BBC Radio Tees

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Gow9900
Team Supported: Darlington

BBC Radio Tees

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Looks like we will be back on BBC Radio Tees more regularly as of next season.....

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/bbc ... gue-clubs/

AndyPark

Re: BBC Radio Tees

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:09 pm

I hope this won't have an impact on the fantastic service DarloFansRadio offer.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:21 pm

At least all our games home and away should be covered, by either DFR or BBC Local Radio. As occasionally due to work commitments away midweek games didn't get covered.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Doesn't that mean we can listen to all the games online as you can tune in to any local radio you want?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:26 pm

The statement doesn't explicitly say commentaries, it just says coverage with access for commentaries if needed.

That could just mean match updates or more interviews with MG and the squad during the week.

Obviously we haven't seen the exact terms of the agreement but the statement doesn't read like there's an obligation to provide commentary on every match.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:41 am

I would guess that if they wanted to do a commentary on a particular game then with Ray's connections to BBC Radio Tees it would more likely be in relationship with Darlo Fans Radio, as they could do for updates throughout the match. Maybe Ray would be their man at the ground - hope so.

Really good news this.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:47 am

lo36789 wrote:Doesn't that mean we can listen to all the games online as you can tune in to any local radio you want?
Chances are that those of us living outside the area will be unable to tune in to BBC Tees "due to contractual reasons" Unquote. :cry:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:41 am

Its a known fact that some people at Tees don't want to cover Darlo. They are more than happy spending 90% of the time talking Boro and the other 10% Pools.
If we do get any coverage it will mean less for Pools, they aren't going to drop any time for Boro are they.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:20 am

We will get a result mention and that's it and if a big game they will want to join in and take the glory... We don't need them do we???? Don't forget they soon dropped us when things went tits up...

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:59 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:We will get a result mention and that's it and if a big game they will want to join in and take the glory... We don't need them do we???? Don't forget they soon dropped us when things went tits up...
Not sure Darlington have much say as it is a league agreement

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:16 pm

RUMPLESTILTSKIN wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Doesn't that mean we can listen to all the games online as you can tune in to any local radio you want?
Chances are that those of us living outside the area will be unable to tune in to BBC Tees "due to contractual reasons" Unquote. :cry:
dfr do the job for exiles outside of the uk. not sure if the scaled down bbc would be able to. Their live sport is banned for listeners outside of the uk, on the internet and DAB radios are restricted to one country.

footifan

Post by footifan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:38 am

spen666 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:We will get a result mention and that's it and if a big game they will want to join in and take the glory... We don't need them do we???? Don't forget they soon dropped us when things went tits up...
Not sure Darlington have much say as it is a league agreement
Whether the club does or does not have a say, the fans do !!!
I will be doing my listening on the Darlo Fans radio thank you, the coverage has been second to non. A wonderful asset to the club especially to expats. :clap:

The more coverage the better for the club surely.

Thank you for caring Spen... :roll:

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:13 pm

footifan wrote:The more coverage the better for the club surely.
Absolutely!
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Yes they dropped us like a hot pile of something unpleasant. Shortly after winning an award for covering our implosion.

I haven't forgotten that, or them treating us the same as any other tin pot NL club during recent seasons. I will be listening to DFR. I hope we all do as their service is a fantastic lifeline to those of us exiled away from home.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:20 pm

Give them a break. If they continued covering us then every tin pot NL club would have been crying favouritism.

What about all the fans that have dropped us like a pile of s**t. Are you going to tell them to f**k off when they rock up at BM or wherever?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:06 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Give them a break. If they continued covering us then every tin pot NL club would have been crying favouritism.
They did anyway! The difference being we have much bigger crowds than your run of the mill TPLNLC.

The BBC made a decision based, to my mind, on us withering away. They were wrong.
Makka Pakka wrote:What about all the fans that have dropped us like a pile of s**t. Are you going to tell them to f**k off when they rock up at BM or wherever?
We haven't lost that many.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:09 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:What about all the fans that have dropped us like a pile of s**t. Are you going to tell them to f**k off when they rock up at BM or wherever?
We haven't lost that many.
Our last season in the Conference (2011/12) the average attendance was 2194, although that was inflated by the large crowds at the Fleetwood and York games (5638 + 6413 respectively).

The season before that (10/11) - 1886. The season before that (09/10) - 1943.

Last season, our average was 1205 (our third lowest in nearly a century).

That's a drop of around a third, so around 600 fans. That's certainly quite a few (That's the lower estimate, given the 11/12 season figure was inflated by those two matches).

Looking at a longer term trend, it's dropped from 5,500 in the 1999/2000 play-off season (so a decrease of 4300 in 16 years).

So to answer your "we haven't lost that many" statement - you're very wrong.

(Attendances taken from this site:http://www.european-football-statistics ... b/darl.htm)

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Of course, the unanswered question is how many of those are simply temporary, and will come back when we return to the town (hopefully we will find out pretty soon!).

On the subject of BBC Tees - yes it was annoying they were quick to drop us (although understandable in some ways). More coverage, in whatever format, on the BBC is a good thing for the club.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:23 pm

MKDarlo wrote: The BBC made a decision based, to my mind, on us withering away. They were wrong.
Another mistruth.

Paul Addison, the sports editor at BBC Tees said repeatedly it was because of the level we'd dropped to, meaning it was hard to justify covering us.

Not just all the other Northern League teams would have cried foul, but what about Whitby, two divisions above? Surely they'd have more justification to be covered more regularly?

And there's the practicality side of things. Most Northern League grounds are fields with pitch markings and an old shed for covered standing. You don't need to be a technical genius to work out it would be difficult to broadcast from these grounds. They're not like league grounds which have some level of media facilities.

Yes you can say we're a bigger club with a bigger audience, but that's only one side of the argument. There were complaints to the Northern Echo when they gave us more coverage than the other Northern League side.

BBC Tees would have been damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

Put simply, I think some people just want to be outraged about something. It appeals to the narrative of Darlington fighting back against all odds.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
MKDarlo wrote: The BBC made a decision based, to my mind, on us withering away. They were wrong.
Another mistruth.

Paul Addison, the sports editor at BBC Tees said repeatedly it was because of the level we'd dropped to, meaning it was hard to justify covering us.

Not just all the other Northern League teams would have cried foul, but what about Whitby, two divisions above? Surely they'd have more justification to be covered more regularly?

And there's the practicality side of things. Most Northern League grounds are fields with pitch markings and an old shed for covered standing. You don't need to be a technical genius to work out it would be difficult to broadcast from these grounds. They're not like league grounds which have some level of media facilities.

Yes you can say we're a bigger club with a bigger audience, but that's only one side of the argument. There were complaints to the Northern Echo when they gave us more coverage than the other Northern League side.

Put simply, I think some people just want to be outraged about something. It appeals to the narrative of Darlington fighting back against all odds.
BBC Cumbria carried (excellent) full match coverage of Workington's playoff semi v Blyth (and I assume the final). We've had nothing like that from Tees over past 4 seasons.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Is that because they only have Carlisle to cover as a league club, and Barrow in the Conference?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Robbie Painter wrote: BBC Cumbria carried (excellent) full match coverage of Workington's playoff semi v Blyth (and I assume the final). We've had nothing like that from Tees over past 4 seasons.
That's separate to the argument I'm making, which is about why they stopped doing commentaries in the first place.

Obviously I'm just a layman so can't argue for Tees on why they haven't done as much in the last four years.

But as I said, that's separate to my original point.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:30 pm

ffs darlogramps talking about people being outraged about something well your one to speak your critical about people regd their opinions,spelling,literature,and pretty much anything you can find fault with.
you fucking prick!!!.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:42 pm

darlodaz wrote:ffs darlogramps talking about people being outraged about something well your one to speak your critical about people regd their opinions,spelling,literature,and pretty much anything you can find fault with.
you fucking prick!!!.
Have you had a tough day dear? Send me a PM if you want to get it all out of your system and then we can get back on topic.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:17 pm

lets not be doing pm not with you anyway.
lets just say im sure we will bump into each other one day.still remember yours and therailwaygrafters comments on an article in the echo although you try and pass it off as someone else. not much chance of two arseholes that share the same name and same sort of comments on both forums is there?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:01 pm

darlodaz wrote:lets not be doing pm not with you anyway.
lets just say im sure we will bump into each other one day.still remember yours and therailwaygrafters comments on an article in the echo although you try and pass it off as someone else. not much chance of two arseholes that share the same name and same sort of comments on both forums is there?
OK, you're a total crank who's more interested in namecalling and making a scene. I've said before, I don't have an account on The Northern Echo's website. Whether you choose to believe that is up to you, but it'd be the strangest thing for me to falsely deny. Either way, I'm going to be blocking you on here. I've got no time for obsessive cranks like you. You're acting like some 12-year-old charva wannabe.

Just a shame you've hijacked this thread with illiterate hysteria in order to pursue your bizarre obsession.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:49 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Another mistruth.

I am not outraged, more sad. After years of good coverage they took an editorial decision, which is their right. I simply think they took the wrong one.