What does Amar have in common with Gloucester City?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

What does Amar have in common with Gloucester City?

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:13 pm

Here's an interesting bit of trivia about our next opponents.

We all know that Amar was in action in Georgia (kind of) this Summer but, in 1991, Gloucester City became the first English club to have a Summer tour of the newly independent Georgia.

It says at the link below that it all began with a home friendly against Dinamo Minsk who were so impressed by their hosts' hospitality that they invited them back to their country. I don't quite get how they then ended up in Georgia seeing as Minsk is in Belarus which is over a 1000 miles from Tbilisi, but they did really well in the three matches they played...

Tiger Roar - Gloucester City in Georgia - July 1991
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Re: What does Amar have in common with Gloucester City?

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:16 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:Here's an interesting bit of trivia about our next opponents.

We all know that Amar was in action in Georgia (kind of) this Summer but, in 1991, Gloucester City became the first English club to have a Summer tour of the newly independent Georgia.

It says at the link below that it all began with a home friendly against Dinamo Minsk who were so impressed by their hosts' hospitality that they invited them back to their country. I don't quite get how they then ended up in Georgia seeing as Minsk is in Belarus which is over a 1000 miles from Tbilisi, but they did really well in the three matches they played...

Tiger Roar - Gloucester City in Georgia - July 1991
I dream of a pre season tour in Georgia.......best place I have ever been!

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:18 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:I dream of a pre season tour in Georgia.......best place I have ever been!
me too. We'd thrash 'em!
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

bertbanger
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by bertbanger » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:40 am

belarus didn't exist in those days, Georgia got split up into 2, Georgia and Belarus after civil war

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:05 am

bertbanger wrote:belarus didn't exist in those days, Georgia got split up into 2, Georgia and Belarus after civil war
It was Abkhazia (where Amar played) which got split up from Georgia (unless you're from Georgia, in which case the two were never split up - just temporarily divided).

Belarus is a long way from Georgia - not even bordering it. Mind you, all these old Soviet "Dynamo" clubs are/were related, so that might have had something to do with how they ended up playing in Georgia instead of Belarus.