Darlo v Kiddie Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DarloPeGi
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Kiddie Match Thread

Post by DarloPeGi » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:02 am

Tough game against a decent side. They were quick and organised. I thought we matched our 'full time' opponents well though and gave a good account of ourselves, especially second half. As Mr Tibbs mentioned, Kidderminster's twitter account reflects that they felt they were hanging on a bit through most of the second period and were relieved at getting all three points

Despite the two defeats, it's been a solid start to this league and hopefully it looks as though we are going to be able to compete towards the top end of the table

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:05 am

Kidderminster was an excellent side and I was impressed how they still looked to go forward, when we were pressing at the end of the game. Bit strange that our best chances fell to our left back in open play in the first half. Thought we rode our luck at times, especially when they broke in the second half. But overall we deserved a point, on another night we'd have scored 2 or 3. Thought the crowd was excellent and really got behind the team, especially in the second half. How surreal seeing Steve McLaren turn up in the bar at HP.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:11 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:How surreal seeing Steve McLaren turn up in the bar at HP.
Yes, I believe he was there to hand his form in to join the Supporters Group so he had a good chance of getting a ticket for the first game at BM.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:58 am

Thought we played well last night and carved out a few good chances. Kidderminster are a very good side and will surely be top 5, I thought their number 11 was excellent.

Unlucky for us and another lesson about the step up in standard - I fancy us to bounce back against Stockport in the same way we bounced back against FCUM.

I'm still upbeat and enjoying this level despite the defeat and 5-1-2 is a pretty good start.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:07 am

Like Quakerz I'm not too dishearten after last night.

We were sluggish for the opening 20 minutes but we grew into after that and had an excellent spell in the second half where we had to score. Kidderminster had a lot of the ball but didn't create many clear cut chances (maybe a couple when we were pushing on in the second half). Need to tuck away our chances in games like these. To a lesser extent thats been the case for all our games so far. We create chances but need to take more of them - sounds daft saying that mind when you look at how many goals we've scored.

Maybe Friday night wasn't the best time to play a full time team either. Our players would have been grafting mostly through today.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:10 am

Quakerz wrote:Thought we played well last night and carved out a few good chances. Kidderminster are a very good side and will surely be top 5, I thought their number 11 was excellent.

Unlucky for us and another lesson about the step up in standard - I fancy us to bounce back against Stockport in the same way we bounced back against FCUM.

I'm still upbeat and enjoying this level despite the defeat and 5-1-2 is a pretty good start.
Agree, I was disappointed at the result but not down hearted. One of the better teams in the league and it was a close game, we didn't open them up much but we possibly just about deserved a point.

We have finally got to a point where the games are tough for 90 minutes and it's going to test Gray and the players, however every time Gray is challenged he learns, adapts and improves.

Attendances are fantastic currently and show an appetite for the football club and certainly a very good base for when we move back to Darlo.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:09 am

Yep, there's been a step up in attendances this season so far partly I think due to extra interest because we're home soon.

I do think (unless we're flying) that gates may drop back down to the 1,100 mark for weekend matches once we're into November and playing unglamorous sides. I hope I'm wrong about that though.

First match at BM is certain to be a sell out and I reckon we'll comfortably get 2,000+ for the rest of the season because of the novelty factor.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:21 pm

I've heard a whisper he was wanting to buy a Darlo Pete tee shirt.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:28 pm

I think that kiddy were quicker and more often than not won the second ball because of it,
We more than held our own and only kiddy goalkeeper who pulled of three great saves and defenders clearing of the line keep it at 1_0, all round good game ,Kidderminster goal well work , that's the difference between full and part-time football, Kidderminster stayed at redworth on Thursday night.so were fresh,our lads had a full days work before the game, however as I said we did well and were unlucky,we now move ontothe next game Stockport on Wednesday.
Onwards and upwards.as they say. :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Blimey I'd have thought they have just come up on the morning, as it's only around 3 to 4 hours to get here by coach. Someone is really backing them financially to go straight back up.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Blimey I'd have thought they have just come up on the morning, as it's only around 3 to 4 hours to get here by coach. Someone is really backing them financially to go straight back up.
Their supporters are.

They have a very strong Supporters Trust which raises a lot of money for the club. They've raised money to bring in players and staff and also to pay for overnight stops for certain games.

Their lottery, for instance, has made over £100k for the club since it was introduced about 4 years ago. They currently raise about two and a half times what we do through our lottery so, as well as competing against clubs with potentially bigger gates than we can manage, we're also competing against teams who have well established and greater sources of income from fundraising.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:42 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Blimey I'd have thought they have just come up on the morning, as it's only around 3 to 4 hours to get here by coach. Someone is really backing them financially to go straight back up.
Their supporters are.

They have a very strong Supporters Trust which raises a lot of money for the club. They've raised money to bring in players and staff and also to pay for overnight stops for certain games.

Their lottery, for instance, has made over £100k for the club since it was introduced about 4 years ago. They currently raise about two and a half times what we do through our lottery so, as well as competing against clubs with potentially bigger gates than we can manage, we're also competing against teams who have well established and greater sources of income from fundraising.
impressive

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:54 pm

Fair play to the Harriers fans but didn't our supporters raise £100,000 in three weeks when the call went up to get us home.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:01 pm

Imagine if we raised that amount of money for players would certainly help Gray

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:54 pm

It's impressive and they should be pleased but in the grand scheme of a full time football club that's an extra £25k a season (on average) so 1 additional average player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:17 am

It is impressive and so are our own combination of activities to support our club, but the question was asked how they can afford overnight stops and it's worthwhile looking at all the clubs around us to see how they manage to do things like that. Some have wealthy benefactors, some have very good fan engagement, some may be lucky enough to have both.

If you look at the division above I think Wrexham have something like 4000+ fans in their fans group. Even if we only managed half that we'd be making about £25k/year extra on membership fees alone which would have a knock-on effect in growing the lottery and so on.

We're no longer the big boys in the league we're playing in - the DFCSG needs to move fan engagement up to the next level and fans old and new need to come to understand that there is no us and them any longer. We all share the responsibility of keeping the club moving in the right direction and the simple act of becoming a member of the Supporters Group is the very best way of helping us to do that.
Join - Shop - Collect

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:01 am

Have we ever beaten Kidderminster? Didn't they spoil the party on the first day at the Arena?

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:31 am

Feethams 1966 wrote:Have we ever beaten Kidderminster? Didn't they spoil the party on the first day at the Arena?
Yes and then again at the reopening of the Arena if I remember correctly, with the result mentioned in another thread regarding the 1990 result and them beating us the other night in front of our biggest crowd of this season so far, it seems they are a bit of a bogey side for us.
FORZA DARLO

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:37 am

DFCSG / DFC need to make the most from the increased crowds, with extra advertising of their schemes and gimmicks. Sent some suggestions a week or so ago.

With 600-700 newcomer home fans there should be some extra effort to promote fundraising and volunteering.

The team have done well. but the tactics look a bit too negative, but that is compared to four seasons of attacking dominance. Players may adapt the present tactics in time to create more clear scoring chances from open play.

Hope Gary B is back in a few weeks.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:43 am

What's up with Gary Brown?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:51 am

I thought we created loads of clear-cut chances against the Harriers, we just didn't tuck any of them away.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Gary Brown didn't look crooked when we walked through the bar with a drink on Friday evening.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:09 pm

Calf injury - was limping against FC United.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Gary Brown didn't look crooked when we walked through the bar with a drink on Friday evening.

Unless he was dancing on the tables how would you expect him to look which would demonstrate his injury to you?

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:55 am

Maybe late but my thoughts on this.

Kiddie were very good and for the first 30 mins I feared the worst, was a very well taken goal. They had so much joy down our right hand side and though it may be easy to blame Marr’s he really got no help at all. We just didn’t seem able to fill that hole they were creating. After about 35 mins we started to settle a little and the game became more even. Second half we improved greatly and were well worth a draw come the end.

For all Kiddie were a good side we really pushed them all the way and I think we take a lot from that. I understood that they came up early Friday for the game and had rooms booked at Redworth for a pre-game afternoon nap. Being full time really helps.

I don’t want to be critical because this is a step up and we are coping well but tonight we gave the ball away too easily tonight. The better teams pressurise you on the ball better and it does worry me that with Beck up top it’s too easy an out ball for us. The link but between Beck and the others (be it Hardy, Cartman or forward running midfielders is not there often enough) which results in us losing possession.

A little like at times last season we seem to lack natural width and balance. I’m really unsure who was supposed to be helping Marrs (Portas perhaps) first half. I said it last season but we look better balanced with Mitch playing and I’d like to see us go back to 442 with that in mind. Problem is the squad we have has so many good midfielders its hard fitting them all in.

Just a side not to Jameson, early on he looked much happier moving around the pitch though late on his kicking went to bits. Hopefully it’s a sign that the injury is clearing up.

coles

Post by coles » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:45 am

Mr_Tibbs wrote:It is impressive and so are our own combination of activities to support our club, but the question was asked how they can afford overnight stops and it's worthwhile looking at all the clubs around us to see how they manage to do things like that. Some have wealthy benefactors, some have very good fan engagement, some may be lucky enough to have both.

If you look at the division above I think Wrexham have something like 4000+ fans in their fans group. Even if we only managed half that we'd be making about £25k/year extra on membership fees alone which would have a knock-on effect in growing the lottery and so on.

We're no longer the big boys in the league we're playing in - the DFCSG needs to move fan engagement up to the next level and fans old and new need to come to understand that there is no us and them any longer. We all share the responsibility of keeping the club moving in the right direction and the simple act of becoming a member of the Supporters Group is the very best way of helping us to do that.
100% agree with this comment well said we need more fan engagement fantastic effort to raise the £100k so fast but unless its a crisis our fans seem to amble along happy to let a few volunteers do all the work.

As a suggestion at the next fans forum perhaps it might be worth having a piece on fan engagement and capturing people to get involved using the likes of Kiddiminster, Wrexham and FC Utd as rolemodels of how we can improve.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:14 am

[quote="Neil Johnson"]DFCSG / DFC need to make the most from the increased crowds, with extra advertising of their schemes and gimmicks. Sent some suggestions a week or so ago.

They are not short of ideas and are hoping that the recent request for volunteers will help them deliver. In the meantime if anyone takes part in the lottery please mention it to your friends,relatives or colleagues to help raise the monthly prize to £1000 (£940 presently)