Darlo Fans Radio - Tech help needed

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

eddiegrundy
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo Fans Radio - Tech help needed

Post by eddiegrundy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:32 pm

Unfortunately I couldn't pick up the audio last night as my system got stuck on Loading... It appears that other people had similar problems too. I've subsequently found that I can't play any other radio stations on Mixlr either. I had no problem with the previous platform used by Darlo fans Radio, and it's the same PC I'm using. The problem appears to be to do with Flash Player. Mixlr doesn't think I've got it installed and keeps prompting me to install it. When I check on the Adobe Help page it says I've got the latest version installed and It's working fine. I've tried installing it again using the "Install" button offered by Mixlr, but it just gets stuck in the middle of the Installation process. I've got no problems viewing videos on YouTube and other sites so I believe Flash Player is working OK. It's just Mixlr that has the problem. Any ideas anyone? I'm running a Windows 7 system.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Re: Darlo Fans Radio - Tech help needed

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Have you tried it in a different web browser? I sometimes get one web browser complaining I haven't got Flash installed on some websites. I got the commentary working last night on old Opera (v11.64) which is my main browser. Give Vivaldi a try if you want to install something new... I watch a lot of the free football streams on that and it seems to be a pretty good alternative to Chrome/Firefox etc.

https://vivaldi.com/
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:58 pm

eddiegrundy wrote:I've got no problems viewing videos on YouTube and other sites so I believe Flash Player is working OK. It's just Mixlr that has the problem. Any ideas anyone? I'm running a Windows 7 system.
I'm pretty sure YouTube dropped flash a while ago and now uses HTML5 video as a standard. So just because YouTube is working doesn't mean Flash is not dodgy.

eddiegrundy

Post by eddiegrundy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:30 pm

Mr Tibbs & TFDM

Thanks for the help guys. I should have said that I'm using IE11. I was rather hoping to get it working in that. as I don't want to clutter my system with multiple browsers. Shockwave Flash Object is enabled in add-ons and ActiveX filtering is off.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:53 pm

eddiegrundy wrote:Mr Tibbs & TFDM

Thanks for the help guys. I should have said that I'm using IE11. I was rather hoping to get it working in that. as I don't want to clutter my system with multiple browsers. Shockwave Flash Object is enabled in add-ons and ActiveX filtering is off.

Have you switched it off and on. :lol:

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:32 pm

eddiegrundy wrote:Mr Tibbs & TFDM

I'd recommend installing another browser (Chrome or Firefox) then if you don't want your system cluttered remove IE. Whether this fixes your problem or not you'll still have a better browsing experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:35 pm

I would avoid uninstalling IE. Don't know about Windows 7 but it used to be important to other parts of the operating system. Stick chrome or safari on. Basically anything is better than IE.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:35 pm

TFDM wrote:Basically anything is better than IE.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:42 pm

I'd also recommend trying a different browser.
Mixlr offers a better platform across multiple devices and we know from research last year that listeners use a wide variety of methods to listen to the commentaries.
It's also a lot less delayed, has a mobile app, allows notifications when broadcasting, and is much easier to broadcast on. It's slightly cheaper as well.
I realise none of this matters if it doesn't work for you yet, but I just wanted to mention some of the thinking behind the move.
So far, it's actually proving easier for people to listen, but again, that's little consolation when you personally can't listen yet!

eddiegrundy

Post by eddiegrundy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. After a lot of grief and various tries I enventually got it working. What worked for me was Selecting "Tools", "Internet Options", then the "Advanced" Tab. On that tab select "Reset Internet explorer settings". After restarting the PC, bingo - it worked. One unwanted side effect of doing this is that you lose a lot of your internet explorer settings which then have to be reinstated by hand. I look forward to the next Darlo fans broadcast!

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:02 pm

You may find that whatever IE did to trick you into blocking it last time will do so again. I'd still try another browser - it can work wonders for your blood pressure.