Darlington FC V Boston United

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston United

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:30 pm

Excellent performance and thoroughly well deserved win, thought Hardy and Beck looked the business up front. I'm sure Gray was delighted that both scored. Agreed that Galbraith got man of the match, his delivery at set pieces is of a class above the level we are currently playing. Great crowd as well.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:48 pm

Good to see that the BBC have us as Darlington 1883 in 17th spot after getting a draw today!!!!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:13 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Good to see that the BBC have us as Darlington 1883 in 17th spot after getting a draw today!!!!
Darlo_Pete complaining about people making inaccurate statements.

Heavy dosage of irony there.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:44 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:What the hell were the Boston fans doing celebrating their goal with such vigour? They're a weird bunch of people. The fans stood near us In the first half seemed to think the earth rotates around them. Actually, the little backwater residents probably still think the earth doesn't rotate and is flat. Best quote of the day (after 20 stories of their players), "did you see what happened in the Kings Lynn game?" Funnily enough, no, we couldn't care less. Closely followed by "Our number 10 is good isn't he?" As Smith headed wide in the first half.

As for the game. Early days but the signs are good. Boston pressed the self destruct button after a tight and edgy first half. But we were clinical and ruthless enough to punish them.

Hardy was brilliant, simply brilliant. Beck is going to cause defences trouble. Was a bit disappointed by Gillies personally. But he had 2 men on him all day. And he did show signs of what everyone's been raving about. Scott was solid and aside from one dispossession in the first half didn't put a foot wrong. Turnbull didn't have his best game. A few mistakes (unlike him) but his 60% is better than most others 100%.

Good game from Jameson. Defence were the defence. Always seem to do the job. Agree with Tez for MOM. He stood out today.

A happy Quaker tonight
It's all about opinions my mate said Scotty had a very quite day and was a little slow on the ball
He was, until the water break whilst Burgess got treatment for his head injury. After that he was excellent - just like last season.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:24 am

Agreed, Scott got better as the game progressed. Like his team mates they'll all need time to adapt to this level. Once Leon realized he had to get rid of the ball quicker he was much better. We all know he can do the enforcer role but some of his passing later on in the half was the best I've seen from him

Mick

Post by Mick » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:08 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Good to see that the BBC have us as Darlington 1883 in 17th spot after getting a draw today!!!!
I spotted that too. You wait all this time to start getting featured again....

slappys forskin

Post by slappys forskin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:32 am

Good to see you at yesterdays game Pete,your cargo pants looked a bit faded Pete time for a new pair

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:27 pm

Looked like Turnbull picked up a knee injury and was struggling towards the end of the match. I'm sure he would have come off if we hadn't used all our subs to give them some game time. Could be a doubt for Monday.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Hmmmm - I thought score flattered us but we deserved to win. If you look at the goals we got some luck. Pen was a pen but I've seen them not given. Hardy's was a defensive mistake and the third when he sliced the ball into the net with no need to. Fourth was bundled in. Would say first half was about even stevens but second there was only one team going to win but disappointed the way we gave away one at the end, sloppy after Jameson had just earlier saved us from Turnbull being turned over.

Overall very encouraging but as others say you have to wonder how good Boston are going to be. Still a bit rusty but that comes with being the beginning of the season and new players to bed in. Thought both Hardy and Beck looked good, Hardy certainly seems to put more of a shift in that last season when not in possession. Gillies looks good but when on the wing he does invariably turn back towards goal when he gets first possession (something that infuriates me) rather than attack the space in front of him (a la Thomson). On the plus side he keeps finding space for himself and is always looking to receive. Also h4e is tricky rather than fast and when he is in the centre and attacks into the area he had their defence in real trouble. Thommo I thought looked good when he got the ball but that wasn't that often, he hit two cracking shots which were both blocked (on another day...) - when he hits that ball it certainly stays hit. Having said that some of his passing was a bit suspect.

Scott got better as the game wore on, Cartman did well when he came on. Back four were well up to the challenge though the lad at right back doesn't seem to give us the attacking options Hunter does. Turnbull is an absolute maestro - he absolutely ran that game yesterday and I would bet a considerable sum that he had more time on the ball than anyone else on the filed. Saying that he did get caught with it a couple of times and perhaps, like Scott he has to realise that a division higher you don't get the luxury of quite so much time on it.

Think we can play better but suspect we will meet better teams so we'll have to. a good start to the season so far.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:43 pm

Quick piece on the match. https://www.the-newshub.com/football/da ... ton-united

Thought overall we were impressive, they didnt look up to a lot though. Tez and Hardy were both excellent yesterday. Especially impressed with Hardy given the split of opinion last season on him

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:33 pm

Sidarlo wrote:Quick piece on the match. https://www.the-newshub.com/football/da ... ton-united

Thought overall we were impressive, they didnt look up to a lot though. Tez and Hardy were both excellent yesterday. Especially impressed with Hardy given the split of opinion last season on him
I think the penny started to drop for Hardy the last few games of last season.No doubting his scoring record for Buxton but he lacked the graft that MG demands.I think it was the Stamford game when he came on he started to look the part and made the doubters(including me) think again.Now he's had a Darlo pre- season under his belt it could be the making of him.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:40 pm

I was very near to the penalty incident in the first half and it was a very soft penalty.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:10 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I was very near to the penalty incident in the first half and it was a very soft penalty.
Makes up for the absolute stonewaller we were denied when Turnbull was taken out a few minutes earlier!

divas

Post by divas » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:14 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I was very near to the penalty incident in the first half and it was a very soft penalty.
Makes up for the absolute stonewaller we were denied when Turnbull was taken out a few minutes earlier!
:thumbup: