1883 Prefix

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 1883 Prefix

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Can we have a vote on the flag, isn't that how this ownership thing works :think:

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
joejaques wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:With the attention on this, it's somewhat frustrating to see a new fan flag with 1883 on it this evening.
Unbelievable. I hope someone has a word.
No need to have a word, just cut it into 1883 pieces. :roll:
Is this is the flag in the main stand? Its been there for quite a while or is there a new one?
This is different flag to the one that is normally in the main stand.
The thing is that it probably cost more to have 1883 put on it than to have FC
FORZA DARLO

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:46 pm

Given that we were forced to change our name by the FA, we chose the only one that tells the world we are not a new club.
I'm surprised they agreed to it actually.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Quakers1883 wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:
joejaques wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:With the attention on this, it's somewhat frustrating to see a new fan flag with 1883 on it this evening.
Unbelievable. I hope someone has a word.
No need to have a word, just cut it into 1883 pieces. :roll:
Is this is the flag in the main stand? Its been there for quite a while or is there a new one?
This is different flag to the one that is normally in the main stand.
The thing is that it probably cost more to have 1883 put on it than to have FC
I'm pretty sure it says Darlington FC 1883... I may be wrong.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:21 pm

go on the Boston fans photos, you can see it on there

bga

Post by bga » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:17 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:I still recognise our history and heritage, 1883 or not, as will all Darlington fans. To those with no allegiance to the club, it means sod all, except when they fancy going fishing. To everyone I've talked to in the "real" world, we are still Darlo, same as AFC Wimbledon are still Wimbledon, AFC Bournemouth are still Bournemouth, and AFC Halifax are still Halifax. And I know they are different to us, but the point still stands. When we play Halifax, I won't be thinking, oh we're playing the phoenix club that used to be Halifax Town today, I'll be thinking "oh, we're playing Halifax today. Remember that FA Cup Tie with Man City all those years ago". I'll be happy if we get to drop the 1883, but it won't eat me up if we don't. Bar occasionally on here and Non League Zone, I never hear the 1883 used anyway.
Spot on Harry. We all recognise what both the FA and RS did to our club. As you say in the "real" football world we are still known as Darlington, it's not as if we have had to change name to say Skerne Park Rangers, Borussia Blackwell or Cockerton Hotspur is it?

I would be interested to understand what tangible benefits both on and off the field, people think would be gained if we are allowed to call ourselves Darlington FC at some point in the future? I'd be surprised if there were any, but I am happy to be corrected. Or is it just seen as a moral victory?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:19 pm

You're probably right harry all my red and blue mates say darlo or Darlington and same with anyone else I talk to....

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:28 pm

bga wrote:Cockerton Hotspur
I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than my love for this name.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:31 am

It's a new flag. It was behind the goal (left of goal) for the whole game on Wednesday night.

To be clear, whilst I'm firmly in the 'injustice of the FA' camp, I would never ask someone to remove a flag or anything pro Darlington. However, the time will come when we will regain our rightful name and what of the flag and those who have accepted the suffix then?

I, and many others will feel vindicated. But we can't afford to alienate or persecute anyone who has embraced the numbers for whatever reason.

Cockerton Hotspur is a great name. It reminds me of a couple of teams I've come across in previous time. Plywood Argyle from the uni social league is possibly my favourite for its simplistic silliness. GCSE Sofia is another.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:27 am

mikkyx wrote:
bga wrote:Cockerton Hotspur
I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than my love for this name.
We can include that in the list of alternate names if the FA decide to let us change the name, but not back to what it was :twisted:
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:35 am

dickdarlington wrote:It's a new flag. It was behind the goal (left of goal) for the whole game on Wednesday night.

To be clear, whilst I'm firmly in the 'injustice of the FA' camp, I would never ask someone to remove a flag or anything pro Darlington. However, the time will come when we will regain our rightful name and what of the flag and those who have accepted the suffix then?

I, and many others will feel vindicated. But we can't afford to alienate or persecute anyone who has embraced the numbers for whatever reason.
Persecute? Talk about being melodramatic.

I'm sorry but every Darlo fan knows the controversy caused by those four digits. If people want to "embrace" 1883, that's up to them, but they have to accept other Darlington fans will question or criticise them for doing so.

Criticism and disagreement is not persecution.

I'm really surprised at the amount of people who seem to think they should be allowed to state an opinion or perform an action but then be above any sort of questioning or criticism for that opinion/action.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:41 am

Pretty sure we've always had darlo flags with 1883 on them, even before the FA debacle? Are we going to ask for them to be removed too? I think not.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:47 am

I spent a bit of time in the 1980's watching Bayer 05 Urdingen FC play in the Bundesliga. They won the German Cup some years later then fell from grace financial irregularities apparently, sound familiar? They did end up playing virtually park football but are now back in the German 5th Division and are called...........KFC Urdingen 05. Wonder who supplies their burger van and what's with retaining the 05 maybe the year they were formed?