PA Music

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

en passant
Team Supported: Darlington

PA Music

Post by en passant » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:32 pm

I will probably be in a minority on this one, but does anyone else have a problem hearing the announcements at the ground when they are being backed by the distorted music?

HarrytheQuaker

Re: PA Music

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:54 am

I tweeted about this weeks ago and never got a response, it's so annoying

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:40 am

It's very annoying! Can't hear the team announcements. And the volume of the music coming out of the speaker by the refreshment vehicle is deafening . As for the music played - could we at least move into the 1990's!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:26 pm

Mission Impossible wrote:It's very annoying! Can't hear the team announcements. And the volume of the music coming out of the speaker by the refreshment vehicle is deafening . As for the music played - could we at least move into the 1990's!
Scott won't appreciate you disrespecting his musical choices. :lol: I don't like how the MOTM and size of the crowd always seem to be announced when the crowd is singing, so you can hardly ever clearly hear the announcment

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Mission Impossible wrote:It's very annoying! Can't hear the team announcements. And the volume of the music coming out of the speaker by the refreshment vehicle is deafening . As for the music played - could we at least move into the 1990's!

I'd rather we moved it back to the 1960's.....lol

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:34 pm

At 60 years of age, my hearing is average, I only ever hear one or two of the team selection names read out, and if there's music going on at the same time, I've no chance. To be honest, unless the sound quality could be improved, it would make little difference to me if there was none at all. It doesn't improve the quality of the match day experience for me. And this is not meant as a dig or anything like that against those who provide the sound and quality; it's simply one person's thoughts and observations.
And oh - I wish they would turn the noise off in good time - instead of leaving it almost till the last second before kick off.
As for the "music" that's played; well that's subjective isn't it, but personally I would prefer the Beatles, the Kinks, The Hollies or the Small Faces! At least then, we could all follow the tunes, even if we couldn't hear them properly.
P.S It wasn't my generation that took the melody out of popular music.

petenita

Post by petenita » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:49 pm

I've been hearing the same Depeche Mode tracks at matches for as long as I can remember, as a fan of the 80s music I think it's great, I presume whoever chooses the music has a very limited library to chose from. Long may it continue! :)

SFG

Post by SFG » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:45 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:At 60 years of age, my hearing is average, I only ever hear one or two of the team selection names read out, and if there's music going on at the same time, I've no chance. To be honest, unless the sound quality could be improved, it would make little difference to me if there was none at all. It doesn't improve the quality of the match day experience for me. And this is not meant as a dig or anything like that against those who provide the sound and quality; it's simply one person's thoughts and observations.
And oh - I wish they would turn the noise off in good time - instead of leaving it almost till the last second before kick off.
As for the "music" that's played; well that's subjective isn't it, but personally I would prefer the Beatles, the Kinks, The Hollies or the Small Faces! At least then, we could all follow the tunes, even if we couldn't hear them properly.
Agreed, although I guess that sound system at HP is optimised for announcements rather than music. Mixing the two at high volumes just produces distortion.

I've thought for some time the club should agree on an anthem and stick with it.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:15 pm

Yes when we are at BM it should be THE BOY`S ARE BACK IN TOWN

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Well whatever the raucous cacophony we endure at HP, it's never as bad as we got at Feethams - especially when water entered the speakers. There'll be a fresh opportunity to get it right when we move to BM.
"Things can only get better": (D ream).

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:06 pm

My opinion wrote:

Bring back the old method of having letters of the alphabet and the code for each match printed in the program so we can get the half-time scores from other grounds. ;)

No, I think the mobile phone may have killed that off but long as we can change ends at half-time at Blackwell Meadows, then I will be happy. Does anybody know where the jumbo screen for the replay of key incidents will be located? :?:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:48 pm

jjljks wrote:
My opinion wrote:

Bring back the old method of having letters of the alphabet and the code for each match printed in the program so we can get the half-time scores from other grounds. ;)

No, I think the mobile phone may have killed that off but long as we can change ends at half-time at Blackwell Meadows, then I will be happy. Does anybody know where the jumbo screen for the replay of key incidents will be located? :?:
It was bought by another club, can't remember which one though.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:48 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:At 60 years of age, my hearing is average, I only ever hear one or two of the team selection names read out, and if there's music going on at the same time, I've no chance. To be honest, unless the sound quality could be improved, it would make little difference to me if there was none at all. It doesn't improve the quality of the match day experience for me. And this is not meant as a dig or anything like that against those who provide the sound and quality; it's simply one person's thoughts and observations.
Don't know why the club fails to effectively advertise its commercial side with the aid of the tannoy. Blaring out Musak destroys fans' attempts to build up the atmosphere with chanting, drumming etc. I guess some people have DJ pretensions. In Norway there is very good use of tannoys with a bit of rousing music, latest scores during stoppages as well as club advertising.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:52 pm

The arena was the worst for tannoy musak disrupting fan singing and even goal celebrations

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:14 am

darlo reborn wrote:Yes when we are at BM it should be THE BOY`S ARE BACK IN TOWN
I have the music and the chorus of a song I have been working on for ages we might use...."Lo lie the Fields of Blackwell Meadows where once we watched the small free birds fly." Needs a few versus admittedly but I think it could catch on?

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:28 am

bga wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:Yes when we are at BM it should be THE BOY`S ARE BACK IN TOWN
I have the music and the chorus of a song I have been working on for ages we might use...."Lo lie the Fields of Blackwell Meadows where once we watched the small free birds fly." Needs a few versus admittedly but I think it could catch on?

During the 66/67 promotion season a competition was organised to come up with a Darlo promotional song to the tune of John Brown's Body. The result was some bloke singing "Let's sing Darlington forever". It was tannoyed all season but was more annoying than tannoying.

grytters

Post by grytters » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:29 am

Peters and Lee - "Welcome Home"
Madness - "Our House"

Any others?
Bring Back the Quarters

grytters

Post by grytters » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:32 am

bga wrote:

"The Fields of Athenry"? No. No. No, and a thousand times no. A desperate maudlin dirge based on a false interpretation of Irish history and of the potato famine.
Bring Back the Quarters

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:48 am

grytters wrote:
bga wrote:

"The Fields of Athenry"? No. No. No, and a thousand times no. A desperate maudlin dirge based on a false interpretation of Irish history and of the potato famine.
Are you daring to suggest Plagiarism?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Simon and garfunkels "homeward bound"?

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:39 pm

Bring back the Cockerton brass band.

grytters

Post by grytters » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:52 pm

bga wrote:
grytters wrote:
bga wrote:

Are you daring to suggest Plagiarism?

No.

I'm just saying it's s***.
Bring Back the Quarters

footifan

Post by footifan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:56 am

banktopp wrote:Bring back the Cockerton brass band.

Yes indeed ... Remember singing " I'm Henry the 8th I am " before Darlo games... it became the unofficial club song for a few years.

or the 1966 " Let's sing Darlington forever " did anyone actually buy a copy of that ?

:roll:

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 pm

No, we didn't even have a Dansette record player in 1966, but if the guys at Heritage Park played us some of the music that was charting in 1966, it would be a site better than what we get now.
Come to that, perhaps the HP guys are still using a Dansette every match day, this would account for the current screeching racket that fills the ground- the records are slipping on top of each other.
(Note to younger readers; If this makes no sense, ask your grandad to explain).

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:06 pm

Just wanted to say a big thank you to the PA at Saturday's game. All the announcements were made without music and I heard every word.