Old Feethams site

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

saintw
Team Supported: Darlington

Old Feethams site

Post by saintw » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:22 pm

Does anyone have a good quality electronic copy of a Birdseye view of Feethams?

I've just purchased a house on the old site and my garden is right where I've stood many many times watching Darlo in the Tin shed which puts my front door right in the goal mouth. Needless to say I'm chuffed to bits and would like to get a good quality print for my wall and history purposes. Oh it's also called Greener Drive, Feethams Green.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Re: Old Feethams site

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:20 pm

Maybe this? You can buy it in different sizes...

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/feethams ... 50135.html

Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

saintw

Post by saintw » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:53 am

Wow, Football pitches on the cricket pitch, I didn't know that. This must have been long before my first visit to Feethams in the very early 90s although the pics in colour so can't be that old.

Thank you, maybe I could make a through the years display.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:11 am

Having Hutchison telecom plastered all over the roof of the west stand may give you an idea when it was taken :roll:
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:22 am

saintw wrote:Wow, Football pitches on the cricket pitch, I didn't know that. This must have been long before my first visit to Feethams in the very early 90s although the pics in colour so can't be that old.

Hockey pitches, used to be played regularly in early 90s.

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:36 am

saintw wrote:Wow, Football pitches on the cricket pitch, I didn't know that. This must have been long before my first visit to Feethams in the very early 90s although the pics in colour so can't be that old.

This picture if from the 1992/93 season
FORZA DARLO

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:49 am

[quote="saintw"]Wow, Football pitches on the cricket pitch, I didn't know that. This must have been long before my first visit to Feethams in the very early 90s although the pics in colour so can't be that old.

Not only football pitches on the cricket pitch but Darlington F.C. playing a league match there in December 1923.
Darlington v Chesterfield, football pitch frozen and unplayable. Mr Fogg the referee suggested the match could be played on the cricket pitch where there was an inch of crisp without a mark on it.
The referee and football club officials hired a taxi to tour the town and seek approval from the officials from the cricket club who readily gave their consent.
50 men were recruited from the labour exchange to move sufficient snow to enable the pitch to be marked out by the referee himself. Goalposts were moved from the football pitch. The referee then got both clubs to sign an agreement to play on the cricket pitch and not to protest irrespective of the result. A wise decision as the match was in fact on a neutral ground.
Darlington won 2-1 and 6000 people enjoyed the novelty of seeing football on the cricket ground. To this day this is probably the only game ever played on a ground not sanctioned by the F.A

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:40 am

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:11 am

Not football pitches my friend, HOCKEY pitches. We're a regular feature for a few years, may have been Darlington hockey club but cannot be sure.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:13 pm

saintw wrote:Does anyone have a good quality electronic copy of a Birdseye view of Feethams?

I've just purchased a house on the old site and my garden is right where I've stood many many times watching Darlo in the Tin shed which puts my front door right in the goal mouth. Needless to say I'm chuffed to bits and would like to get a good quality print for my wall and history purposes. Oh it's also called Greener Drive, Feethams Green.
So you are not concerned about the potential flooding of the site and also did you manage to get your property insured ok?
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Does anyone have any information about the old house behind the South stand? Was this ever linked to the club? Was it built before or after the ground? When and why was it knocked down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:10 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:Does anyone have any information about the old house behind the South stand? Was this ever linked to the club? Was it built before or after the ground? When and why was it knocked down?

The House was called Polam Villa and predates the ground.

http://www.darlington.gov.uk/media/7280 ... teplan.pdf

I'm not sure if the club ever owned it or not but the house was knocked down and the site cleared while we were still playing at Feethams.
FORZA DARLO

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Polam Villa was the dog kennels, wasn't it?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

grytters

Post by grytters » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Happened once, and once only vs Chesterfield when the football pitch was frozen solid, and as an emergency measure the game was played on the outfield of the cricket pitch.
Bring Back the Quarters

grytters

Post by grytters » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Bring Back the Quarters

grytters

Post by grytters » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:09 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:Does anyone have any information about the old house behind the South stand? Was this ever linked to the club? Was it built before or after the ground? When and why was it knocked down?

And why and how the club managed to erect a floodlight pylon in their back garden?
Bring Back the Quarters

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:32 pm

This would have been playground talk am sure but there was definitely a rumour that a body was found in that house.

I am sure the rumour extended to an act of cannibalism taking place as well...

I've actually just done a quick bit of googling and it may be a true story dating to 1998 - would have made me 9 at the time. Does just say a derelict house in Poland lane mind not sure if that was 2 and 2 being added together to equal 5?

Even the details of it are exactly as I remember the playground stories - that has to be a rare occasion for those to be true.
Last edited by lo36789 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:35 pm

It's true, I remember it well as for some unknown reason I had met the lad who done it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.indepe ... -orange-gb

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:56 pm

I remember the lake in the South Park getting searched by police divers who were searching for body parts

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:57 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:Polam Villa was the dog kennels, wasn't it?
Yes it was, I got a dog from their many moons ago.

saintw

Post by saintw » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:41 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
saintw wrote:Does anyone have a good quality electronic copy of a Birdseye view of Feethams?

So you are not concerned about the potential flooding of the site and also did you manage to get your property insured ok?

They have built up 1 1/2 meters, no problems with insurance. I suppose I will find out soon enough if they have built up sufficiently :shock:

saintw

Post by saintw » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks guys this is all great stuff. There's a lot of knowledge on this forum. Love the 'Darlo game played on the cricket pitch' story.

Thanks for the pics

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:45 pm

Wasn't the flooding with Feethams associated with standing water rather than from the Skerne? If so raising the ground level won't have much impact. If the drains are sufficient there shouldn't be a big problem with standing water as it would be able to drain away quicker than on soil.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:50 pm

lo36789 wrote:This would have been playground talk am sure but there was definitely a rumour that a body was found in that house.

I am sure the rumour extended to an act of cannibalism taking place as well...

I've actually just done a quick bit of googling and it may be a true story dating to 1998 - would have made me 9 at the time. Does just say a derelict house in Poland lane mind not sure if that was 2 and 2 being added together to equal 5?

Even the details of it are exactly as I remember the playground stories - that has to be a rare occasion for those to be true.
I remember there being a rumour that the house was involved but I'm that could have been the same playground rumour you heard. I thought the majority of the body parts were found in a wheelie bin down Polam Lane by a dog? Also has the victims head ever been found?

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Just did a bit of reading and apparently the dog kennel building used to be the stables of a mansion owned by the Backhouse family which stood somewhere up where Sainsburys is now - Polam Villa was, presumably, used by their horse guy.
Join - Shop - Collect

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:06 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
And I'll bet it jumped in front of a bus after a week!