Short Pre-Season?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakersam
Team Supported: Darlington

Short Pre-Season?

Post by quakersam » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Anyone else thinking we've a rather short pre-season this year? Saturday was the first game I've seen and we didn't look as sharp as I was expecting us to be, especially with MG wanting the squad to be fitter than we were last season.

We've played a Step 3, Step 5 and Step 6 side so far which hasn't been the most challenging, plus Newcastle's kids which was a step up that ultimately we learnt nothing from.

Why the two week break from the Gateshead game to the first league game? I'm just slightly concerned that the players may lose that bit of match sharpness, I thought we'd be playing at least a few more games in order to hit the ground running in August. Have we got something planned in between?

As reported in the Echo this morning, Turnbull only plays against Sunderland before he goes off on holiday, I know he's an ex pro that will look after himself but that's only 5 games
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Emdubya

Re: Short Pre-Season?

Post by Emdubya » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Newcastle reserves pal,not kids.Think you'll see a few of those lads in the first team this season.Bound to be something in the pipeline after the Heed game.As you say,two weeks without a game is very strange.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:01 pm

Aye didn't most of them spend a fair amount of time playing for Rangers?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:52 am

These Newcastle players are full time pro,s and it showed in them being a half a yard quicker the players forward thinking movement and general all round play were good and I expect to see quite a few of them playing first team football in the very near future,if not with Newcastle certainly a team in the championship.having said that we weren't disgraceed,there was a class difference and it showed.however I think we go into the season full of confidence ,tonight Will help with getting the players matchfit as all pre season games are there for that reason.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:20 am

Emdubya wrote:Newcastle reserves pal,not kids.Think you'll see a few of those lads in the first team this season.Bound to be something in the pipeline after the Heed game.As you say,two weeks without a game is very strange.
I checked the ages of the Newcastle starting XI:
Harker (17), Newbury (18), Cameron (19), Bigirimana (22), Williams (19), Good, (23), Gillhead (20), Barlasser (19), Toney (20), Vukic (23), Roberts (19)
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Emdubya wrote:Newcastle reserves pal,not kids.Think you'll see a few of those lads in the first team this season.Bound to be something in the pipeline after the Heed game.As you say,two weeks without a game is very strange.
I checked the ages of the Newcastle starting XI:
Harker (17), Newbury (18), Cameron (19), Bigirimana (22), Williams (19), Good, (23), Gillhead (20), Barlasser (19), Toney (20), Vukic (23), Roberts (19)
Newcastle of old had three team loads of "known" International players. Costs have probably been cut to the bone since those days.

We should be grateful for NUFC and SAFC sending us teams that will give us a hard game. The previous 3 friendly games were really for increasing physical fitness and checking out new signings and trialists.

From the hard core fans' point of view we want the opportunity to see as many pre-season games as possible, however the club is no longer full time professional and job and family time take priority.

I hope there are no "behind closed door" friendly games fitted in, as the hard core fans, who keep the club going, would be aggrieved.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Why the heck do you keep referring to 'hard-core' fans? :roll: :roll:

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:15 am

I've read that there is a behind closed doors friendly next saturday

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:58 am

D_F_C wrote:I've read that there is a behind closed doors friendly next saturday
Where have you read this?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Its in the Echo, against a football league side
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker