win at Salford, he made a superb save from a powerful free header when it was still 3-3. So in the games where it requires a big match temperament, I certainly feel he has one.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Fylde have conceded more than us and also doing ok.
Telford only conceded 14 in 15 games and are in 12th.
3 points for a win. 1-0, 2-1, 4-3, I'm happy.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:04 pm

darlodaz wrote:well your all entitled to your thoughts regd jameson just like the rest of us.
his positioning is not the greatest neither is his commanding of the box.his catching of the ball is pretty much non existent and distribution moderate and tie in the soft goals makes him pretty average and will continue to give penalties and soft goals away.
as to who replaces him maybe me.
Pot kettle black from memory.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:24 pm

So we have come to the conclusion that everyone especially Gray (who is the one that counts) are happy or very happy with Jameson, other than Daz.

Glad we got that one sorted.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:41 pm

Jameson needs some competition for his place, so has our loanee gone back to NCL? He needs pushing to improve in some areas which I suppose Mark Bell is addressing, for example putting variation into his distribution (throw / kick). To be fair, it has not been possible to settle on the defence, as injuries / suspensions made selection difficult and most lads tried hard to slot into positions which were not familiar or natural to them. We do need our midfielders to come back and cover, so good to see the new signings slotting in well just in front of the back four. Hopefully the clean sheets will come, and especially in the next few matches, but glad to see we now seem capable of scoring lots of goals and not reliant on a single man to do it. MG has moulded the team into a formidable opposition who are difficult to predict and play against. :clap:

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:47 pm

well seems that way most are happy with him i was just pointing out what i think.
ohh i also think a weeble wobble could of saved that one on saturday.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:32 pm

We could have better players in all positions if we had a bigger budget, however I think we've got a pretty good balance across the pitch based on results so far.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:08 pm

If our budget was limitless we could have both Messi and Ronaldo up front.

However, as Spyman has already stated, we have excellent players relative to the division in each position. Our first choice XI could compete in the division above.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:13 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:So we have come to the conclusion that everyone especially Gray (who is the one that counts) are happy or very happy with Jameson, other than Daz.

Glad we got that one sorted.
I'm happy with him but I think there's a massive room for improvement. He does have his weak points. I'm hoping that these are being worked on in training. Improve his weak points and he'll be excellent

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:56 am

PJ pulled off some crucial saves at Harrogate and not at fault for the one that did get past him. Glad to see that he is back to full fitness and hope that he can continue to show this form & we have a settled back four who can have confidence in him again.