7th Oct Fans Forum

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Maurice_Peddelty
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 7th Oct Fans Forum

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:36 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
H1987 wrote: It's good to know the plans are in place, but the cost could be prohibitive. Being knocked out of the FA Cup so early, to lower league opposition, really is a disaster though. It would've been a valuable source of funding for the ground. Never mind the playing side of things right now. I assume the trophy prize funds are nowhere near as great, but a run in that would help none the less.
That is crass stupidity by the board to base some of the club's funding (both on and off the pitch this season) on a cup run. I thought we might have learnt our lesson from the past couple of seasons when bad winter weather wiped out a host of home matches and ran our budget close to the bone because we hadn't budgeted properly for this scenario! Any cup money should be seen as a bonus and not factored in from the start... geez, surely this is common business sense! :think:
There was no suggestion at the fans forum that a cup run had been budgeted for at the time MG's playing budget had been set. MG's playing budget would have been set shortly after the season ended so he could proceed with recruitment. The full extent of the BM construction cost inreases wouldn't have been known until tenders had been returned. My take on Richard Cook's comments was that only after these increases were known did there become a 'reliance' on a cup run and following the exit at Lancaster some action has been taken.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:00 pm

Seems to me that a decent run in the FA Trophy will be very important and a timely boost at the back-end of November. £4k for the winners of our tie not to be sniffed at, plus the potential of a home game in Darlington.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:07 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Seems to me that a decent run in the FA Trophy will be very important and a timely boost at the back-end of November. £4k for the winners of our tie not to be sniffed at, plus the potential of a home game in Darlington.
Think this is a key point. While the prize money may not be as good, the gate money can be. There are more than a few Conf / conf north teams that could lead to a 3000 gate at BM. Quick tot up at an average of £8 a head that would be £24,000. I realise that gate money is split between the teams and the FA but there is certainly enough there alongside prize money to try and go a long way in the trophy. Not to mention North Ferriby won it 2 seasons ago while in the Conf North.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Very true. York at home would be a perfect scenario. The place would be packed.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:25 pm

H1987 wrote:Very true. York at home would be a perfect scenario. The place would be packed.
Wouldn't mind a day out in York if we were drawn away either....

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:21 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
H1987 wrote: It's good to know the plans are in place, but the cost could be prohibitive. Being knocked out of the FA Cup so early, to lower league opposition, really is a disaster though. It would've been a valuable source of funding for the ground. Never mind the playing side of things right now. I assume the trophy prize funds are nowhere near as great, but a run in that would help none the less.
That is crass stupidity by the board to base some of the club's funding (both on and off the pitch this season) on a cup run. I thought we might have learnt our lesson from the past couple of seasons when bad winter weather wiped out a host of home matches and ran our budget close to the bone because we hadn't budgeted properly for this scenario! Any cup money should be seen as a bonus and not factored in from the start... geez, surely this is common business sense! :think:
There was no suggestion at the fans forum that a cup run had been budgeted for at the time MG's playing budget had been set. MG's playing budget would have been set shortly after the season ended so he could proceed with recruitment. The full extent of the BM construction cost inreases wouldn't have been known until tenders had been returned. My take on Richard Cook's comments was that only after these increases were known did there become a 'reliance' on a cup run and following the exit at Lancaster some action has been taken.
I think that it would have been quite prudent to assume a cup run.Most companies assume this type of thing when budgeting.Would have been more concerned if Darlo had not got a plan if it did not materialise which im glad to see they clearly had.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:44 am

Agree with MCFC.

There's a whole world of difference between underpinning your annual budget on non guaranteed revenue; and putting in place a larger squad that allows for progress in the FA cup which can then be easily trimmed back if necessary

To not plan to progress in the cup would have been crass stupidity. All the signs were that there was a definite plan this season, unfortunately football can throw up outcomes such as the one we saw at Lancaster which undermine even the best laid plans