Tuesday night's game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Neil Johnson
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tuesday night's game

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:We're in August, not April, Pete.
I know, but even the chance to go top even at this early stage of the season, would be a fantastic start to the season for Gray's team.
Pete, for all we have made a good start, the table at this stage of the season means little. There will be many changes from now to the end of the season.

Going back to your original point, I would be extremely surprised if we had more fans there tonight because we have a chance of going top, with 38 games still to go!
Following that comment, would it be true that winning performances don't effect gates and that no games are worth seeing until April?

As a Darlo fan of over 50 years standing, I reckon the team needs runs of success to obtain more positive publicity, public interest and improve gates (e.g. in cup runs)

We probably will beat our average night game attendances of recent times tonight by a bit of a margin.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:31 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:

Following that comment, would it be true that winning performances don't effect gates and that no games are worth seeing until April?

As a Darlo fan of over 50 years standing, I reckon the team needs runs of success to obtain more positive publicity, public interest and improve gates (e.g. in cup runs)

We probably will beat our average night game attendances of recent times tonight by a bit of a margin.
I think you will find that the team has had a run of success for 4 years now.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:We're in August, not April, Pete.
I know, but even the chance to go top even at this early stage of the season, would be a fantastic start to the season for Gray's team.
Pete, for all we have made a good start, the table at this stage of the season means little. There will be many changes from now to the end of the season.

Going back to your original point, I would be extremely surprised if we had more fans there tonight because we have a chance of going top, with 38 games still to go!
Combination of good weather and our great start to the season, will put extra on tonight's gate.
1543 - little better than night game average

Some folk will want to see a potential Team of the Month and the Manager of the Month performing and will actually be able to drag themselves away from the goggle and google boxes.

Being able to go top is interesting and an attraction to a lot of local people, but the Echo's editor doesn't seem to understand that.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:01 am

Neil Johnson wrote:Following that comment, would it be true that winning performances don't effect gates and that no games are worth seeing until April?

Over the past 4 seasons, matches in April have tended to attract 100-200 or so more than our average. This is because this is when the promotion run-in has really started to heat up and we have always either won the league or made the play-offs.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:07 am

Neil Johnson wrote:

Some folk will want to see a potential Team of the Month and the Manager of the Month performing and will actually be able to drag themselves away from the goggle and google boxes.

Being able to go top is interesting and an attraction to a lot of local people, but the Echo's editor doesn't seem to understand that.
Yes, we have had a great start, I'm not denying that.

We had more fans turn up last night because of our great start, I'm not denying that either.

I can't believe some people (i.e Darlo_Pete & yourself) think that people dragged themselves out just to see us go top in August with 38 games still to go. We could have had the chance to go 2nd last night - just behind the leaders - and the gate would have been the same.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:00 am

If you've got a few minutes to spare, it's worth catching the highlights of the Fylde v Salford match, to cast an eye over a couple of our future opponents. It looked a cracking end-to-end game. In the most controversial moment of the match, how on earth the ref didn't send off the Salford keeper and award a penalty at the end of the first half is beyond me. I'd have been furious if we were on the end of that howler from the officials.
If you're interested..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7MPs_IpkQ

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:26 am

Looking at Fyldes ground, I can see a few pitch invasions happening there, no barriers around the pitch.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:33 am

Johnson & Morley celebrated that goal at 3-2 very Cooper at Wembley-esque.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:

Yes, we have had a great start, I'm not denying that.

We had more fans turn up last night because of our great start, I'm not denying that either.

I can't believe some people (i.e Darlo_Pete & yourself) think that people dragged themselves out just to see us go top in August with 38 games still to go. We could have had the chance to go 2nd last night - just behind the leaders - and the gate would have been the same.
People will always go to see a side that's doing well, whatever there league position is.

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:45 pm

loan_star wrote:Looking at Fyldes ground, I can see a few pitch invasions happening there, no barriers around the pitch.
Probably when Boston visit.

http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/sport/b ... -1-7543493
FORZA DARLO