Josh Gilles

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

piggy
Team Supported: Darlington

Josh Gilles

Post by piggy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:48 am

Signs for darlo...scored 4 in 23 apps for Gateshead last season

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/qua ... h-gillies/

Undercovered

Re: Josh Gilles

Post by Undercovered » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:52 am

Good signing - thought he might end up here last season before signing for Gateshead

Perfect replacement for Wearmouth

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:06 am

He is rated by Gray, so that is good enough for me. Also at 26 he should only be getting better. What position does he play?

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:13 am

Gray seems to rate him as highly as Phil Turnbull, looks like we've got ourselves another good signing

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:23 am

If he turns out as good as Turnbull then we've got a brilliant player on our hands! Seems to be a winger, which makes sense with Wearmouth out for a long time.

I wonder if that's it for signings. Looking at the squad, it looks pretty complete other than a big Armstrong type striker. But we already have 4 strikers, so I can't see at this stage another striker signing.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:26 am

He is a classy player. Easily able to play one or two divisions higher.

Of course we do have to wait to see whether he can perform to the level he's capable of. For every Phil Turnbull there's a Paul Robinson.

But we've undoubtedly improved the squad in terms of quality and strength in depth this summer.

And of course we won the league last season with a 104 points.

With a stronger and better squad, I'd be disappointed if we weren't challenging for the play-offs this season. Consolidating in mid-table is below what this squad is capable of.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:35 am

Darlogramps wrote: But we've undoubtedly improved the squad in terms of quality and strength in depth this summer.
This. The strength in depth of the squad is quite something now. Towards the end of last season, other than up front the team sort of picked itself. Now, when everyone is available, there's going to be some very good players not even on the bench!

Challenging for the playoffs should be a realistic aim. But then I said this before the start of last season....

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:29 am

It says on that link that he's an attacker. Could he play the Armstrong role as well as being a winger if need be?

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:50 am

Asked about him on the Gateshead forum.

Basically - he is too good for this level and the only reason he left Gateshead is because he was advised by his agent that both Kilmarnock and Northampton wanted him. He didn't let Gateshead know and it pissed the club off. Deals to Kilmarnock and Northampton fell through and he's ended up with nothing.

Interesting that he was seen training with Spenny a while back.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:41 am

DFCAnth wrote:Asked about him on the Gateshead forum.

Basically - he is too good for this level and the only reason he left Gateshead is because he was advised by his agent that both Kilmarnock and Northampton wanted him. He didn't let Gateshead know and it pissed the club off. Deals to Kilmarnock and Northampton fell through and he's ended up with nothing.

Well that sounds very promising!

Odd that he's chosen to become a number at Darlo, rather than be part of the incredible vibe at Spennymoor....!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:44 am

al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: But we've undoubtedly improved the squad in terms of quality and strength in depth this summer.
This. The strength in depth of the squad is quite something now. Towards the end of last season, other than up front the team sort of picked itself. Now, when everyone is available, there's going to be some very good players not even on the bench!

Challenging for the playoffs should be a realistic aim. But then I said this before the start of last season....
It's great to have competition for places, but it's always a double-edged sword.

When they're all fit, there's no way Gray can fit Cartman, Hardy, Purewal, Gaskell, Thompson, Mitchell, Gillies, Wearmouth and Nightingale into the same starting XI or matchday squad. Even allowing for injuries/suspensions, people are still going to miss out.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see a couple of mid-season departures.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

It's great to have competition for places, but it's always a double-edged sword.

When they're all fit, there's no way Gray can fit Cartman, Hardy, Purewal, Gaskell, Thompson, Mitchell, Gillies, Wearmouth and Nightingale into the same starting XI or matchday squad. Even allowing for injuries/suspensions, people are still going to miss out.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see a couple of mid-season departures.
He may allow one or two of the players to go out on loan, to get some matchday experience.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:27 pm

What a great signing, and a statement of intent from the club.

Reading on Gatesheads fans forum, reaction on Twitter etc, they can't believe he has dropped down a league. He's only recently been on trial at a league club, so for us to pull off his signing is a real coup. And it has come completely out of the blue, completely missed the rumour mill.

Impressed with all the new signings, think we've strengthened the squad well, and whilst some ppl can't get over missing out on a few certain players to a team nearby, I think we've got a squad that will be competitive.

Roll on August 6th.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Brilliant signing. I think playoffs might be a bit much to expect though. If we make them, obviously that is brilliant. I reckon mid-table stability and a return to the town would be an excellent season in itself.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:57 pm

Welcome and maybe a very significant signing.

He was described as an "Attacking Midfielder" by the Beeb on his return to Gateshead, so his goal scoring tally at higher level is impressive. Like Nightingale he seems to be another new signing that could improve our cutting edge and excitement levels for newcomer supporters.

He isn't that tall to be an Armstrong like target man, but neither was Speedie and he was prolific, especially at heading in crosses.

From his recent history, Josh may still be hoping for a bigger club, so we could have some great performances from him to improve his prospects and Darlo can potentially pick up a tasty transfer fee.

If (big word that) we gain promotion he could be a willing full-time signing.

Anyway all will be revealed...................

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:56 pm

No mention of how long a contract he has signed, does anybody know?

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:02 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:No mention of how long a contract he has signed, does anybody know?
Longer the better for DFC. Seen him on You Tube - looks the bizz!

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:40 pm

From what I have seen so far the only issue ive seen with the signings is the lad who played at left back at Buxton(sorry cant recall his name)seemed a little slow but that might have just been pre season rust.

I would be happy with a play off spot and a decent FA Cup run to go with the return to Darlo......easily pleased.

Hoping Gilles is on a contract that allows Darlo money if we sell him to a bigger club in the future.

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:54 pm

al_quaker wrote:
DFCAnth wrote:Asked about him on the Gateshead forum.

Well that sounds very promising!

Odd that he's chosen to become a number at Darlo, rather than be part of the incredible vibe at Spennymoor....!
Why do I keep seeing the words "spenny" and "vibes" about? Is there something I'm missing? :crazy:

EDIT: Nevermind I found out. Jesus wept. I'll remember this forever. Laughable :lol: :lol:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:07 am

Do share Dean, I'd love to know as well.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:16 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Do share Dean, I'd love to know as well.
I'm surprised it hasn't been properly mentioned on here. I think we should stay classy and not react to it. Do our talking on the pitch as we have been for 4 years

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:35 am

What are you all talking about?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Look at the Spennymoor forum video on YouTube. 28 minutes in, they give off a really good 'vibe'.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:48 pm

AndyPark wrote:Look at the Spennymoor forum video on YouTube. 28 minutes in, they give off a really good 'vibe'.
Looks like they have done a 'Warrington' at Newton Aycliffe :lol:

http://www.spennymoortownfc.co.uk/blog/ ... -friendly/
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:52 pm

The first question a Spendymore fan asked to Chandler at the forum was about Darlington.

Spendy fans are utterly obsessed with us.

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:55 pm

I won't lower myself on these forums, but I will say to give this a watch. Especially from the 30 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMQbgwO9EOA

Make what you will. I fell off me old chair.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:08 pm

It is very Vic and Bob.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:01 pm

Quick, but not a very convincing reply from Chandler about why HE chose not to join Darlo.

Spenny may build a team around him, rather than being cover on a Darlo bench.

Good look to the lad anyway and Spenny.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:23 pm

DarloDean wrote:
I won't lower myself on these forums, but I will say to give this a watch. Especially from the 30 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMQbgwO9EOA

Make what you will. I fell off me old chair.
First time I have seen that :lol:

Signing Chandler and Craddock on the terms they are on at Spenny would have blown our wage structure out of the water. Both would be on far much more than Turnbull, a player who is a far better footballer than Chandler will ever be.
Chandler knew that if he came to Darlo he wouldn't be guaranteed a place in the team either.
As others have said, a bigger pay packet is always a good vibe. People like Chandler and Ramshaw should know only too well what can happen to a club that relies on one persons money to keep them going. Lets how they find the vibe should Groves ever get bored or ill.

Radar

Post by Radar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:13 pm

the vibe of money was a major factor in optioning for Spennymoor. I'm also going to include, some of those boys didn't have the stomach to cope with Martin Grays disciplinarian ways, opting for the easier ride and an easier level of football. Good luck at Spennymoor lads, time will tell of you made a good decision. The pressure is certainly on!!