Salford-Out of their League

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Salford-Out of their League

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:04 pm

Hope everyone enjoyed watching our great fight back at Moor Lane. Some great memories. Did anyone spot themselves?

bga

Re: Salford-Out of their League

Post by bga » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Was worth watching for that and the fact they called us Darlington. But best bit had to be Seddon's chat with his Mum about modelling for a Gay mag. Do people like her really still exist?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:16 pm

Not quite as good as the last documentary , although that's more than compensated by reliving the win at their place.

Not a fan however of the exaggeration of our "rivalry" or the portrayal of our fans as troublemakers at that game.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Saw me and mates behind the goal for the winner.BBC making out fans had to be kept apart,what a load of crap,few words but no fisticuffs from what I saw.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:43 pm

It was obvious that the first programme would heavily feature their FA Cup run. I enjoyed the programme and it's attempt to show that Darlo were there fiercest rivals. Have to say the programme showed all our goals and plenty of the Darlo crowd. Salford's game at HP featured in the trailer for next weeks programme. Thought it was funny that they didn't feature their home game against poolie and just the replay.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Not a fan however of the exaggeration of our "rivalry" or the portrayal of our fans as troublemakers at that game.
And I'm not a fan of the BBC's 'against all the odds' narrative - when it's so obviously untrue.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:05 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Not a fan however of the exaggeration of our "rivalry" or the portrayal of our fans as troublemakers at that game.
And I'm not a fan of the BBC's 'against all the odds' narrative - when it's so obviously untrue.
Totally agree. But the sensationalist angle makes for a far better story and thus saleable. Remember that the programme makers will have had to sell this to some plum mouthed no chinned outsized Adam's apple sporting public school bell end at the BBC.

Might not have got off the ground had they pitched it as "5 multi millionaires massively aid no mark non league up the lower leagues'

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:00 pm

against all odds...although the bookies had them as favourites.

It's an enjoyable documentary with a few over the top comments. The whole Seddon thing was quite good to show young kids at clubs shouldn't just rely on football

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:15 pm

If it wasn't for the BBC and the '92 posers we wouldn't be bothered about just another small club that we have to play.

The latest Salford City team version however are a force to be reckoned with.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:41 pm

I heard on the grapevine that to increase viewing figures for series three the BBC arranged for the last fixture of the season to be Salford v Darlington the title decider. Winner takes All. They are possibly going to broadcast the match live.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:08 pm

quakerste wrote:I heard on the grapevine that to increase viewing figures for series three the BBC arranged for the last fixture of the season to be Salford v Darlington the title decider. Winner takes All. They are possibly going to broadcast the match live.
ROFL!

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:23 am

D_F_C wrote: The whole Seddon thing was quite good to show young kids at clubs shouldn't just rely on football

The Seddon thing was awful ! The guy couldn't love himself more if he tried.
Think before posting

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:09 am

I enjoyed the first series but this one feels like they are struggling to fill the time. More concern about the ‘characters’ than the football story, which is understandable as they want to appeal to a wider audience. Perhaps with Neville’s in Spain and Giggs, Scholes and Butt not interested in being on TV they just had nothing to film. Do I care about a woman wedding dress shopping?

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:11 am

I thought it was a poor episode to be honest.

I quietly enjoyed the first series but didn't think this was a patch on it. They glossed over their league campaign to focus on the cup run, despite people saying the league campaign was the most important thing. However I didn't feel there was enough focus on the football. Instead we got lumbered with the Seddon stuff (dull as dishwater - and my god what was with the cheese shop!?!), the wedding stuff and the whole babs thing (although it did raise an interesting point where she said she was just a volunteer – volunteer or not you still have to do the job to a good standard).

I just felt there was a complete lack of focus. You could tell about halfway through the episode the Man United players were busy doing other things as they didn’t feature that much. I do wonder if the people making the show had a moment half way through filming this when they thought “out of the cup, not doing that well in the league and no Man U in easy reach… s***”.

It might get better in the next episode but I honestly didn’t think it was as good as the first series. It just seemed to be a bit all over the shop. I think its maybe suffered from being two episodes as there doesn't feel like there is enough content for it. I was honestly getting bored watching it. I'd have perhaps taken the Seddon and wedding stuff out and put a bit more football in it. Would have improved it a great deal.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:50 am

Personally, I quite like Seddon. Seems to have a sense of humour. Much prefer him to Hulme.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:13 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Personally, I quite like Seddon. Seems to have a sense of humour. Much prefer him to Hulme.
I found him quite dull to be honest plus I felt his story had been told last season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:13 am

TFDM wrote:I thought it was a poor episode to be honest.

I quietly enjoyed the first series but didn't think this was a patch on it. They glossed over their league campaign to focus on the cup run, despite people saying the league campaign was the most important thing. However I didn't feel there was enough focus on the football. Instead we got lumbered with the Seddon stuff (dull as dishwater - and my god what was with the cheese shop!?!), the wedding stuff and the whole babs thing (although it did raise an interesting point where she said she was just a volunteer – volunteer or not you still have to do the job to a good standard).

I just felt there was a complete lack of focus. You could tell about halfway through the episode the Man United players were busy doing other things as they didn’t feature that much. I do wonder if the people making the show had a moment half way through filming this when they thought “out of the cup, not doing that well in the league and no Man U in easy reach… s***”.

It might get better in the next episode but I honestly didn’t think it was as good as the first series. It just seemed to be a bit all over the shop. I think its maybe suffered from being two episodes as there doesn't feel like there is enough content for it. I was honestly getting bored watching it. I'd have perhaps taken the Seddon and wedding stuff out and put a bit more football in it. Would have improved it a great deal.
I get the point, but the programme isn't aimed specifically at non-league football fans as such.

It's designed to have broader appeal, hence the more character-based approach.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:14 pm

TFDM wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Personally, I quite like Seddon. Seems to have a sense of humour. Much prefer him to Hulme.
I found him quite dull to be honest plus I felt his story had been told last season.
Don't think last season touched on old pro preparing for life without football. Preferred his story to the bloody wedding.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:00 pm

If they had won the league then more football would have been shown I think. They don`t really want to show all their defeats.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:58 pm

Well watched the second episode and we barely got a mention, they didn't even bother saying that their arch rivals had won the league. Felt sorry for Seddon, pleased he scored a great goal in the play-off semi final. Will they do a third series, probably not if they don't have a bloody wedding to film.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Another quick piece ive put up today. A quick review of the show https://www.the-newshub.com/football/cl ... gue-review

Just didn't think it was as good this year

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:30 am

Aside from y'know watching the small failures, even I wanted to watch more football involving Salford than a wedding.

It's a football program, put it nicely, I don't give a **** about someone's distant relation to the club, hardly any as it is, being pretty much the centre attention of the program, it could have been used up by that game at HP, instead of a 1 second mention, and even mentioning Blyth, who, like it or not, were also a major title chasing team, who finished above Salford, yet, no mention. This is why people like myself are annoyed, it's barely even about the football.

There were people on twitter asking who they were playing, what's the state of the play-offs, why did they get 2 home games, questions that could have been answered if the Producers actually bothered, but hold up, Karen has dropped her plate of chips, let's get 5 minutes on that.

That time could have been used researching other opponents that Salford came up against, on that note being, the research by the BBC was poor, but what did I really expect.

More football, less romantic drama.

P.s That "against the odds" thing just makes me giggle everytime. It's not Salfords fault, it's the BBC rather mucking up the appearance of non-league, absolute shambles.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm

DarloDean wrote:That "against the odds" thing just makes me giggle everytime.
By no definition could SCFC be classed as "one of Britain's smallest football clubs" as the intro voice-over puts it. It's a ridiculous claim. There are five steps below NLN in the league system, comprising something like 84 divisions and (at a conservative estimate) 2000 clubs. Whether you're looking at ground size, playing squad, turnover, or any other factor, I very much doubt SCFC is one of Britain's smallest clubs.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:35 pm

Karen Baird comes across badly, as usual. The Seddon debacle particularly was of their own making.

If you offer silly money to players from the divisions above to buy a quick promotion or two, then others will expect that too.

Seddon is a prime example of that, scored the goals needed in the lower divisions and a critical one in the playoffs when it counted, then his contribution was lamented on national TV.

I couldn't imagine our club ever behaving in such a crass manner, thankfully.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:09 pm

this got a brief mention on Talksport's Hawksbee & Jacobs show this afternoon - when Martin Kelner came on. He too drew attention to the sensationalist "against all odds" theme. Also mentioned that Butt and Scholes seem to be bored with it all - similarly giggs and only the neville brothers seemed bothered.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:04 pm

All this wank about them getting in the play-offs against the odds was just ridiculous. They were always going to get in the play-offs.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:41 am

Apparently Seddon was on £600 a week, ridiculous money for a club to pay, that struggled to get crowds of £600.

grytters

Post by grytters » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:26 am

And now Salford City & "Scolesy" (for it is he) get a double page spread courtesy of the Guardian sports section, plugging himself, his new book, and media darlings SCFC.
Bring Back the Quarters

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:20 pm

5 famous ex-players of one of the biggest clubs in the world decide to buy a no-mark semi professional team languishing in the lower reaches of the pyramid, turn it around, gain two successive promotions, look well set for a third which will leave them one step from the Football League, and quadruple their crowds - in America they'd be making a feelgood film about it, over here everyone narks on about the coverage they get.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:34 pm

Must admit didn't enjoy this as much as the first series, at one point I thought I must be watching House wives of Salford! But with the Neville's away in Valencia they tried to make it more mainstream - even my wife was enjoying it. I would have preferred if they would have made it less mainstream and stuck it on BBC2 instead. Then we could have seen more about the football, the training ground and the team talks. It would have also been better if it mentioned more about other teams in the league, half the time I was watching the short clips of the games and I couldn't work out who the opposition was. Oh and yes failing to mention Salford "arch rivals" had won the league wasn't good either.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman