Best Quakers performance ever

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Kentquaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Best Quakers performance ever

Post by Kentquaker » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:54 am

The 1-0 win against Sheffield Wednesday with the Ron Ferguson 40 yard screamer in the League Cup c1976.
Or the 4-0 demolition of Brighton at Priestfield Stadium in the early nineties. Not too sure of the exact dates but in the latter Marco was the star.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:12 am

That Everton game was my first ever at Feethams - stood right in the far corner with my uncle - never been in a crowd of that size before, remember walking round the Cricket ground at the end and thinking how great it was to be at a proper match.

Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Darlington 4 Chelsea 1 (the 3-2 home win over West Ham wasn't bad either)

Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:31 pm

P.S.Of course there was the final of the Durham Senior Professional Challenge Cup, held at Feethams, when we beat the international-filled Sunderland 7-1

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:46 am

Jeff Jones wrote:P.S.Of course there was the final of the Durham Senior Professional Challenge Cup, held at Feethams, when we beat the international-filled Sunderland 7-1
What year was that match played?

Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:12 pm

Sorry Pete, I don't remember. I was but a child at the time (so it was maybe.....)

Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Don Revie was playing. At the end, he was surrounded by about a million of us, all wanting his autograph. He was signing for someone when another fan made an inappropriate comment. He stopped writing...and somebody has "Don R' as their Revie autograph

B_Little

Post by B_Little » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Barnet 0 - 2 Darlington

Has to be the game against Barnet @ Underhill in our Conference title winning season. Barnet were the only team that could pip us the title. Whoever won the game, that day, were odds on, to go on, and get promoted. The boys won 2-0. Defined our season that game.

Up the Darlo

Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:46 pm

Darlo Pete: You'll have seen this.
Bill’s most memorable Darlington game wasn’t in the league or FA Cup, but the Durham Senior Cup.

“We played Sunderland at Feethams, and won 8-1. I scored three, and Ronnie Harbertson scored four. It was a tremendous night. Sunderland had eight first teamers in their side, including players like Don Revie.”

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:53 pm

Barry Conlon's hat trick against Macclesfield on the opening day of the 2006/07 season. I know this thread is supposed to be about performances of the team overall, but Conlon at his best was equal to at least 2 Ruud Van Nistelrooys, 4 Zinedine Zidanes, 4 Fabio Cannavaros and 1 Bobby Mimms. His performance alone raised the average performance of the team to unprecedented levels, the likes of which have never been witnessed since.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:18 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Barry Conlon's hat trick against Macclesfield on the opening day of the 2006/07 season. I know this thread is supposed to be about performances of the team overall, but Conlon at his best was equal to at least 2 Ruud Van Nistelrooys, 4 Zinedine Zidanes, 4 Fabio Cannavaros and 1 Bobby Mimms. His performance alone raised the average performance of the team to unprecedented levels, the likes of which have never been witnessed since.
All hail The Bald Messiah

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Remember playing Cardiff at home on the last game of the season at Feethams, when a win for Cardiff would put them into the play-offs. We were considerably outnumbered by Cardiff fans, but we played brilliantly and won, sending Swansea to the play-offs, which didn't seem to go down too well with the Cardiff fans, who invaded the pitch at the end of the game looking to cause trouble.