The Vibe

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlobaz79
Team Supported: Darlington

The Vibe

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Wonder how the vibe is tonight at Spenny after losing 3-1 v Hednesford.

5 ex-Darlo in the starting 11.

Gaskell scored 2 on debut for Ashton

super_les_mcjannet

Re: The Vibe

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:33 pm

In fairness we got beat 2-0 last season on opening day.

I see Armstrong didn't make the 16, I think he might be away if not then a big mistake.

Radar

Post by Radar » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:49 am

There's only one vibe that comes from a heavy defeat on the opening day of the season and that's a negative one.

Even factoring Armstrong missing, Spennymoor have spent an absolute fortune in the summer, signing conference rejects, with the thinking it will take them to the next level. That may prove to be the case, but along with that comes expectation and pressure. Be interesting to see how they fare up, but i think it will be a season of under achievement.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:03 am

But it's fine, they're self sufficient so it doesn't matter how much money they throw at signing players....

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:41 am

I seriously hope we don't start obsessing over Spennymoor just because of what a couple of their players said.

Their fans have already developed a bizarre, stalkerish obsession with us so there's no need to repay the favour.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:51 am

Indeed, there's no rivalry for me, especially as we're not even in the same league now. The club were good to us when we needed a hand last season. The players that chose them over us made their decision and the comments have only highlighted the fact we've had a lucky escape. Let's focus on the 20 lads that do want to be here for the right reasons and are already showing it on the pitch.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:00 am

Agreed obsessions with other clubs are just weird.

Liverpool and United fans have it with each other's club to the point that I can't work out whether they support their team or just oppose the other!

Our rivals are Hartlepool lets not get dragged into a debate that it is Spennymoor.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:05 am

I don't wish any bad feelings or luck towards Spennymoor. We brought in players that bought into Gray's visions for the club and wanted to play for us. The players Spennymoor brought in, were not that type of player. I hope they have a decent season, but I do fear for them if things don't go so well this season, as they must have a hefty wage bill. One things for sure, you can't judge how they're going to do after just one game.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:22 am

lo36789 wrote:Agreed obsessions with other clubs are just weird.

Liverpool and United fans have it with each other's club to the point that I can't work out whether they support their team or just oppose the other!

Our rivals are Hartlepool lets not get dragged into a debate that it is Spennymoor.
I'm with lo36789 on this one.... Hartlepool are our rivals, no one else.

I wish Spennymoor all the best but won't particularly be looking for their results on a Saturday evening.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:44 am

Spennymoor have the chance to bounce back at against Warrington on Tuesday night.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Like others have said, Hartlepool are our only rivals, hopefully we'll meet again very soon.

As for Spennymoor, theres a reason why MG didnt push to sign the lads who chose them over us, they've gone for money which is their choice, MG has brought us players who want to do well and play with passion

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:29 pm

Spenny have been good neighbours to Darlo for decades. I suppose Harrogate Town will be the next target for those that need to have a hate club, as some kind of crutch.

If you want to be angry about any club I suggest the detestable Man. Utd.

I've been ABU since the mid 60's.

Darlo have lost a lot of support by the disproportionate media attention this particular club received from the Manchester & London based media. There are other clubs of course, so fill your boots!

It's a lot easier to "follow" a club for free 7 days a week in the spoon fed media outpourings than paying to support and making an effort to see your local team (live & in 3-D).

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Anyone want to have a stab at translating the above?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:19 pm

lo36789 wrote:Anyone want to have a stab at translating the above?
For once Neil makes a good point, other than the thing about Harrogate Town.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Spenny have been good neighbours to Darlo for decades. I suppose Harrogate Town will be the next target for those that need to have a hate club, as some kind of crutch.

Darlo have lost a lot of support by the disproportionate media attention this particular club received from the Manchester & London based media. There are other clubs of course, so fill your boots!

It's a lot easier to "follow" a club for free 7 days a week in the spoon fed media outpourings than paying to support and making an effort to see your local team (live & in 3-D).
Why Harrogate???? Never had a problem with Darlo in the past...TIT

Sussex07

Post by Sussex07 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:54 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:Like others have said, Hartlepool are our only rivals, hopefully we'll meet again very soon.
All of this .. :thumbup: Never liked them since they chased me and some other schoolkids into Crows fairground back in the 70's after their train arrived. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:00 pm

I've always maintained that it's not a question of if we are in the same league as poolie, just a question of when.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:49 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:Spenny have been good neighbours to Darlo for decades. I suppose Harrogate Town will be the next target for those that need to have a hate club, as some kind of crutch.

Why Harrogate???? Never had a problem with Darlo in the past...TIT
Nah, Neil's right. He wasn't suggesting that he would be one of those people - just that some people will probably use Harrogate as their team to hate this season, for reasons which will escape all logic.

Dany Krap

Post by Dany Krap » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I've always maintained that it's not a question of if we are in the same league as poolie, just a question of when.
Only one season in the last fourteen Pete :o

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:51 pm

Whats the obsession with hating Man Utd?

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:10 pm

It's a British thing to resent success, it used to be Liverpool in the 80's. I am detecting a lesser anti-MU vibe since they dropped off the pace.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:35 pm

shawry wrote:Whats the obsession with hating Man Utd?
Yeh I've never under it. I've always been quite respectful of what Ferguson and Man Utd achieved, particularly the way they seemed to always have a strong core of British players.

I'm going to find it very hard to be a Man Utd sympathiser now that Mourinho is in charge though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Got their vibe back tonight i see.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:14 am

remember Martin Gray's words at the end of last season. 'We may not have won the league if it wasn't for Brad Groves and Spenny'. Some of us have short memories.

Agree with Gramps and Divas.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:49 am

I just hate (probably a bit too strong a word) all the idiots who sit in pubs in Darlo centre on a Saturday watching them on the dodgy channels claiming to be a fan... they spend more in a day on the beer watching Sky sports than they would on the 12 quid entrance fee to watch us...

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:33 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
I just hate (probably a bit too strong a word) all the idiots who sit in pubs in Darlo centre on a Saturday watching them on the dodgy channels claiming to be a fan... they spend more in a day on the beer watching Sky sports than they would on the 12 quid entrance fee to watch us...
Most of them are probably best left where they are to be honest.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:39 pm

It's not just United though is it?

Same could be said for Liverpool, and to be honest, the worst offenders are born and bred Darlo people that pretend to be pseudo Geordies as they support Newcastle and probably go to one or two games a season and watch the rest on their sofa or in Hoskins. The town is absolutely crawling with them.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:36 pm

United fans tend to be arrogant twats, more than most. Would have grudging respect for Fergie's teams if he had ever given credit to the opposition when beaten, rather than blaming the referee, the fixture schedule etc etc. Plus can't stand all this living in the past bollocks - still singing songs about Cantona for god's sake.

That's just me though.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:24 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:United fans tend to be arrogant twats, more than most. Would have grudging respect for Fergie's teams if he had ever given credit to the opposition when beaten, rather than blaming the referee, the fixture schedule etc etc. Plus can't stand all this living in the past bollocks - still singing songs about Cantona for god's sake.

That's just me though.
They aint just arrogant, there nasty as well, as I was once pretty much told by a Manure fan "We're Man Utd, we'll do what we want" as they tried to trash the away end at Sunderland in 2010, achieving not much more than intimidating a few young girls no older than 18-19 who could not do anything but stand back and let there bar be robbed...This came not long after they caused thousands in damage at Barnsley, again frightening teenage girls.

My dad always used to say his hatred was for Leeds back in the 70's, he hated the Don, he hated the players and he hated there brand of Football...He also hated Jimmy Hill too

For me, my only hatred is Hartlepool

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:24 am

I think time has lessened the rivalry between us and the hangers, but when we do play them, there will no doubt be some idiots from both sides trying to stir up trouble.