Quarterly Review

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlobaz79
Team Supported: Darlington

Quarterly Review

Post by Darlobaz79 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:41 am

It sounds ridiculous, but in Mid-September we have played over a quarter of our league games already. I am delighted with where we sit in the table, we have shown that we can grind out points from games when not at our best as in the last two games. We have scored plenty of goals but also conceded goals too easily. Is our squad too threadbare? Without Burgess, Jameson, Gillies, Turnbull, Hunter and let's not forget Wearmouth (who I think is a fantastic player) the squad looks thin but to have that many injuries at the same time is unusual.

New signings - Beck has been impressive although perhaps needs a rest on Saturday. I thought Watson played well the only time I have seen him. Gillies is obviously better than this league and will progress. I've been less convinced about Marrs although I didn't see the Stockport game when he was MOTM.

The games now generally go down to one a week which will help us I think. If we managed to get into the play-offs this season it would be a massive achievement but from what I have seen so far it is definitely possible....

What do you think?

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Quarterly Review

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:59 am

Darlobaz79 wrote:It sounds ridiculous, but in Mid-September we have played over a quarter of our league games already. I am delighted with where we sit in the table, we have shown that we can grind out points from games when not at our best as in the last two games. We have scored plenty of goals but also conceded goals too easily. Is our squad too threadbare? Without Burgess, Jameson, Gillies, Turnbull, Hunter and let's not forget Wearmouth (who I think is a fantastic player) the squad looks thin but to have that many injuries at the same time is unusual.

New signings - Beck has been impressive although perhaps needs a rest on Saturday. I thought Watson played well the only time I have seen him. Gillies is obviously better than this league and will progress. I've been less convinced about Marrs although I didn't see the Stockport game when he was MOTM.

The games now generally go down to one a week which will help us I think. If we managed to get into the play-offs this season it would be a massive achievement but from what I have seen so far it is definitely possible....

What do you think?
I've been very impressed with Marrs... and his Dad's a very nice feller... met him at the Newcastle friendly when I was having a pre match pint in the Copper Beech :thumbup:

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:47 am

Marrs I don't believe was at best for the first few games which I put down to settling into a new team, however he is now coming into his own and has had some very good performances recently.

moz1963

Post by moz1963 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I wasn't particularly impressed with him in the first games but he has improved with every game in my view.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:38 pm

The League table doesn't lie (does it?) so we should be pleased with 4th at this stage and 1 point behind the leaders.

Having said that dare I mention the C word...........................? Seems clear that as long as Beck and Hardy perform to a level MG considers acceptable (or don't get injured or suspended) Carts is going to be 3rd choice. Whilst I am all in favour of competition for places Carts has always struck me as a player who is a bit de-motivated if things are going well for him, others may disagree. So if he is not playing regularly, his confidence dips, and his form dips and the goals dry up. I have seen 3 games this season where we have taken 7 from 9 points but not played well in any of them. I think we are a more exciting team when Carts plays, but I guess the current table shows it is horses for courses. Wonder what others think of MG's selection dilemma?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:17 pm

So after 11 games we are 7-2-2. Form that, if carried over the season, would see us finish on a very decent 92 points.

To be totally honest, I have felt that in some games that we have rode our luck a little bit. However, I do feel that this team has potential to go up another gear or two, just like what we did last season.

We aren't helped at the moment due to an injury crisis. Injuries to your captain & 2 of the better players in this league in Turnbull & Gillies will hurt any team in this league.

Personally I am looking forward to getting through to the end of this month because our schedule has been ridiculous.

Hopefully a new signing to come in soon too, will hopefully give us a boost in the absence of Turnbull.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:57 pm

Whilst I have been to every game I would say marrs has been the most consistent player. I'm still very much in the happy to be competitive mould. Cut out some of the defensive errors and stop over doing the balls to beck. We rely on him too much at times. I'm happy to play it long to him on occasion

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:58 pm

We currently have the spine of our team injured - Jameson, Burgess, Turnbull.

Add in Gillies, Hunter and Wearmouth and that's at least five first choice starters (hard to say whether Wearmouth would be a starter and, if he was, we probably wouldn't have Gillies).

We just need to get through this injury patch and get our regulars back to full fitness.

As for Cartman - he is VERY unlucky not to be starting in my view, and that's not a reflection on the abilities of Beck and Hardy who have both done extremely well.

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:55 am

I'm generally very happy with the position in the league. I have seen us play badly against the poorer sides and win, and well against the likes of Kiddy and lose.

Marrs is solid for me and without looking convincing at times is better than people give him credit for. The injuries are hitting us hard and I believe without Turnbull against Bradford we were always going to bypass the midfield and hump it long to Beck.

People begging for Carts previous to Bradford cannot still be suggesting he deserves the nod over Hardy, who came on and did what strikers do, Cartman should've had a goal or two before Hardy even had the chance to come on.

Cartman will play a big part this season and I wish he'd stay off twitter at times, he can get very stroppy when not playing week in week out which is not being a team player for me. Beck and Hardy are where the goals are at currently and Cartman is more than good enough to grab loads himself.

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:42 am

TDS wrote: People begging for Carts previous to Bradford cannot still be suggesting he deserves the nod over Hardy, who came on and did what strikers do, Cartman should've had a goal or two before Hardy even had the chance to come on.

Cartman will play a big part this season and I wish he'd stay off twitter at times, he can get very stroppy when not playing week in week out which is not being a team player for me. Beck and Hardy are where the goals are at currently and Cartman is more than good enough to grab loads himself.
Don't think anything Carts puts on twitter is stroppy. To me he is just someone who wants to play as much football as he can. (I know it is what he is paid to do and what he signed up for but the travelling for him probably adds to the frustration).

He would still be one of the first on the sheet for me and I think he is a class above at this level. You hit form and take your chances more often when playing, if Cartman has a run in the team he will score goals. To be at your best you need to be playing, aside from Wednesday he has had the last 20/30 minutes to make an impact and with only that it's hard to hit good form.

Tomorrow I would play Cartman and Hardy together and try and get the ball on the floor against a team a couple of divisions below.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:43 am

DFCAnth wrote:
TDS wrote: People begging for Carts previous to Bradford cannot still be suggesting he deserves the nod over Hardy, who came on and did what strikers do, Cartman should've had a goal or two before Hardy even had the chance to come on.

Don't think anything Carts puts on twitter is stroppy. To me he is just someone who wants to play as much football as he can. (I know it is what he is paid to do and what he signed up for but the travelling for him probably adds to the frustration).

He would still be one of the first on the sheet for me and I think he is a class above at this level. You hit form and take your chances more often when playing, if Cartman has a run in the team he will score goals. To be at your best you need to be playing, aside from Wednesday he has had the last 20/30 minutes to make an impact and with only that it's hard to hit good form.

Tomorrow I would play Cartman and Hardy together and try and get the ball on the floor against a team a couple of divisions below.
Totally agree. You don't need to be a Rocket Scientist to work out that if we don't use him............we will lose him. MG really has to use all his man management and tactical skills to keep the entire squad happy. If he doesn't start tomorrow that would be a wrong decision in my view. Am looking forward to the match.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:58 am

From the Bradford highlights another spine player Brown looked a bit off and may need a day off at Lancaster.

Marss didn't impress me pre-season and in the first 3 league games, but he has definitely improved, especially with the defending and passing.

For the Lancaster tie it's an opportunity to experiment:

A Hardy and Cartman combination up front is well worth looking at, but can the rest of the players remember how to keep the ball lower when passing forward?

Some game time for Purewal is needed and we should see him appear, most likely on the wing, or possibly behind the front two.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:05 am

A quarter of the season gone so quick. It shows how this level of non-league football is geared for potential money making cup runs.

With a lighter programme of league games, there is far more scope for Darlo to put their best teams available out for the FA Cup & Trophy games.

Opening BM in the midst of a cup run (or 2) would be a big bonus in attendance terms and must be a huge incentive for MG to get the team through the early rounds.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 am

A quarter of the season gone so quick. It shows how this level of non-league football is geared for potential money making cup runs.

With a lighter programme of league games, there is far more scope for Darlo to put their best teams available out for the FA Cup & Trophy games.

Opening BM in the midst of a cup run (or 2) would be a big bonus in attendance terms and must be a huge incentive for MG to get the team through the early rounds.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:25 am

Good start,first objective when moving up a division has to be to stay there and that looks nailed in now.

A play off spot and a good FA Cup run would be a brilliant season for me.

Turnbull seems better as we move up a division,been brilliant so far.Think we are a little light at the back but time will tell on that one.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:52 pm

I've been surprised with how well we've started. The lads have done very well in the league.

But...It's all well and good being in a strong position in the league, but what we need is money. Followed by more money. And then a shed load more cash. We have a ground to build. Players to pay. And in the not too distant future auxiliary staff to be added to the payroll. Another season without a cup run is a huge restriction on where we can competitively be. In essence this result has stopped is aiming for promotion because we can't afford to go up.

The one saving grace is the lads can now get some rest and work in things in training. We will improve on the pitch. But it's behind the scenes where we need to step things up.

I have major concerns over our inability to keep clean sheets. I don't rate Beck. He's no Armstrong. Other than that I'm very happy.

Not that this sounds as if I am.

aveda

Post by aveda » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:30 pm

Very pleased with the league position. Disappointed with today but I think form will return now there's no midweek games every week. I just hope we stop trying 4-3-3 as I don't think it works for us.