Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match thread

Post by poppyfield » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Anybody know what's up with Burgess? Is his a long term injury?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:46 pm

A point away from home is always good and Nuneaton didn't look like a bottom of the table side - but we were very poor in the second half.

We lost control when Turnbull went off, went too narrow and encouraged them to come onto us down the flanks.

I didn't understand the Brown substitution either. For me, he should have gone central defence with Hunter, Galbraith should have gone left and Watson should have gone off. We would have looked more resolute in defence.

Funny how views differ, but I thought Watson was poor. It certainly didn't work with Brown centre midfield.

Hardy looked tired - Cartman should start next game. I think he should start anyway but that's a different argument!!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Disappointed with how things ended today, we were probably lucky to come away with a point in the end.

We went down hill when Turnbull went off, the ball wasn't sticking up top as much as it should and we stopped playing through the middle without Turnbull. I think missing Brown, Burgess, Turnbull & Gillies with Thompson & Hardy looking tired/not involved much was a bridge too far as a team. Even Bell was getting warmed up to replace Jameson at one point.

Easy to say afterwards but looked like we could have done with making a couple of changes in the starting line up.

On to Wednesday where I think Gray will freshen it up a bit as we need to ensure we are up for Wed and next Sat.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Watching the highlights Tom Portas left his man to run past him to score...

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:59 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Watching the highlights Tom Portas left his man to run past him to score...
Didn't see that on the day but did see it on the highlights though.

Just earlier we had took Mitchell off who had worked on our right hand side and replaced with Brown in the centre, Portas should have followed the player but we had gone narrow.

Through out the game Nuneaton had pushed on via the fullbacks who were both decent and worked well with the wide midfielders.

Disappointed but we move on to the next game, good start to the season for us we are in and around the playoffs where we want to be.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:20 pm

Not another bloody fixture on Wednesday. Does this league have a winter break or something. We're just over a month into an 8 month season and yet we've already played a quarter of the season. It seems to be Saturday - Wednesday every week. It's like being back in the Evostik.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:28 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Not another bloody fixture on Wednesday. Does this league have a winter break or something. We're just over a month into an 8 month season and yet we've already played a quarter of the season. It seems to be Saturday - Wednesday every week. It's like being back in the Evostik.
To be fair, given clubs at this level are more likely to go further in the FA Cup and particularly the FA Trophy, it does make sense to play more games earlier on.

Hypothetically, it would only take a couple of good cup/trophy runs, combined with an atrocious winter (like last year) to cause a fixture backlog.

With fewer league games, we're not as likely to see the fixture logjam we had last season, but after last winter , you can't rule anything out!
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:06 pm

feethams wrote:
Wish the players would clap the fans before they do the huddle. By the time they came over to clap, most of the away end had cleared.
The huddle is annoying at away games. Today's game was very instructive in respect of the squad and tactics

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:22 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Not another bloody fixture on Wednesday. Does this league have a winter break or something. We're just over a month into an 8 month season and yet we've already played a quarter of the season. It seems to be Saturday - Wednesday every week. It's like being back in the Evostik.
To be fair, given clubs at this level are more likely to go further in the FA Cup and particularly the FA Trophy, it does make sense to play more games earlier on.

Hypothetically, it would only take a couple of good cup/trophy runs, combined with an atrocious winter (like last year) to cause a fixture backlog.

With fewer league games, we're not as likely to see the fixture logjam we had last season, but after last winter , you can't rule anything out!
Plus we get plenty of games in before poor weather starts to prevent games happening...

Cosmos

Post by Cosmos » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:32 am

Yea, there was plenty of people complaining about the run in last season and the fixture backlog so it's not a bad idea to get as many games played now when the weather is decent. Of course they could also stretch the season out by another week at the end of the season as well but it's inevitable every team is going to be affected by postponements once we get to winter.

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:31 am

Who was their number 3 yesterday? Caused us all sorts of problems down the left and put in superb crosses into the box consistently

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:05 pm

When you take the lead against a side struggling near the bottom of the table, you would expect your side to push on and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Turnbull going off definitely hindered us and let them back in. We should be disappointed at only securing one point, I'm sure the players are.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:57 pm

Will Smith wrote:Who was their number 3 yesterday? Caused us all sorts of problems down the left and put in superb crosses into the box consistently
On loan from Wolves
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:When you take the lead against a side struggling near the bottom of the table, you would expect your side to push on and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Turnbull going off definitely hindered us and let them back in. We should be disappointed at only securing one point, I'm sure the players are.
Can't agree with you here.
I only listened to the game as did a lot of fans, what I heard after Turnbull going off was constant Nuneaton pressure...We managed to hold out and get a point..I am happy with that..
When you say "We should be disapointed" you mean YOU ARE...But some of us are happy with the point gained..Especially given that our 4 key players (in my opinion) are either injured or recovering.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Well it's all about opinions and you're entitled to yours.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:31 pm

In a league now where there's no mugs - move on and start again on Wednesday. Long way to go yet. .............have I missed out any cliches? :D

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:16 am

Nigel Batches Beard wrote:In a league now where there's no mugs - move on and start again on Wednesday. Long way to go yet. .............have I missed out any cliches? :D
When you're leading and don't win its obligatory to say something about game management.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:04 am

Makka Pakka wrote:
Nigel Batches Beard wrote:In a league now where there's no mugs - move on and start again on Wednesday. Long way to go yet. .............have I missed out any cliches? :D
When you're leading and don't win its obligatory to say something about game management.
More to the point it is about playing full time teams whose fitness and stamina are better than ours. The sooner we get back to one match a week the better. Three games in nine days two of which were against full time teams, Kiddy and Nuneaton. Saturdays match we were all over them first 25 minutes, but lucky to go in one up at half-time. Second half very lucky they didn't score till 73 min and in the end the result was a good point won.

The_Ozzman_Cometh

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:29 am

banktopp wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:
More to the point it is about playing full time teams whose fitness and stamina are better than ours. The sooner we get back to one match a week the better. Three games in nine days two of which were against full time teams, Kiddy and Nuneaton. Saturdays match we were all over them first 25 minutes, but lucky to go in one up at half-time. Second half very lucky they didn't score till 73 min and in the end the result was a good point won.
Couldn't agree more with this-in the end apart from one strike on goal in the second half we never looked like scoring again and I was happy with a point.

The Ozzman
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:47 pm

My opinion wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:When you take the lead against a side struggling near the bottom of the table, you would expect your side to push on and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Turnbull going off definitely hindered us and let them back in. We should be disappointed at only securing one point, I'm sure the players are.
Can't agree with you here.
I only listened to the game as did a lot of fans, what I heard after Turnbull going off was constant Nuneaton pressure...We managed to hold out and get a point..I am happy with that..
When you say "We should be disapointed" you mean YOU ARE...But some of us are happy with the point gained..Especially given that our 4 key players (in my opinion) are either injured or recovering.
After Turnbull went off it was one way traffic.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:32 am

I am happy with the results, but the deep / narrow / long ball approach has been attempted for long periods in just about all of the league games.

If this ploy is to continue then the players need to get a BIT more proficient, or we need more players that can cope with the opposition's counter-attacking it promotes.

It would also help if our players could IMPROVE on making counter attacks of our own, rather than be pegged back in defence for the majority of time.

The tactics employed may be best for the challenges at this level, but it may take more practice with our team for them to adapt their games and be more effective.

This is not FLAPPING, just an opinion and observation.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:53 am

Neil Johnson wrote:I am happy with the results, but the deep / narrow / long ball approach has been attempted for long periods in just about all of the league games.

If this ploy is to continue then the players need to get a BIT more proficient, or we need more players that can cope with the opposition's counter-attacking it promotes.

It would also help if our players could IMPROVE on making counter attacks of our own, rather than be pegged back in defence for the majority of time.

The tactics employed may be best for the challenges at this level, but it may take more practice with our team for them to adapt their games and be more effective.

How the hell did Big Sam get the job when you were out there???.Just goes to prove the FA know fuck all.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:I am happy with the results, but the deep / narrow / long ball approach has been attempted for long periods in just about all of the league games.

How the hell did Big Sam get the job when you were out there???.Just goes to prove the FA know fuck all.
To be fair the FA do know fuck all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 am

liddle_4_ever wrote:
Emdubya wrote:

To be fair the FA do know fuck all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
here here.

injuries also are taking a toll, so I am hoping for more variety in play when we return to full strength and/or Beck gets a rest.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:03 am

I hate winning games as well Neil

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:49 am

That was a strange game to witness last night, we were pretty poor for the whole 90 minutes yet typically did not give up pressing and 3 points was massive bearing in mind we were a goal down with 10 minutes to go.
We did not really look like scoring in the second half and defenders seem to have worked out our tactic of launching it for Beck to flick on as there was always a covering defender waiting which worries me to be honest.Our midfield was poor and for me Nowakowski is not the answer, really missed Gillies and Turnbull last night as we were just not creative enough.Really would like to see Cartman and Hardy up front together and leave Beck on the bench for a few games to see if this works but looking at the positives, great position to be in, 1 point off top having not played that well in recent games, and hopefully get our key players back as soon as possible.Burgess, Turnbull, Gillies and Hunter are cracking players to be missing from your team so getting these back will be a massive bonus.

Can anyone throw any light on the Lewis Nightingale situation, with all our injuries would really have liked to see him given a couple of games.Looking at some of the video clips he looks a very talented player and seems to be out of MGs plans, has there been a fall out behind the scenes, if so what is going on?.Would really like to know.