Lancaster v Darlo Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lancaster v Darlo Match Thread

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:57 am

Absolutely, we were poor yesterday and defensively shocking at times. But at the same time you can't deny that Lancaster were a lot fresher due to playing a lot less games.

Personally I think we'll look back at this result at the end of the season and be able to put it into a little bit more context. And that isn't me being a "happy-clapper" or hiding behind the fact that we were poor yesterday.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:05 am

Context is we lost a great opportunity to build momentum, profile and cash.

I don't think we done enough to win the game and got what we deserved. Don't think we need a major overhaul/discussion after that one defeat but Gray and team need to accept yesterday was poor and let the club down (potential a cup run can bring).

I personally think promotion is a step too far this season if we somehow managed it this season then we would need cash to develop the ground, something a cup run could bring in.

We will move on next Saturday, but imagine the buzz though if we had got through and drew say Halifax/or an easy game at home and tickets were on sale.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:14 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Context is we lost a great opportunity to build momentum, profile and cash.

I don't think we done enough to win the game and got what we deserved. Don't think we need a major overhaul/discussion after that one defeat but Gray and team need to accept yesterday was poor and let the club down (potential a cup run can bring).

I personally think promotion is a step too far this season if we somehow managed it this season then we would need cash to develop the ground, something a cup run could bring in.

We will move on next Saturday, but imagine the buzz though if we had got through and drew say Halifax/or an easy game at home and tickets were on sale.
Perhaps context was the wrong word to use, and I'm not denying we missed out on all those things above.

I was more talking about in terms of how we lost yesterday, more to it that "long ball" as some fans would have you believe.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:22 am

I have no issues with playing direct, I think the issue is we do it in occasions too often.

Brown going off yesterday stopped our whole game plan and we were too slow to change it. At half time spoke to a number of people who all said the same, so much space that Thompson/Mitchell need to be on early, well at least one.

Gray will sort it he generally does, when we are missing Burgess/Turnbull/Gillies with Thompson/Mitchell on the bench we are very average.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:16 pm

The issue for me re. Injuries is that Martin can't rotate the squad when players get tired.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:The issue for me re. Injuries is that Martin can't rotate the squad when players get tired.
Spot on, Vic. Our injuries, unfortunately, came just as we needed to use the depth to freshen our legs. Thus, many of the lads have played 10+ games in little over a month. The more tired they get, the more injuries we'll end up picking up.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:54 pm

We should also remember that it is not just the number of games but the intensity of them. The lads have had to play flat out for the full 90 minutes, often in higher than normal, energy sapping temperatures. No easy games, no spells in games when they can ease off and take breather in the way they have been used.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:40 pm

bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:I can totally understand why Beck was kept on, he's had a big impact since coming in. Yes he wasn't at his best today but he does cause a great deal of problems.

This style of football is not depressing. The pitch today was awful and the ball wasn't rolling properly, Lancaster clearly hadn't cut the grass on purpose.

Personally I HATE it when fans get on the managers back when things aren't going well and blame it on the long ball tactic, because we have always tended to play the same and we have 3 promotions in 4 seasons to show for it.

We created a fair few chances today and their goalkeeper was outstanding, we shot ourselves in the foot big time at the other end of the pitch. The problem today wasn't creating chances or our offensive play, it was our complete inability to defend.
This style of football (lumping it up front from the back when Beck has his back to goal) IS DEPRESSING when it clearly ISN'T working. The pitch was not awful either. You have admitted yourself we were more effective when we went wide and put proper crosses in that players could run onto! The problem today was not scoring more than one against a team 2 leagues below us.
Rightly or wrongly this style of football has got us 3 promotions in 4 seasons. Put the ball in the right areas and put the opposition under pressure.

Take FC United away for example. They could pass it around for fun between them, and they had 61% possesion if their official website is to believed. Despite FC United having the majority of possesion it was actually Darlington that had the majority of chances. Anybody there that day knew we should have been out of sight.

We created a number of chances yesterday (more than Lancaster) against a packed defence. We shot ourselves in the foot defensively with both goals and the sending off.

And yes, the pitch yesterday was awful and didn't encourage a passing game at all.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:I can totally understand why Beck was kept on, he's had a big impact since coming in. Yes he wasn't at his best today but he does cause a great deal of problems.

This style of football is not depressing. The pitch today was awful and the ball wasn't rolling properly, Lancaster clearly hadn't cut the grass on purpose.

Personally I HATE it when fans get on the managers back when things aren't going well and blame it on the long ball tactic, because we have always tended to play the same and we have 3 promotions in 4 seasons to show for it.

We created a fair few chances today and their goalkeeper was outstanding, we shot ourselves in the foot big time at the other end of the pitch. The problem today wasn't creating chances or our offensive play, it was our complete inability to defend.
This style of football (lumping it up front from the back when Beck has his back to goal) IS DEPRESSING when it clearly ISN'T working. The pitch was not awful either. You have admitted yourself we were more effective when we went wide and put proper crosses in that players could run onto! The problem today was not scoring more than one against a team 2 leagues below us.
Rightly or wrongly this style of football has got us 3 promotions in 4 seasons. Put the ball in the right areas and put the opposition under pressure.

Take FC United away for example. They could pass it around for fun between them, and they had 61% possesion if their official website is to believed. Despite FC United having the majority of possesion it was actually Darlington that had the majority of chances. Anybody there that day knew we should have been out of sight.

We created a number of chances yesterday (more than Lancaster) against a packed defence. We shot ourselves in the foot defensively with both goals and the sending off.

And yes, the pitch yesterday was awful and didn't encourage a passing game at all.
That is the thing, our style of play works, and it entertains.

Teams set up to frustrate us and the pitches are no bowling greens. I'd much rather we play as we do, than have an impotent possession game, as England did at the Euros.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:57 pm

dfc4me wrote:We should also remember that it is not just the number of games but the intensity of them. The lads have had to play flat out for the full 90 minutes, often in higher than normal, energy sapping temperatures. No easy games, no spells in games when they can ease off and take breather in the way they have been used.
I too have been anxious about the tempo that I've seen games played at in this division. Players must have been worn out on Wednesday nights and then have to repeat it all on Saturdays. And I agree we do better 4-4-2 when we have the right players available. I think all of the team deserve credit for the effort they put in.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:40 pm

Wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on the game although I was surprised to see that we've played twice as many league games as Lancaster so far this season.

Not excusing a poor performance but I do think our lads are knackered. it's only mid September and we've more than a quarter of the way through the season!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:32 pm

We need to sort out our slow starts, we've won a few games this year by having a strong end to the game. But we can't rely on pulling back teams and we need to start games in a positive way and try and score first.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:39 am

Pete,

I don't know which games you've been to recently but we've had very strong starts against Nuneaton, Bradford and Lancaster but unfortunately we couldn't sustain it long enough to turn the advantage into goals.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:Pete,

I don't know which games you've been to recently but we've had very strong starts against Nuneaton, Bradford and Lancaster but unfortunately we couldn't sustain it long enough to turn the advantage into goals.
Totally agree, and end up hanging on to games because we are part time and having to play twice a week with key players out through injuries.
As for it being " a fucking disaster" as described by Makka Pakka, I think some perspective is needed, a disappointment yes, but " a fucking disaster would be if Raj Strings was allowed to take us over again.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:13 am

banktopp wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:Pete,

Totally agree, and end up hanging on to games because we are part time and having to play twice a week with key players out through injuries.
As for it being " a fucking disaster" as described by Makka Pakka, I think some perspective is needed, a disappointment yes, but " a fucking disaster would be if Raj Strings was allowed to take us over again.
That comment was purely based on financials, not a dig at the playing side at all. I don't know the facts around our possibility to finance further ground improvements in the case of another promotion, but from my uninformed position on the outside, I had all our eggs placed firmly in this one basket. To end up without a penny from the FA cup for the second season running, I view this as a disaster. Hopefully it isn't.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:26 am

Makka Pakka wrote:I had all our eggs placed firmly in this one basket.
I doubt the club will have put all their eggs in this basket. Quakerz has mentioned many a time that a promotion this season would be us performing beyond where we are in terms of size and resources.

An FA Cup run may have almost overcome that challenge.

Surely for a disaster to happen it needs to materially affect and damage your 'status quo', this doesn't we still continue as a Conference North club. A major disappointment is a more accurate descriptive than a disaster.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:39 am

Lancaster got Kiddie at home in the next round....I know the numbers will have been different before you say it!

Stockport drew Salford

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:50 am

Not sure they will have to be fair Baz as its done by region anyway at this stage. Would have been a difficult draw for us really
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:50 pm

I can see Harriers giving them a right old hammering in that one.

Darlo1235

Post by Darlo1235 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:21 pm

We still have the FA Trophy to go for, Which now must have to go for to get prize money.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Re the FA trophy....don't you have to win a billion games and get to the final for it to be financially worth t?

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Quick piece from saturday, most of it was wrote on the way home. However, everyone has had their say, its one of only a few blips in what has been an incredible 4/5 seasons, lets move on we are still only one point off top!
https://www.the-newshub.com/football/fa ... lo-verdict

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Suppose we'll just have to win the FA Trophy again.

God's sake.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:Re the FA trophy....don't you have to win a billion games and get to the final for it to be financially worth t?
Yes, but it's just about on the verge of doable to get to the final with good form, good luck and a good draw through the rounds.

Conf N/S clubs have reached the Trophy final occasionally before, just like Championship clubs have occasionally reached the FA Cup final.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017