Blackwell capacity

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

feethams
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blackwell capacity

Post by feethams » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:47 am

I would expect that if what we currently see can reach to 3000, then plans to make 4,000 would be as follows:

- 8-10 steps of terracing at the open end from the seated stand corner up to the piping area.
- Additional seating next to the stand currently being built

If/When the club reaches the next step, I would expect that the plan would be to try and develop the club house side as realistically, this is the only side which is not affected by the pipe, or having to knock something down and re-build.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:50 am

Is there a plan to show how the car park is been redeveloped?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:47 am

H1987 wrote:Just because there has to be demonstrable ability to expand doesn't mean we actually have to do it though, in theory...

I'd imagine you could redevelop in front of the clubhouse, albeit at great expense. Gotta remember though, whatever was done would have to be ok'd by the Rugby club. After all, it's their home. I think more realistic would be to revitalise the existing seats at the clubhouse side and extend them along. Barnet have a small seated stand in front of a building which could serve as a model for how it could be done.
The trouble with the already existing seats - and there are about 150 which is a shame - is because they are only 3 seats deep they do not count towards the seating capacity. A stand must contain at least 4 rows.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:51 am

feethams wrote:I would expect that if what we currently see can reach to 3000, then plans to make 4,000 would be as follows:

- 8-10 steps of terracing at the open end from the seated stand corner up to the piping area.
- Additional seating next to the stand currently being built

If/When the club reaches the next step, I would expect that the plan would be to try and develop the club house side as realistically, this is the only side which is not affected by the pipe, or having to knock something down and re-build.
Agree with your first 2 points, they are the most obvious steps to increase seating and capacity.

To increase standing capacity even further beyond that, I think that the most obvious and cheapest solution would be to open terrace both corners at the Tin Shed end. One corner could extend to the entrance on the club house side, the other corner could extend as far as it is allowed towards the pipe on the other side.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:08 pm

Here's what Barnet's place looks like. Potential inspiration for what we could do on the clubhouse side?

Darlo1235

Post by Darlo1235 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:35 pm

Just a quick question where will the tunnel be for the players and where will they come out. We must need to build barriers for when they walk out.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:46 pm

Darlo1235 wrote:Just a quick question where will the tunnel be for the players and where will they come out. We must need to build barriers for when they walk out.
By the changing rooms? There need to be segregation - barriers is probably a bit far. A gate is sufficient.

This stuff is all part of the plans - they have been designed to me the ground grading requirement.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Yeah i'm sure it'll just be gates that lead to the pitch.

Looking at the latest photos, that new seated stand is really small. It looks like it could easily be trebled in size without encroaching on where the pipe is! (Which is good news, as that would give us 900 seats, which I think is about ideal??). I noted in the original plans it was to be 5 rows deep, but i'm hoping maybe there is a couple of more, which will make it all much easier.

Small terrace around the width of the penalty area at the other end would do it, and could be done fairly cheaply I would think. It would likely be the away end anyway, which I assume is mandatory at conference level? 500 extra seats and a small, 500 terrace would be perfect for the clubs needs right now.

I think 3,000 is a bit small, and will lack a bit of facilities, so it should be an immediate goal to get the place up to 4k, with adequate facilities to ensure people keep coming back! (That includes adequate cover, toilets and a bar I would say). Part of football at this level is fan experience I think. For casual fans, we need to make it a part of a good day out to keep them coming back. Ease of access is big, and I do think Blackwell is better than the Arena in that aspect. It is more walkable from the town. I think this place really has potential. Exciting times.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:19 pm

Is there a reason the tin shed wasn't made deeper? It seems that would have solved the problem almost immediately and (granted I'm no expert) but a few more concrete steps won't have cost much more?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:03 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:Is there a reason the tin shed wasn't made deeper? It seems that would have solved the problem almost immediately and (granted I'm no expert) but a few more concrete steps won't have cost much more?
I would guess it is a simple case of geometry. The decision was taken to utilise the stanchions from the old tin shed. Therefore the length of the horizontal 'roof' member is fixed. The length of the tread length of each terrace is also fixed by current standards (the old Tin Shed had shorter treads, hence more steps). Therefore, to make the Tin Shed deeper would mean the front rows wouldn't be under cover.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:25 am

Physically, there are plenty of options to increase the capacity, but financially we are limited by costs involved. The Board has done an amazing job to get us this far, lots of enthusiasm and innovative suggestions which have been matched by team's performances on the pitch so far this season. We should be able to generate more from sponsors and advertisements when we are back at BM, but main thing is to get more people through the turnstiles and encourage the younger generation. This is real football, not the fizz served up by the Premiership and at the end of the day it will be through Academy players and new fans that the club can continue this fantastic journey back from the brink of extinction. Thanks MG too

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:32 am

jjljks wrote:Physically, there are plenty of options to increase the capacity, but financially we are limited by costs involved. The Board has done an amazing job to get us this far, lots of enthusiasm and innovative suggestions which have been matched by team's performances on the pitch so far this season. We should be able to generate more from sponsors and advertisements when we are back at BM, but main thing is to get more people through the turnstiles and encourage the younger generation. This is real football, not the fizz served up by the Premiership and at the end of the day it will be through Academy players and new fans that the club can continue this fantastic journey back from the brink of extinction. Thanks MG too

I think that now we have the reserve team we will get more younger players coming through in the next couple of years. That was a massive step for us recently. It will be essential if we get in to the Conference in the next few years.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:47 pm

I think that now we have the reserve team we will get more younger players coming through in the next couple of years. That was a massive step for us recently. It will be essential if we get in to the Conference in the next few years.[/quote]

Agree with your comments but I think you mean "Football League in the next few years ", we are going to be in the Conference next year.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:38 pm

in my opinion no rush required on capacity , we have 1500 hardcore, when we get 10 or 12 home games this season and achieve a steady 2500 then we can expand.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:44 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:in my opinion no rush required on capacity , we have 1500 hardcore, when we get 10 or 12 home games this season and achieve a steady 2500 then we can expand.
It doesnt matter how many we are getting, its the minimum requirement for the league we are in that dictates how much of a rush we will be in!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:04 pm

banktopp wrote:I think that now we have the reserve team we will get more younger players coming through in the next couple of years. That was a massive step for us recently. It will be essential if we get in to the Conference in the next few years.
Agree with your comments but I think you mean "Football League in the next few years ", we are going to be in the Conference next year.[/quote]

Do hope so Banktopp. Admire your confidence. I don't like doing a Darlo Pete and tempting fate.

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:49 pm

A 3000 capacity is more than enough after things settle down after the first few games them if we are getting 2-2.5k that would be a huge increase on current attendance. Lots of people and companies say they will support Darlo once we return let's see if they actually do.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:44 pm

darlodog wrote:A 3000 capacity is more than enough after things settle down after the first few games them if we are getting 2-2.5k that would be a huge increase on current attendance. Lots of people and companies say they will support Darlo once we return let's see if they actually do.
3000 won't be enough if/when we get promoted.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:06 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
jjljks wrote:Physically, there are plenty of options to increase the capacity, but financially we are limited by costs involved. The Board has done an amazing job to get us this far, lots of enthusiasm and innovative suggestions which have been matched by team's performances on the pitch so far this season. We should be able to generate more from sponsors and advertisements when we are back at BM, but main thing is to get more people through the turnstiles and encourage the younger generation. This is real football, not the fizz served up by the Premiership and at the end of the day it will be through Academy players and new fans that the club can continue this fantastic journey back from the brink of extinction. Thanks MG too

I think that now we have the reserve team we will get more younger players coming through in the next couple of years. That was a massive step for us recently. It will be essential if we get in to the Conference in the next few years.
Spenny got rid of their Wearside League reserve team because the gap between the two leagues was way too wide for players to make the step up - its even wider for us, so unless the reserves progress up the leagues quickly, chances are we'll be in the same boat

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:31 pm

Nigel Batches Beard wrote:....

Spenny got rid of their Wearside League reserve team because the gap between the two leagues was way too wide for players to make the step up - its even wider for us, so unless the reserves progress up the leagues quickly, chances are we'll be in the same boat

I am not sure that is why Spennymoor got rid of reserves, but... Reserve side can't progress up the leagues quickly or even slowly as they are not accepted in NL, so nowhere to go

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:23 pm

interesting to see how a stadium looks that doesn't have the stands directly in the middle.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leag ... -town.html

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Looks like that is that way because of housing behind. It does look a bit weird, although I think ours will look a little different in that the open end will still have hard standing next to any terrace we built, so fans can stand all the way around.

Anyone else excited seeing the photos with the seats in!? I think we need to build the same size seating again really, and the small terrace and we'll be all set for a tilt at the conference national :mrgreen:

Is it time for the Salford game yet? It's hard to tell, but looking at the photos... should we be optimistic it will all be ready?

feethams

Post by feethams » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:43 am

The pictures Tori Gill has posted on Twitter (re-tweeted by Craig Stoddart) from high above show everyone exactly how much we have to play with regards to BM and increasing capacity.

There is not a massive amount of room behind the tin shed to increase. However, the open end could have a concrete open terrace of maybe 10-12 rows if needed - up to where the pipe exits the pitch.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:46 am

What is on the land behind the back of the open end?

From that picture it looks to be open land used as a path to rugby pitches on far side. If this is so, it may be possible with RFC consent to extend backwards a little to enable a larger stand to be built at that end. However, the cost of building a proper stand as opposed to an "Atcost" style stand like on far side is likely to be prohibitive in near future, but would perhaps be a longer term option

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:15 am

spen666 wrote:What is on the land behind the back of the open end?

From that picture it looks to be open land used as a path to rugby pitches on far side. If this is so, it may be possible with RFC consent to extend backwards a little to enable a larger stand to be built at that end. However, the cost of building a proper stand as opposed to an "Atcost" style stand like on far side is likely to be prohibitive in near future, but would perhaps be a longer term option
You are right, basically just another training pitch, however the bottom right hand corner of the picture, where the photo is cut off the work in progress area, this is adjacent to the problematic high pressure water main which supposedly the cause of restrictions to possible building.

Not being an architect or in construction, am unsure why there are difficulties but am sure this would be seen as a reason for suppliers to increase their prices by quoting it as a source of extra work. No doubt there are solutions, but at the moment, it would put financial strain on the club. Having said that, there should be plenty of room to go back further and have at least half a Tin Shed and some open terracing around the opposite corner away from the water pipe. This could then be useful for away fans if we ever need to segregate as could be a mix of seats and standing, adjacent to one dedicated turnstile.

Hope this helps, 8-)

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:20 pm

jjljks wrote:
spen666 wrote:What is on the land behind the back of the open end?

You are right, basically just another training pitch, however the bottom right hand corner of the picture, where the photo is cut off the work in progress area, this is adjacent to the problematic high pressure water main which supposedly the cause of restrictions to possible building.

Not being an architect or in construction, am unsure why there are difficulties but am sure this would be seen as a reason for suppliers to increase their prices by quoting it as a source of extra work. No doubt there are solutions, but at the moment, it would put financial strain on the club. Having said that, there should be plenty of room to go back further and have at least half a Tin Shed and some open terracing around the opposite corner away from the water pipe. This could then be useful for away fans if we ever need to segregate as could be a mix of seats and standing, adjacent to one dedicated turnstile.

Hope this helps, 8-)
Stupidly, I forgot about the water pipe- probably a good job I am not an architect!

As you say though, there could be a stand part of the width

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:32 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:Yeah I agree about the money but by building it further back wouldn't that have allowed us to add to it in future? And given we would have to add 1,000 (250 seats) surely adding more steps to the shed would be a cheap way of doing it?
Think the plan is building elsewhere in the ground, rather than extending the tin shed. Sure once the Board have got us into BM they will share the next step plans, money will be needed no doubt.
second tin shed at far end was mentioned at by DFC at the forum for increasing to 4000. Seated stand extension would need to be priority no. 1 though. Water pipe should not be an issue, as it should not be accessible with a bit of detailing. If the rugby try area were shortened by a few metres (5m is the minimum) then the tin shed can be extended forward, rather than be knocked down to increase to the old capacity at the town end.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:12 pm

The tin shed can't be expanded without starting it again. The terrace is prefabricated and rest on a horizontal support built into the back of the roof, which in turn supports the structure.

Also, we're not going to be able to change the pitch dimensions. It's a ground share, not a ground let's annoy the flat mates.

There is plenty of space in front of the clubhouse which can be utilised with some thought and a bit of clever design.

An open terrace at the far end which is twice as deep as the tin shed would be better. And there is the potential to loop the tin Shed terrace around the corner.

I agree with extending the seated stand as a priority though.

After this, we'll have to get more inventive.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:13 pm

Neil Johnson wrote: If the rugby try area were shortened by a few metres (5m is the minimum) then the tin shed can be extended forward, rather than be knocked down to increase to the old capacity at the town end.
I don't understand how you can extend the tin shed forward. The terrace is already in place, you can't go forward unless you dig below pitch level!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:43 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote: If the rugby try area were shortened by a few metres (5m is the minimum) then the tin shed can be extended forward, rather than be knocked down to increase to the old capacity at the town end.
I don't understand how you can extend the tin shed forward. The terrace is already in place, you can't go forward unless you dig below pitch level!
This does happen, for example the front few rows of seats at Elland Road give you a splendid view of players' kneecaps!

Let us take things one step at a time, am just delighted to be getting back to town. The time to worry is when we start getting crowds of 2999 and / or promotion (again) :thumbup: