Blackwell Meadows pipe solution?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Blackwell Meadows pipe solution?

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Just been looking at the plans for BM and how it makes both the redevelopment lop sided but also limits future redevelopment. Would a possible solution not be to move the pitch 10-15 yards towards the town? It would thus put the new seated stand more centrally located on the half way line and also put the existing seats next to the club house more central also? Under the current plans they are all in one half. There's currently no hard structures preventing this, and looking at google maps there is no reason why that land could not be utilised, so curious why it hasn't be thought of... It could obviously be done in the future, but that would then involve moving the tin shed and whatever limited hard standing will go down at the other end too?

Also, could the temporary stand not be placed over the pipe behind the goal that is currently empty? It could be used as the away end as a fair few sides in this league will surely be bringing a decent following and segregation will be required. Thoughts?

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Re: Blackwell Meadows pipe solution?

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:55 pm

The tin shed in the above picture is at the town end. Moving the pitch closer to town would result in the existing seats and the new seats being further away from the halfway line.

It's my opinion that the existing seats should be completely ignored. They are so low down and far from the pitch that the view from there will be terrible. Also in order to view the pitch from those seats no one will be able to stand on that side of the pitch, which will greatly reduce the capacity.

I've already suggested moving the pitch away from the clubhouse by a short distance, this would move where the pipeline crosses the touch line on the bypass side closer to the corner so more seats can be built towards the centre of the pitch. It would also allow a stand to be built along the clubhouse side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm

H1987 wrote:Just been looking at the plans for BM and how it makes both the redevelopment lop sided but also limits future redevelopment. Would a possible solution not be to move the pitch 10-15 yards towards the town? It would thus put the new seated stand more centrally located on the half way line and also put the existing seats next to the club house more central also? Under the current plans they are all in one half. There's currently no hard structures preventing this, and looking at google maps there is no reason why that land could not be utilised, so curious why it hasn't be thought of... It could obviously be done in the future, but that would then involve moving the tin shed and whatever limited hard standing will go down at the other end too?

Also, could the temporary stand not be placed over the pipe behind the goal that is currently empty? It could be used as the away end as a fair few sides in this league will surely be bringing a decent following and segregation will be required. Thoughts?

Never as simple as it looks on paper, although seems like an idea. There will be drains to be repositioned, changes to the floodlights, need to access the fields behind the Tin Shed, fences to be moved - all of which the landlords would need to agree but add to the costs.

Like the idea of putting the temporary seats at the open end, but would have to be sure this could be done so as not to obstruct the manhole access and probably can't use any heavy machines to do it as the pipework is only 600mm below the surface.

One problem with the Tin Shed facing as shown, would be exposure to the prevailing westerly winds, hence when it rains the Shed may not provide much cover. If that is the case, then perhaps we can nominate that as the away end?

It is never going to be perfect, but at least we will be back in Darlo, so let's make the best of it and get behind the club. Perhaps it could be ready in time for Christmas?

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Any set-up will be better than traipsing to Bishop Auckland.

There is car parking taking up a lot of space at the A167 end.

The old Tin Shed at Feethams faced prevailing winds and some low sun, but was by far the most popular stand.

The current side seats should be relocated to a less obstructed location, as they clash with the direct route between the Tin Shed and Bar. I can imagine the aggro there will be with stewards if this route is blocked.

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi, no structure of any type can be built over the water pipe.

As for moving the pitch towards the town, I don't think that is possible either as I think there is a sewerage pipe that runs down that side which also cannot be built over.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:17 pm

There must be a way of putting a structure over the pipeline, even if it's just a temporary structure. Roads and train tracks pass over these pipelines without issue. Normally, when a pipeline meets a road with frequent heavy loads expected, support structure are built over the top half of the pipeline or encasing the pipe entirely. I don't know what costs would be involved in this, presumably the work would need to be carried out by a certified contractor (eg Morrison Utility Services) and signed off by the water company, both of which could be expensive. I'd have thought the only way they would turn this down would be if they were unable to inspect the pipeline with a PIG (which I'd be amazed at) and therefore the pipeline would need to be inspected externally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:06 pm

I don't see the pipeline being a huge problem in getting to a 5,000 capacity ground which is concivably all we would ever need. The infrastructure in that art work would give us a capacity of 3000. That is with no development on the clubhouse or Reg Vardy sides of the ground. Adding a small terrace like the one at Bishop behind the other goal (pushing it to one side to avoid the pipe) would add another 600 or so to capacity. In fact it would be much like the away end at Fleetwood which holds around 700. And that is without any development down the clubhouse side. It strikes me that any money we spend on BM will have to return visible results. Better to invest in building stands than invest in being able to build all around the pitch.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:31 pm

I don't think there is any issue about putting temporary seating or standing over the pipe, the only probem is that temporary seating does not count towards capacity.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:33 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:There must be a way of putting a structure over the pipeline
I agree - in my experience there's always a way of building over anything, by use of lintels, concrete, steel beams or any number of other clever ways.

Perhaps it would make things too expensive, or maybe (as I suspect) there is a watertight :lol: legal clause that simply can't be broken.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:39 am

Did have a thought that the team dugouts could make use of the existing low level seats at the west side as the current changing rooms are there so probably would have to stop people standing pitch-side there anyway.

Let's extend the shelter opposite the clubhouse to run the whole length of the south side of the pitch. Could be a nightmare if the FA decide we can't stand on the grassy knoll! Maybe I will just get a pair of steps and some binoculars and watch from Bland's Corner....

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:25 am

jjljks wrote:Let's extend the shelter opposite the clubhouse to run the whole length of the south side of the pitch.
We can't because of the pipe. It runs through the middle of the other half of the pitch from memory.

The main area for development is that southern corner there is space behind the goal and it could stretch around the corner up to the shelter. How deep would it need to be to house 1,000 people?

The other area is obviously where the existing seats are in the clubhouse. As I understand it they are not included in ground grading as things stand. There has to be some scope to adjust it, increase it and include it.

Finally the other side of the club house is the other area which is free to be developed. I believe the stand at south side is actually two parts. Split it in two, one half goes up far end, other have spins and goes on the goal line then you build a bigger stand there which goes halfway down the pitch.

We know there is nothing behind the stand as things are so we should be able to go backwards.

There are options but it will be adding and moving stuff along the way as and when we can afford it.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:25 am

lo36789 wrote:
jjljks wrote:Let's extend the shelter opposite the clubhouse to run the whole length of the south side of the pitch.
We can't because of the pipe. It runs through the middle of the other half of the pitch from memory.

The main area for development is that southern corner there is space behind the goal and it could stretch around the corner up to the shelter. How deep would it need to be to house 1,000 people?

The other area is obviously where the existing seats are in the clubhouse. As I understand it they are not included in ground grading as things stand. There has to be some scope to adjust it, increase it and include it.

Finally the other side of the club house is the other area which is free to be developed. I believe the stand at south side is actually two parts. Split it in two, one half goes up far end, other have spins and goes on the goal line then you build a bigger stand there which goes halfway down the pitch.

We know there is nothing behind the stand as things are so we should be able to go backwards.

There are options but it will be adding and moving stuff along the way as and when we can afford it.
What?

Could someone draw an impression of where the pipe actually runs on the picture posted earlier?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:08 pm

from what I remember if you imagine a line going from where the 18 yard line meets the goal line to the left of the picture and going through where the centre circle intersects with the halfway line at the near side of the picture.

extend that line either side and that is probably about right.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:22 pm

lo36789 wrote:from what I remember if you imagine a line going from where the 18 yard line meets the goal line to the left of the picture and going through where the centre circle intersects with the halfway line at the near side of the picture.

extend that line either side and that is probably about right.
Yes. There is a manhole just down from the white block on the left hand side, so extend the description back, but it is a good diagonal across quarter of the pitch. This is also the direction that the field drains run parallel to the mains pipe and collector, about 3 metres behind the current lighting columns.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:52 pm

I'm correct in thinking the pipeline goes roughly through half way of the half towards the bypass and cuts across towards the corner behind the opposite end towards the town?

So behind that goal we could only build to roughly the edge of the 6 yard box? I mean I guess that side stand could in future be extended around and include a corner to there... in a sort of L shape... that might add an additional 1,000 seats?

I guess you'd end up with a ground sort of shaped like...

......._____
.....................|
|....................|
|______.........|

I guess I was thinking in the original post that if we move the pitch a little bit, it would at least allow a larger stand behind both goals?

A segregated away end must be a concern though in the immediate future, and will be required this upcoming season.... Even if it doesn't add anything to the capacity, surely moving the temporary stand is worth it for the logistics alone. Also, is there a ruling where a certain number of away fans must receive seats? (I know that exists in the football league, for example?) For the existing plans, I don't know how we possibly fit any decent away following in.... You'd expect the likes of Stockport, Boston, Halifax, FC United, Telford and Kiddy to all bring a few hundred?

Also, isn't the existing plans to add another row to the clubhouse and bring those seats closer to the pitch so they can be used?