Darlington v Stockport Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Comfortably_numb
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Stockport Match Thread

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:Where's Gilles? #fuckyoutrollinggramps

Seriously, is Gillies injured? And the centre backs too. We're looking a bit makeshift.

Also, why is our away end a third of the touch line, the whole of the far end (+300 seats which are there but don't count). It is the same space plus more than we got for FCUM. And that was for 650 fans, not the 350 allocated at HP. We should be giving away fans up to the goal and one of the golf stands. And give the home fans the second one. Gives the oldies a chance to sit down. And gives everyone a bit more space.

Good crown in already tonight.
Looks like Gilles is our Kenny DaGleish.....as Alvin Martin and so many others called King Kenny....
If I'm honest, I'm just pissed off the chant of Gillies, Gillies, Ossenfeffer Katzenellenbogen By The Sea didn't catch on.
Christ....one for the teenagers there Darlogramps :)

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:Steve McLaren there again tonight.
England C Spy?

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Any news on Kevin Burgess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:39 pm

Hated that. Loved it. Rode our luck. They're another decent side. Should have been out of it at half time. We weren't. We controlled the second half. Still with some luck. But a great performance from the lads.

Great crowd. Cracking atmosphere.
Glad for Beck. He needed that goal.
I know Hardy is playing well, but we're a different prospect with Cartman on the field.
Thommo played well.
I was moaning about Mitchell considering subbing him, as he placed the perfect cross for Beck. And was a different player in the second half.
Novakowski had a stormer when he came on. Took all the pressure off Turnbull.
The defence, er, um, Galbraith is a left back. Their number nine bossed us. He's a good player. Watson looked alright.
Jameson made some fantastic saves.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Stockport dominated possession and territory, but 3 glaring defensive errors aside we were pretty solid. Actually our best spell was the last 15 minutes when you thought we would be under siege. Mitchell hit the bar late on, overall I think we were worth at least a draw.
I think they should have buried us to be honest. But I agree a draw may have been a fair result because we dug in. Marrs MOTM for me.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:44 pm

AndyPark wrote:2-1 win; well done Darlo.

Up to 4th now.
A few days available now to get the scratch back four into a better semblance of shape & coordination before visiting the mighty Nuneaton Town.

Wasn't Watson supposed to be an experienced centre back?

Galbraith may be more effective out left in a scratch defence.

Jameson re-deemed himself by full-time?

We could do with reserves / Darlo XI team games for our stiffs.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:46 pm

It was another hard fought battling win against another side who are better than us footballing wise but you have to praise our players for the effort and not letting their heads drop when going behind.Well done lads

bga

Post by bga » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 pm

I thought was Cartman who hit the bar?

njb

Post by njb » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 pm

bga wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote: Marrs MOTM for me.
Agree that Marrs was MOTM thought he had a great game. Must be about time Novakowski got a chance to start some games, the midfield always seems to improve when he comes on and his height is a big bonus at set pieces

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Not sure how we won that one but I guess we were more clinical like Gray wanted us to be.

Shows the need of a squad when you have Burgess, Brown and Gillies missing with Nightingale on loan and still having a very strong 16 on the day.

Great start to the season, in and around the playoffs I would say is the target.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:01 pm

bga wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:Stockport dominated possession and territory, but 3 glaring defensive errors aside we were pretty solid. Actually our best spell was the last 15 minutes when you thought we would be under siege. Mitchell hit the bar late on, overall I think we were worth at least a draw.
I think they should have buried us to be honest. But I agree a draw may have been a fair result because we dug in. Marrs MOTM for me.
Agree..Marrs had a very good game for us and would have been my MOTM
..When you consider that our two centre backs were our two wing backs last seasn it shows how sretched we actualy were...They were all over the place at times but dug in.
Also thought that Nowakwski did very well when he came on.

We really struggled the first half and should never have gone in equel. But once that cross went in from Mitchell, there was only one person going to get onto the end of it..Beck was very determined.
2nd half we were far better and I thought that once we were in front we would hold out..Pleased for Jameson as he has taken a lot of stick recently..He made some great saves which will help his confidence.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Great win, if somewhat a bit lucky in the first half to go in level ..... fantastic effort by the players ... we'll take it and move on

Brilliant support second half especially from the Shed

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:11 pm

bga wrote:I thought was Cartman who hit the bar?
He did.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Just got back from the match; I thought this was the best performance yet, so far this season - hardly recognised us from the team that drew 2-2 at Altrincham on the first day of the season.
Stockport really came at us right from the off, and I worried for us when they scored as a result of a dreadful mix up for us at the back. They always looked like getting another in the first half and I was relieved we'd levelled it at half time. Jamieson kept us in the game several times - one last ditch flick over the bar as he was back-pedalling was outstanding. His kicking was much better tonight as well - a different keeper from the one we've seen earlier this season and he must be feeling much fitter.
In the second half the encouragement from the crowd was pretty non stop and I'm sure it must have been intimidating for their keeper with the constant noise from behind. Our second goal was a net buster and our shot that hit the corner of the bar/upright was quite something. (Was it Cartman's?)
This was a match that sorted the men from the boys - both teams had great opportunities to score more goals - and I felt proud of our players tonight. Earlier Darlo teams might have buckled in to defence but we seemed to realise that attack was the best way out when we were put under pressure and it worked because Stockport couldn't handle it. Real blood and thunder football from both teams tonight, not one for the faint hearted and we really got our money's worth tonight.
Just one observation about the half time water cannons used to soak the pitch (amazing that they're needed when the field is waterlogged for most of the season); why do we do it? The way the sprinklers pop up and down like mushrooms is quite amazing and they can be still going almost as the ref blows his whistle to restart the second half. About 5 minutes after the restart one of our players was about to shoot until he slipped on the newly wet surface and the opportunity was lost.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Stockport will probably think they should have won on chances created. First half, our over reliance on hitting Beck with every ball meant we gave up possession too cheaply, and they came at us again. Two or three great saves from Jameson, the woodwork and a great goalline clearance from Marrs, and somehow we went in level. Second half we mixed it up a bit more and enjoyed more possession, and a great move for the winner. Jameson still had to make a couple of outstanding saves, and they put a few decent chances wide, but our determination saw us through. Thought Watson did well, certainly second half, and we do look a better team with Cartman in. Thought Portas struggled, the game seemed to bypass him, and Nowakowski did well when he came on. I'd also like to see Nightingale back if Gillies is out for a while as i think he'd give us something different. Every successful team needs an alice band.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:47 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Just one observation about the half time water cannons used to soak the pitch (amazing that they're needed when the field is waterlogged for most of the season); why do we do it?
I imagine it comes from Gray's instructions. He must want a slick/fast surface, and it seemed to me that at half time their penalty box got a right soaking.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:09 pm

Game of two halves... Poor first half, they must have been demoralised not going in a few goals up... Second half much better... Massive win.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:21 am

dickdarlington wrote:Where's Gilles? #fuckyoutrollinggramps

Seriously, is Gillies injured? And the centre backs too. We're looking a bit makeshift.

Also, why is our away end a third of the touch line, the whole of the far end (+300 seats which are there but don't count). It is the same space plus more than we got for FCUM. And that was for 650 fans, not the 350 allocated at HP. We should be giving away fans up to the goal and one of the golf stands. And give the home fans the second one. Gives the oldies a chance to sit down. And gives everyone a bit more space.

Good crown in already tonight.
Spelling police will get you....!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:27 am

Thought we were very poor in the first half, probably down to a very good performance by Stockport and a makeshift defence. God only knows how we were weren't 3 or 4 down by halftime. Like others have said thought Jameson had a tremendous game and he made some great saves, somehow keeping us in the game. Marrs had a great game as well and only he'll know how he got back to make that clearance, when we were pressing for an equaliser and we were caught on the break. Beck managed to equalise just on halftime, to set up a storming second half.
Second half was the best I've seen us play for a long time. It was hard to believe that a team could change so much, it must have been some halftime bollocking from Gray during the interval. The defence looked far more solid and their confidence grew with Jameson looking rock solid. Again Marrs did some great tackles. We poured forward and with some fantastic backing from a very large crowd, it came as no surprise when Thompson crossed for Mitchell to knock the ball gleefully into the roof of the net. Thought the ref was superb tonight as there were a few meety challenges going in, but as far as I know nobody was booked and he played a great advantage leading to our goal I think. Even when he got a decision wrong about a corner near the end, his linesman stepped in and he changed the decision straight away.
Someone asked why our crowds have increased so much for midweek games, well just look at the entertainment last night for your answer. No doubt there were a good few neutrals at the game last night and they must have been very impressed with what they saw and they will just want to come back for more. A lot of credit to our drummer, as he helped to generate an electric atmosphere in the second half, as he managed to get most of the crowd joining in by the end.
I can't overstate how impressive this performance was and I can really see us kicking on from here, with the prospect of the return of some of our stars. For my MOTM I can't choose between Marrs and Jameson.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:39 am

Ok so I've just seen the highlights. What a cross by Mitchell for Beck's goal, which he took really well. He certainly does look a great addition to our team. I was wrong about the ref playing an advantage leading up to our goal. But what a header by Cartman in the build up to our winner and a great cross by Thompson to pick out Mitchell.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:48 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Stockport will probably think they should have won on chances created. First half, our over reliance on hitting Beck with every ball meant we gave up possession too cheaply, and they came at us again. Two or three great saves from Jameson, the woodwork and a great goalline clearance from Marrs, and somehow we went in level. Second half we mixed it up a bit more and enjoyed more possession, and a great move for the winner. Jameson still had to make a couple of outstanding saves, and they put a few decent chances wide, but our determination saw us through. Thought Watson did well, certainly second half, and we do look a better team with Cartman in. Thought Portas struggled, the game seemed to bypass him, and Nowakowski did well when he came on. I'd also like to see Nightingale back if Gillies is out for a while as i think he'd give us something different. Every successful team needs an alice band.
Your post was spot on, Hardy in the first half was just living off the scraps from the long ball punts, and Becks head must be starting to hurt! for me the game changed when Cartman and then Nowakowski came on. Nowakowski has got to be starting ahead of Portas who you were right the game just pasted him by.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:07 am

Yea I noticed that, what to make it? Speculation time! Well he lives local, probably tired of the Premiershit lark, wants to get involved in grass routes football in some capacity, give something back to the game and obviously sees the perfect opportunity in Darlo, so maybe the Darlo board are touting him to join. Would it be good to have a high profile person on there? yes.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:39 am

poppyfield wrote:
Yea I noticed that, what to make it? Speculation time! Well he lives local, probably tired of the Premiershit lark, wants to get involved in grass routes football in some capacity, give something back to the game and obviously sees the perfect opportunity in Darlo, so maybe the Darlo board are touting him to join. Would it be good to have a high profile person on there? yes.
Steve has taken the training at Darlo in the past (free of charge). Maybe Gray has invited him to watch games and give some advice on where improvements can be made.

The obvious improvement would be to cut out the number of long high balls, which don't just seem to lose possession for us, when we are up against organised teams.

The pitch wetting in the Stockport box must have been to make them slip, as Darlo were going to run at them, rather than "feed" them the ball in the air.

Agree with the mediocre Darlo play at Altrincham, where we played too deep, narrow and aerial, affording the home team far too much respect (& possession). Many periods of the first games have been wasted by Darlo by the same tactics.

I am not against all long & high balls forward, but when losing possession & the initiative again and again, it should sound an alarm bell.

Darlo may be the best team "on the deck" in this league, so lets have more play to these strengths, rather than keeping this play for "catch up".

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:25 am

poppyfield wrote:
Martin Gray's been teaching him how to coach :lol:

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:51 am

A battling win last night. Poor in the first half - we were so lucky to go in level. Second half was much better. Jameson looked back to his best, and it was good to see. He's had an up and down start to the season, but he's a very talented keeper.

I though Nowakowski did well when he came on. I think he helped give the midfield some balance it was missing. I'd like to see him given a few games alongside Turnbull - might give Turnbull a chance to get forwards a bit more too. It's a side of his game we haven't seen much of because he is normally sitting deeper, but from what I recall of him at Gateshead he very much has that side to his game too.

Marrs was excellent again, Watson did OK considering the circumstances, and he grew into the game. Any defence will struggle when your 2 CBs are out, but second half they looked much more solid, so credit to them for responding in that way.

Reading the Stockport message board they seem to be spiraling into depression about last night (and the league in general). I thought they looked a decent team. Very similar to Gannon's Northwich team - big, strong and fast, and but for some poor finishing/excellent saves/Marrs they would have been out of sight at half time.

2 teams near the bottom of the league coming up now. Not expecting either game to be easy, but a chance to keep putting some more points on the board.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:08 pm

al_quaker wrote:2 teams near the bottom of the league coming up now. Not expecting either game to be easy, but a chance to keep putting some more points on the board.
According to my reckoning, in the next 6 league games we play 5 out of the current bottom 6 teams.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:27 pm

We need to sort out our slow starts and giving away an early goal.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Enjoyable game last night, if you enjoy being on the edge of your nerves. First half as many say they should have been out of sight, easily 2 or 3 up. We just couldn’t keep possession. The long balls to Beck just turning the ball over time and time again. I’m not blaming anyone in particular but when it goes long we need people joining from Midfield and not relying on the two forwards to do it all and our midfield / forwards were too far apart to let that happen. I’m a little worried about Portas at the moment, I don’t question his work rate but he seems to have lost that threat going forward and arriving late, with the way we set up with Beck that would suit him superbly but it’s just not happening. We just seemed lost first half with the simple things not happening.

I’m reading a lot of we were excellent second half and I tend to disagree, yes we were a vast improvement but still not great and for me Stockport created by far the better chances (granted we hit the bar twice) but I don’t recall their keeper making a save, Jameson I struggle to count how many he had. Having said that you simply can’t ignore the effort everybody puts in. Somedays it just doesn’t go for you and many teams would have just died (particularly with the makeshift back 4) but this team just doesn’t give in and that hard graft was rewarded so well done to them all.

Over the 90 mins I thought Jameson was probably MOM (his kicking still dodgy at times but he looks better game after game). I also thought Marrs had a very decent game. Credit too to Thommo who I thought never stopped working and first half looked to be our main source of threat. Whilst plenty around me disagreed I though Mitch also had a good game, topped off with an assist (great ball in, made the header easy) and a goal.

I didn’t think Stockport looked that good a side which we made look better than they are, we offered up so many chances for them some I don’t know how they missed. But still 3 points with a makeshift team is a great return.

Onto Nuneaton on Saturday which looks to be an annoying walk from the train station so hoping for a few pubs to line the way.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:31 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote: Whilst plenty around me disagreed I though Mitch also had a good game, topped off with an assist (great ball in, made the header easy) and a goal.
I thought Mitchell was superb.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Portas had a quiet game yes but so did a few others and to start Nowakoski ahead of him i don't agree with, Tom is class simple as, people expect players on there A game every match...