Darlo v Worcester Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Worcester Match Thread

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Thought we were excellent today. Signing the likes of Gillies and Syers has really seen us step it up a level.

My only minor gripe was the goal we conceded was very soft and meant another clean sheet went begging.

But that's me being hypercritical.

We've never finished out of the top 2 with Gray as manager. Carry on like this and it'll be a record we maintain.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:16 pm

pastandpresent wrote:Out on holiday in Australia at present so any updates are really appreciated.

On a separate note can anyone remember a player from the mid 90's called Kenny Lowe? He is currently managing Perth Glory who are top of the Aussie Premiership. Their players include the likes of Andy Keough who seems to be scoring for fun at the moment.
Yeap. I remember the name. Don't think he was with us for a long time time, but think he joined us from a higher league - Leicester? Was there a Brian little connection?

Am sure someone with a better memory - or a Google-ite - will correct me.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:46 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
quakerste wrote:The starting midfield today were excellent, I would be surprised if there is a better one in the league.

One player who has not been mentioned is Marrs, I thought he had an outstanding game today and seems to be getting better each week.
Marrs has been quality all season, heard some say they are not sure about him - I just can't see this, seems to be quality week in/week out.
Totally agree with both comments Les..

piggy

Post by piggy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:59 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
pastandpresent wrote:Out on holiday in Australia at present so any updates are really appreciated.

On a separate note can anyone remember a player from the mid 90's called Kenny Lowe? He is currently managing Perth Glory who are top of the Aussie Premiership. Their players include the likes of Andy Keough who seems to be scoring for fun at the moment.
Yeap. I remember the name. Don't think he was with us for a long time time, but think he joined us from a higher league - Leicester? Was there a Brian little connection?

Am sure someone with a better memory - or a Google-ite - will correct me.
Had a short stint with us in 1996 think he was a Hodgy or Jim Platt signing.

He's been at Perth Glory for years now, he made the headlines over here in Oz couple of days ago for going mental at the ref at half time.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:09 am

Top performance today and we are doing so much better than expected. We now have a very tough couple of months in terms of who we are playing but I reckon teams will be more fearful of playing us than us them.

We will have a better idea in a couple of months where we will be as in fairness we've only got played a few of the top teams

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:34 am

24/10/15: Darlington FC 2-1 Mickleover Sports (Attendance: 1,010)

22/10/16: Darlington FC 5-1 Worcester City (Attendance: 1,479)

So that's a gate of +469 up from this time last season. Quite impressive if you ask me.

Fine performance and attendance yesterday.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:59 pm

Some meaty 6-pointer games approaching before the new year. Darlo fans can help with plenty of supportive noise home and away.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:14 pm

Looks like Browny wasn't on a hat-trick yesterday, the first was an o.g.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Having missed Stalybridge at home my last game was Nuneaton away and it feels an age since I saw us play but was a nice return.

We really ran the show from start to finish, Worcester only got involved once we had written off the game and made al lout subs. Though not troubled too much it’s nice to have the back 5 in place and Jameson able to walk again is a bonus. Turnbull absolutely ran the show in midfield, so much time in possession. Not being critical of Falkingham (he had a steady game) but and I’m looking forward to see Turnbull and Syers together they could be a lovely combination. Whilst upfront Cartman and Beck just look a more dangerous threat (Nathan looked gutted to be taken off without a goal). Cartman seems to either read the knock downs better or create more hassle with his endless movement. No one had a bad game though was hard to tell if we were that good or Worcester just poor.

As HarryCharltonCat mentioned our delivery into the box is incredibly good. I would be interested as to how many goals from corners we have scored, every ball that’s goes in causes p[problems and having the option of Gilles &

Regards attendances. Playing every Saturday must help. I’m a season ticket holder and at times the Sat / Tues / Sat can get too much, where as a home game every couple of weeks may well leave people wanting more.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Looks like Browny wasn't on a hat-trick yesterday, the first was an o.g.
I noticed that from the goal cam. If you are being ultra critical you could say that Beck's first goal was also an o.g. as it appears to hit the keeper's left hand, before bouncing into the net via the back of the keeper's right....maybe I should be on the dubious goals committee! ;)
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"