Woolston wants to stay with us till the end of the season.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Article in today's Northern Echo saying that new on-loan keeper Woolston wants to stay with us until the end of the season. He certainly provides serious competition for Jameson once he's fit, but can we justify having 2 really good keepers and who would get the nod if and when Jameson is fit?

Sorry I can't download the article apart from the first few lines.

Spyman

Re: Woolston wants to stay with us till the end of the seaso

Post by Spyman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Depends how much he's costing us. If Newcastle are covering his wages I see no harm in having the cover and competition.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:22 pm

If he stays he plays. Is he better than Jameson?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Undercovered wrote:If he stays he plays. Is he better than Jameson?
Don't think we can keep him and have Jameson on the bench, might work for a short period but long term Jameson is the number one.

Woolston will be at Newcastle for a few years yet and that means playing him instead of Jameson for too long would result in Jameson looking at his future at the club.

Can always be surprised but I can't see us dumping Jameson to the bench and I can't see Woolston sticking around if Jameson is back starting so can only see one outcome.

As mentioned by Spyman might depend on who picks up paying his wages currently.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Not too sure Newcastle would want an academy keeper sitting on the bench every week either, if he stays he plays
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:19 pm

quakersam wrote:Not too sure Newcastle would want an academy keeper sitting on the bench every week either, if he stays he plays
Agree. That's why I can't see him staying.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:23 pm

Dunno. Is there any dual registration option with the PL u23 league?

Nothing to stop him training with Newcastle - in fact I assume he still is?

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:28 am

He trains with Newcastle I believe.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:17 am

Think he's better than Jameson. If he's allowed to stay for the season, why wouldn't you play him? Why is Jameson's position protected when no one else's would be? Competition will make Jameson better. If he doesn't realise that and spits his dummy out, as some seem to think he would, how far would he go in the game anyway?

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:22 am

If it was two permanent players then fair enough, but why develop a lad who is going to leave at some point and return to his parent club which will give us no longer term benefit, over a relatively young lad of our own who could also do with the experience and be a long term asset to the club?!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:41 am

Maybe some competition will push Jameson. It's not like he's a kid with a dozen appearances behind him is it? He's been nigh on guaranteed a game for three seasons now.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:49 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Maybe some competition will push Jameson. It's not like he's a kid with a dozen appearances behind him is it? He's been nigh on guaranteed a game for three seasons now.
Bit of competition is fine but Jameson is the no1, he would have plenty of options if he is sat on a coach every other week travelling around the country for a kick about before the match.

That's not to take into account the wages wasted whilst he is on the bench. Spenny will be back in for him if he is not playing.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:21 pm

What about Bell's absence and has Jameson recovered?

Three outfield players taken out of 1st team squad, during an injury crisis, so are DFC intending to keep 3 goalies in their squad?

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:07 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Maybe some competition will push Jameson. It's not like he's a kid with a dozen appearances behind him is it? He's been nigh on guaranteed a game for three seasons now.
Bit of competition is fine but Jameson is the no1, he would have plenty of options if he is sat on a coach every other week travelling around the country for a kick about before the match.

That's not to take into account the wages wasted whilst he is on the bench. Spenny will be back in for him if he is not playing.
So where is the competition going to come from, because it's not Bell. I'd expect Newcastle are paying Woolston, so no extra strain on the budget. Do you think Spenny would guarantee him a game? Didn't they sign a keeper from the Conference?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:29 pm

don't you play you're strongest 11? IMO Woolston is a better keeper (although he could do with growing a bit). The defence look a bit more confident with him there

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:49 pm

D_F_C wrote:don't you play you're strongest 11? IMO Woolston is a better keeper (although he could do with growing a bit). The defence look a bit more confident with him there
Of course they look more confident,they have a keeper behind them that can kick a ball.
Once Jameson is fit he will be back in the side.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:14 pm

D_F_C wrote:don't you play you're strongest 11? IMO Woolston is a better keeper (although he could do with growing a bit). The defence look a bit more confident with him there
Given his age, he isn't going to get any bigger, but there have been plenty of players down the years that have been spectacular keepers, that were slightly smaller than Woolston.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:40 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Given his age, he isn't going to get any bigger, but there have been plenty of players down the years that have been spectacular keepers, that were slightly smaller than Woolston.
He's 18 Pete, why wouldn't he get any bigger?

I'm bigger (in all directions) than I was when I was 18. Look at Ronaldo now compared to when he joined Man Utd.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:26 am

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

I'm bigger (in all directions) than I was when I was 18. Look at Ronaldo now compared to when he joined Man Utd.
Most people stop growing before they are 18.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:27 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Most people stop growing before they are 18.
Rubbish.

DC

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:28 pm

This usually happens at the average age of 16 years for girls and 18 years for boys. There is very little evidence to suggest that people can grow taller after puberty. Humans usually grow faster as infants and toddlers. They also grow significantly as growth spurts hit during puberty.

trevstanley
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by trevstanley » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:18 pm

My information is we're paying all his wages. He's with you to get experience.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:37 am

It is a tribute to MG that he is making playing for Quakers so attractive that players are choosing to come play for us for the experience, not just as mercenaries. PW has done well for us recently and will be good competition for Jameson.