Blackwell issue - pathway

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Blackwell issue - pathway

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:50 pm

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/featur ... ington_FC/

Surely this is also an issue at Bishop? I walk on the road just to keep my daps clean...

Emdubya
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blackwell issue - pathway

Post by Emdubya » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Sounds like a NIMBY looking for the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:59 pm

Well yet another clown trying to put a spoke into our return home, they never stop do they,
There again we are Darlington f.c., it's become expected now.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:52 pm

Surely if the width of the pavement was seen as a problem it should have been raised at the original planning meeting not through the echo just weeks before we move in.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:25 pm

onewayup wrote:Well yet another clown trying to put a spoke into our return home, they never stop do they,
To be fair to Mr Elliott he isn't asking for the move back to be blocked or suspended just voicing his concerns? Maybe the Council cannot reply to every query raised but I don't think he is trying to cause mischief.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:05 pm

bga wrote:
onewayup wrote:Well yet another clown trying to put a spoke into our return home, they never stop do they,
To be fair to Mr Elliott he isn't asking for the move back to be blocked or suspended just voicing his concerns? Maybe the Council cannot reply to every query raised but I don't think he is trying to cause mischief.
Agreed, BGA.

To be honest, it is a valid query, too. But I'm glad it hasn't been picked up, as it could be a significant expense.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Yeh, seems a perfectly reasonable concern to be honest. A bit of paranoia in action I think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:29 pm

How is this an issue?

If it was a concern the council would have flagged it in the planning stages, at the same time they flagged the bus stops needed development.

Non story. Move on.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:34 pm

The pavement on Grange Road always used to seem too narrow to me as well when I used to leave Humphreys to walk along it at 12am on a Saturday night.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:50 pm

I've walked along the said path a good few times and it's never struck me as being too narrow.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:59 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:The pavement on Grange Road always used to seem too narrow to me as well when I used to leave Humphreys to walk along it at 12am on a Saturday night.
Are there any pavements wide enough in those situations?

It is probably a valid concern, but at the same time people used to walk down the middle of the road on Neasham Road despite there being a massive wide path so I am not sure a wider path would make much of a difference.

coles

Post by coles » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:06 am

Is it really going to be an issue in reality the road will be closed at the roundabout to all the matchday traffic to exit left as it was at the arena so you could walk on the road

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:48 am

I think this guy has a point. I've ran down this path numerous times in the past few weeks and is very narrow, especially with the trees covering most of the path. Its perfectly fine after the Blackwell Meadows turn off up to the large roundabout heading to the bypass, but from the mini roundabout to the Blackwell Meadows turning its very narrow

bga

Post by bga » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:59 am

Slightly off topic I know but...................I notice Darlington RFC after 3 League matches have already won more games (well one) than the whole of last season. Maybe that footpath will get even more use before we move in!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:01 am

coles wrote:Is it really going to be an issue in reality the road will be closed at the roundabout to all the matchday traffic to exit left as it was at the arena so you could walk on the road
That is an assumption of yours at the current time. Also doesn't really resolve arriving at the match.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:20 pm

Surely if trees or paths are obstructing the path, it is up to the council to come and remove the obstructions.

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:07 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Surely if trees or paths are obstructing the path, it is up to the council to come and remove the obstructions.
I agree and I'm sure this will be addressed by the council however, it doesn't negate the fact that the path remains narrow

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:16 pm

From the mini roundabout on Grange Road, it is possible to walk directly to the ground via the South Park and not on the path at all. Just make sure you have decent walking boots on as it is all over grass, although this is cut by the Council (even if the trees on the path aren't!). May need a torch for night matches as well. ;)

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:28 pm

jjljks wrote:From the mini roundabout on Grange Road, it is possible to walk directly to the ground via the South Park and not on the path at all. Just make sure you have decent walking boots on as it is all over grass, although this is cut by the Council (even if the trees on the path aren't!). May need a torch for night matches as well. ;)
I hear what you are saying and it will be a tough ask to get the ground ready. But, The boxing day game against Halifax will no doubt be an all ticket sell out..If we could get a game on at BM before Christmas, then that too would be a sell out.
From a revenue point of view it would be great to have it sorted by that time.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:13 am

To be fair the path is an issue down there from the new roundabout - I go running down there and it is very narrow. The problem also is the speed of the cars that drive down there some cars are doing 50,60 even 70 miles an hour.

There is an easy solution, there is plenty of grass to make the path wider, the shrubs and trees need cutting back to create this space - and I would also put a railing up as well - otherwise someone will get killed - unless the Police plan to manage road traffic on that stretch of road on match days.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:40 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:To be fair the path is an issue down there from the new roundabout - I go running down there and it is very narrow. The problem also is the speed of the cars that drive down there some cars are doing 50,60 even 70 miles an hour.

There is an easy solution, there is plenty of grass to make the path wider, the shrubs and trees need cutting back to create this space - and I would also put a railing up as well - otherwise someone will get killed - unless the Police plan to manage road traffic on that stretch of road on match days.
isn't that a national speed limit road? surely just stick 30 signs up and a camera

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:30 am

Been dropped to 40 until past the ground. No fixed speed cameras in County Durham. Not about to start doing it now.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:45 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:To be fair the path is an issue down there from the new roundabout - I go running down there and it is very narrow. The problem also is the speed of the cars that drive down there some cars are doing 50,60 even 70 miles an hour.

Good idea about the railings. Would prevent selfish drivers parking on the verges. I can see the patch outside the Blackwell Grange hotel entrance being a temptation for some.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Sounds like a valid point. Some cheap skating going on, with the council side?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:17 pm

I'm sure the council will be painting double yellow lines all along Grange Road. Hopefully the Blackwell Hotel will put some sort of deterrent at the entrance to the hotel.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:00 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Sounds like a valid point. Some cheap skating going on, with the council side?
No 'cheap skating' whatsoever. Access would have been considered as part of the planning process. Had it been deemed necessary to widen the footway to facilitate the development at Blackwell Meadows then under the terms of s106 of Town & Country Planning Act and s278 of the Highways Act the burden of funding would have fallen on the developer ie DFC and DRFC. So we should be grateful it was deemed to be adequate. Overhanging branches is a different matter. If they are obstructing the footway they need to be cut back but the time to do that is outside the growing season ie November onwards - which hopefully will fit in with the programme at BM.