Spenny signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Spenny signings

Post by al_quaker » Sat May 28, 2016 4:53 pm

shawry wrote: On the other point, for me there is absolutely no difference between having a larger fanbase and a wealthy owner, the only really relevant factor is the quality of the owner.
Other than a wealthy owner is much more likely to get fed up and withdraw funding - we should know!

For what it's worth, Brad Groves doesn't seem to be one of those types of owners.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat May 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Chandler might well be a better player than Scott or Portas but last season showed us clearly that Turnbull is a different class when he has Scott's muscle and energy along side him. He does that job better that Chandler would. Last season showed us clearly that the balance of the team is critical and I'm not as sure as you guys that Chandler would have been as good a fit.
The player I am most disappointed we don't have out of that lot is Armstrong. I think having him fully fit would be a huge asset to us.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat May 28, 2016 5:34 pm

The only player I would have brought in out of all of them was Ramshaw still young, and I'm sure Gray would have improved him as a player.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 28, 2016 5:37 pm

shawry wrote:I have no idea the extent of their bankrolling; but when I go to their ground there seems to be an awful lot of advertising, while that wont cover it all, it is still probably quite a lot of cash.
So you have no idea whatsoever, basically.
shawry wrote:On the other point, for me there is absolutely no difference between having a larger fanbase and a wealthy owner, the only really relevant factor is the quality of the owner.
I agree to an extent, and I've already said Brad Groves appears to have the club's interests at heart. Having one wealthy owner is a perfectly legitimate business model, so long as they remain committed to the club.

But there is a difference. Having one owner leaves the club at the whim of one individual. If he gets fed up or suddenly leaves (as we've found out) then the club is in trouble.

Fan ownership is not perfect, but it is more sustainable and less prone to sudden, volatile changes than having one person in charge.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat May 28, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 28, 2016 5:42 pm

Curry_LG wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
al_quaker wrote:While Chandler would have improved us, if it's true he (or any other target - there must be at least one based on that Echo interview the other week) was playing us off against Spennymoor to get more money then I'm glad we didn't sign him. We are still in a position where we are very attractive to players, and as such I'd rather players who want to play for us rather than for the biggest pay check.

Now, I'm in no way saying our players aren't well paid - they probably are. I'm also not blaming any player wanting to make as much money as possible. But one of the reasons I think we've had success is the spirit in the squad, with players who seem desperate to play for us.

Spennymoor fans who are desperately trying to say they aren't now massive favourites are making me laugh though.
The funniest Spenny fans are the ones who for no reason bring Darlington up, especially when it comes to finances.

The latest is handifan on NBZ (who's usually quite reasonable). But when told these signings prove Spenny are completely bankrolled, his response is essentially "Yeah, but.... but....but.....Darlo spend a lot too." http://nonleaguezone.com/viewtopic.php? ... 24#p972224

Spenny fans are so sensitive when it comes to talking about their finances.

They don't seem to get there's a difference between raising funds through having a larger fanbase and attendances, to having one wealthy owner pumping hundreds of thousands of pounds into the club.

I'm not saying it's wrong they're totally bankrolled by uncle Brad Groves. I couldn't care less where their money comes from. The people running the club clearly are decent people with its interests at heart.

But it's so weird the majority of their fans have to deny the obvious facts about the extent to which they're bankrolled.
Howay then, Gramps. What are the obvious facts?
They've been discussed at length in this thread and the NBZ thread.

If you need to ask, you're either being deliberately obtuse or moronically dense.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun May 29, 2016 8:44 am

Aside from Reynolds, we've only had wealthy owners who have borrowed money against the club and then walked away - not wealthy owners who have put their own cash in.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun May 29, 2016 10:26 am

Darlogramps wrote:Fan ownership is not perfect, but it is more sustainable and less prone to sudden, volatile changes than having one person in charge.
Ditto!

Perhaps this thread is drifting off topic a little but personally, because of events over the last 20 years, I would hate it if Darlo ever went back to being owned by one man.

All the false dawns, broken promises and deviousness.

We're much better away from all that sort of thing, and there's a great feeling around OUR CLUB at the moment, everyone does their bit, we all pull together.

B.T.W. Good luck to Spennymoor - I hope it works out for them
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun May 29, 2016 8:56 pm

quakerste wrote:The only player I would have brought in out of all of them was Ramshaw still young, and I'm sure Gray would have improved him as a player.
Not quite sure where this apparent intrest in Ramshaw stems from (or Chandler for that matter) Ramshaw in his previous loan spell with us did not exactly pull up any trees .. Gray to my knowledge never made any attempt to extend that deal. Unless there has been a dramatic improvement .. l assume Gray,s intrest is as it was ..

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:02 pm

m62exile wrote:Chandler might well be a better player than Scott or Portas but last season showed us clearly that Turnbull is a different class when he has Scott's muscle and energy along side him. He does that job better that Chandler would. Last season showed us clearly that the balance of the team is critical and I'm not as sure as you guys that Chandler would have been as good a fit.
The player I am most disappointed we don't have out of that lot is Armstrong. I think having him fully fit would be a huge asset to us.
Totally agree 100%, in a way I am pleased MG did not sign Chandler as IMO Portas is a far better option and is more of a goal threat than Jamie.If Chandler had come and was first choice we would probably have risked losing Portas, who with Turnbull and Scott are as good as anything in our league.Just makes me wonder if MG was referring to Chandler a few weeks ago when he said he would not be held to ransom by the demands of potential signings so if this was the case then the correct decision was made to preserve that fantastic team spirit we have.

Similarly not bothered in the least we did not sign Ramshaw, could not see him being better than the lads we already have but got to agree on Armstrong, would love to have kept him.Seems that MG is wanting one final signing, a striker, and would really like a big powerful lad similar to Army.We already have Cartman, Hardy, Amar and Gaskell plus Thommo if need be which you would expect to be sufficient so a bit surprised he is looking to bring in another forward unless someone is leaving.Could be interesting.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun May 29, 2016 9:27 pm

Gray only wants players who want to play for Darlo and he will make them a fair offer. If they are only interested in the pay packet then Gray sharp loses interest. Chandler, from what I understand, was playing us off against Spenny (obviously), York and South Shields. Do we really want that kind of player anyway?
He is also known to use social media to make himself a fans favourite and allegedly some of his ex managers were not happy with aspects of his use of this fans favourite tag.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun May 29, 2016 9:31 pm

Has to be doubts about Gaskell and Amar.Gaz isn't on contract and as far as we know hasn't made his mind up where he's playing next season.Amar is going to be playing 2 levels above where he was in Evo 1 the last time we saw him(apart from a couple of end of season cameos),so will he be up to it? .Replacing Army is a must IMO.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun May 29, 2016 9:34 pm

tezza wrote:
quakerste wrote:The only player I would have brought in out of all of them was Ramshaw still young, and I'm sure Gray would have improved him as a player.
Not quite sure where this apparent intrest in Ramshaw stems from (or Chandler for that matter) Ramshaw in his previous loan spell with us did not exactly pull up any trees .. Gray to my knowledge never made any attempt to extend that deal. Unless there has been a dramatic improvement .. l assume Gray,s intrest is as it was ..
Three man of Match performances in four matches suggests otherwise..From what I saw from those three matches they were well deserved.
On saying that, he is now a Spennymoor player so i'm not really interested.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:56 pm

Emdubya wrote:Replacing Army is a must IMO.
I don't know why we need to desperately replace someone who spent an awful lot of time last season not playing.

Hardy and Cartman will be our main strike force next season.

Gray will want to have 4 strikers. Purewal will be given a chance to prove himself at the level.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:05 pm

lo36789 wrote:
I don't know why we need to desperately replace someone who spent an awful lot of time last season not playing.

Gray will want to have 4 strikers. Purewal will be given a chance to prove himself at the level.
Armstrong started 20 games last season, he also came off the bench 25 times. He scored 13 goals.

Armstrong gave us something none of our strikers could last season, he was an old-fashioned target man that bullied defenders.

Hardy and Cartman won't be our main strike-force, Gray is looking to strengthen up-top.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:08 pm

tezza wrote:
Gateshead wanted him back.

I should imagine that Gray would have liked to have kept Ramshaw in the 13/14 season given we ended up with players like Robinson, Brown and Tait playing in the middle!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:39 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Armstrong started 20 games last season, he also came off the bench 25 times. He scored 13 goals.

Armstrong gave us something none of our strikers could last season, he was an old-fashioned target man that bullied defenders.

Hardy and Cartman won't be our main strike-force, Gray is looking to strengthen up-top.
So he started most of his games on the bench, how many of the games that he started did he finish?

As things stand our strike force is Hardy and Cartman, it was never ever going to be Armstrong + another. In those circumstances I don't see why it is so critical to our success to replace him.

Hardy (22) and Cartman (19) both in top 10 goalscorers for last season. They didn't do that by giving defenders and easy game.

Armstrong was extremely effective based on how we play...ed. I am not expecting quite the same level of direct play from us this season.

The investment in Wearmouth and Nightingale suggests to me there could be a change in style next season. It would not surprise me in the slightest to see us start lining up 4-2-3-1 and aiming to keep the ball more and play through our creative midfielders.

If we give away the ball cheaply next season we will be punished so much more so than the last 4 seasons. In the Northern League we could give the ball away with out much fear at all against like 22 other sides!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon May 30, 2016 9:33 am

lo36789 wrote:So he started most of his games on the bench, how many of the games that he started did he finish?
How many games did any of our strikers finish when they started? The front two were rotated more than any other position. Your argument holds no water.

Plus the fact that Armstrong came back from a life threatening injury appears to escaped your memory, the fact we got so many games out of him earlier in the season speaks volumes for his commitment.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:26 am

lo36789 wrote:
So he started most of his games on the bench, how many of the games that he started did he finish?

As things stand our strike force is Hardy and Cartman, it was never ever going to be Armstrong + another. In those circumstances I don't see why it is so critical to our success to replace him.

Hardy (22) and Cartman (19) both in top 10 goalscorers for last season. They didn't do that by giving defenders and easy game.

Armstrong was extremely effective based on how we play...ed. I am not expecting quite the same level of direct play from us this season.

The investment in Wearmouth and Nightingale suggests to me there could be a change in style next season. It would not surprise me in the slightest to see us start lining up 4-2-3-1 and aiming to keep the ball more and play through our creative midfielders.

If we give away the ball cheaply next season we will be punished so much more so than the last 4 seasons. In the Northern League we could give the ball away with out much fear at all against like 22 other sides!
Armstrong contributed in 45 games where we won the NPL title.

Armstrong brings an abrasive style of play which NONE of our current strike-force can offer, although they do have their other qualities.

Hardy scored 26 goals in 26 games for Buxton, then came to us and had 3 goals in 18 games. Not slating Hardy by all means but your argument seems to revolve around the goals he scored for Buxton rather than us, in our system and style of play.

And then your argument is totally based on a hypothetical situation where we MIGHT change formation, to a one Gray never has played I may add. I see Nightingale as competition for Mitchell and I also see Wearmouth as competition for Thompson on the left.

Gray has also came out in the Echo and has said he is after a striker, despite already having Cartman, Purewal, Hardy and Gaskell (?), 4/5 strikers suggests to me that he is looking to play 2 up top.

Bottom line is, Armstrong needs replacing. An old-fashioned target-man, that brought players into play. He contributed greatly to our success last year (3rd highest goalscorer, 1 behind Gaskell).

richymidd

Post by richymidd » Mon May 30, 2016 11:06 am

I haven't seen all these guys play too much so a view from further afield, which is never a bad thing.

Cartman is the only striker we have who we know will score goals as part of this team - but we're stepping up again and there are a couple of new additions, maybe a slightly different system....

The other three all have pretty significant question marks against them for one reason or another. Maybe we'll coax Buxton form out of Hardy, maybe Amar will just pick up where he left off, maybe Gaskell will.....i don't know....just do something.....sorry, I remain to be convinced!

I don't know why GA went and maybe I don't know enough about football but I really liked him, i think we'll miss him or somebody like him. A bully and hard-man as an option is useful and cartman, hardy and amar between 'em are about 150 kg wet through.....

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 30, 2016 11:33 am

richymidd wrote:I haven't seen all these guys play too much so a view from further afield, which is never a bad thing.

Cartman is the only striker we have who we know will score goals as part of this team - but we're stepping up again and there are a couple of new additions, maybe a slightly different system....

The other three all have pretty significant question marks against them for one reason or another. Maybe we'll coax Buxton form out of Hardy, maybe Amar will just pick up where he left off, maybe Gaskell will.....i don't know....just do something.....sorry, I remain to be convinced!
With respect, Gaskell scored 14 goals last season, so to suggest he hasn't done anything for us is simply wrong. It's actually ludicrous and unfair as well. His form just after he joined was fantastic and helped kickstart our brilliant form from October onwards.
I don't know why GA went and maybe I don't know enough about football but I really liked him, i think we'll miss him or somebody like him. A bully and hard-man as an option is useful and cartman, hardy and amar between 'em are about 150 kg wet through.....
It's strange people do love a good physical striker, in the same way they love someone like Dowson who'd run around a lot. For some reason they stand out more than someone without those attributes.

But ultimately we need goalscorers and Gaskell has shown he can do that. Armstrong said openly he left because he wanted more first team football, and he wasn't guaranteed that next season given how competitive our striking department is.

I admit the jury is still out on Hardy. He showed signs of improvement in the final month of the season, but does need to find the net more regularly. But he joined mid-season, and with a full pre-season behind him, I think we'll see the best of him.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon May 30, 2016 11:37 am

think weve missed a trick here? - maybe we should have a clause in players contracts that we get some sort of "player development fee" if our released players join Spennywood? - that would have paid for something in the new stadium and we could have named it after Brad in honour of his contribution? :lol: :lol:

Anyway , congrats to the Town on getting Chandler - nice to see them signing a player with NO former connections to Darl............... :shock:

richymidd

Post by richymidd » Mon May 30, 2016 12:02 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
richymidd wrote:I haven't seen all these guys play too much so a view from further afield, which is never a bad thing.

With respect, Gaskell scored 14 goals last season, so to suggest he hasn't done anything for us is simply wrong. It's actually ludicrous and unfair as well. His form just after he joined was fantastic and helped kickstart our brilliant form from October onwards.
It's strange people do love a good physical striker, in the same way they love someone like Dowson who'd run around a lot. For some reason they stand out more than someone without those attributes.

But ultimately we need goalscorers and Gaskell has shown he can do that. Armstrong said openly he left because he wanted more first team football, and he wasn't guaranteed that next season given how competitive our striking department is.

I admit the jury is still out on Hardy. He showed signs of improvement in the final month of the season, but does need to find the net more regularly. But he joined mid-season, and with a full pre-season behind him, I think we'll see the best of him.
Yeah, it probably is unfair, i see Gaskell's record, but in the few games i get to see i guess i just saw him not at his best - in that sense, i always saw more end result from Armstrong.

I don't think his style of play is the only way but when you consider cartman, now hardy, amar if he comes good, the option of someone more physical and in your face maybe isn't a bad one to have off the bench or to be able to use against a certain type of defence? And I'm not sure Gaskell is really that and can change that kind of game that an Armstrong can?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:07 pm

Personally not convinced Armstrong was in MGs plans for next season. I suppose my theory is backed up by the fact he left to play football.

Your theory that we want someone to directly replace him is fuelled by reports we want a striker.

Teams promoted from EvoStik Prem do not set the world alight in Conference North. What it takes to get out of that division is not the same as what it takes to perform well in this league.

I'd be concerned if Gray felt we could just do the same again and it will work. If it ain't broke don't fix it but don't try and use a toaster to mow your lawn.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

Like Tommy Wright & Greg Blundell, who some preferred to Pawel Abbott Image

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 30, 2016 3:05 pm

Darlogramps wrote: Armstrong said openly he left because he wanted more first team football, and he wasn't guaranteed that next season given how competitive our striking department is.
Where and when did he say that?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 30, 2016 3:19 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: Armstrong said openly he left because he wanted more first team football, and he wasn't guaranteed that next season given how competitive our striking department is.
Where and when did he say that?
He said it to the club's official mouthpiece Craig Stoddart in the Northern Echo, published May 2nd: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... on_a_high/
“It’s been something I’ve been thinking about for a few months with me not playing through the middle of the season, you don’t feel part of it.

“Martin offered me a new contract, but I didn’t want the emotion of the Whitby game and getting promoted change what I thought was the right decision for me.

“The last month has been unbelievable, but I’d made my mind up. Although I loved playing for the club, I didn’t enjoy sitting watching games. That’s natural, I want to be playing all the time.

“With the players Martin could bring to the club I could potentially be a bit-part player again next year.”

richymidd

Post by richymidd » Mon May 30, 2016 6:34 pm

lo36789 wrote:Personally not convinced Armstrong was in MGs plans for next season. I suppose my theory is backed up by the fact he left to play football.

Your theory that we want someone to directly replace him is fuelled by reports we want a striker.

Teams promoted from EvoStik Prem do not set the world alight in Conference North. What it takes to get out of that division is not the same as what it takes to perform well in this league.

I'd be concerned if Gray felt we could just do the same again and it will work. If it ain't broke don't fix it but don't try and use a toaster to mow your lawn.
:lol:

I'm happy for you and your self-belief - even if it's misplaced you need a little to get anywhere in this world.

Mine isn't a theory, it's just me - and it's certainly not fuelled by reports of anything cos i ain't following anything closely enough to know what's being reported or not. I simply thought that if what others are saying on this thread is true, we might be left with carts, hardy and amar - all great, or potentially great but also all 'ickle (even if they play differently and bring different qualities to the team) and isn't there an argument that says a bit of beef, in the name of balance, might be useful?

I think we probably will be doing mostly the same next year - we'll be playing slightly different styles and rotating the different styles of striker we have. We'll be more restricted in that sense if we have another one more in the mould of the three named above, no?

Tell me more about this toaster/lawn thing?.....i don't get it.....

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Mon May 30, 2016 7:06 pm

does that knob darlogramps slag everyone off even having a go at stoddart now,not to mention the amount of comments he posts on the northern echo site.one day he may just find himself in trouble and i hope to be there and watch it unfold.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:32 pm

richymidd wrote:I'm happy for you and your self-belief - even if it's misplaced you need a little to get anywhere in this world.
comment wasn't actually at you it was at DarloFan97 as he seemed to throw an argument out that Armstrong was crucial to our plans.
richymidd wrote:Tell me more about this toaster/lawn thing?.....i don't get it.....
My point is that our style of play worked in EvoStik Prem. The suggestion above is why would we change if it has worked for us to date (if it's broke don't fix it).

My point is that next season is not EvoStik Prem. What worked for that league may not necessary be the right solution for this league...ie using the wrong tools to do a job.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon May 30, 2016 8:11 pm

darlodaz wrote:does that knob darlogramps slag everyone off even having a go at stoddart now,not to mention the amount of comments he posts on the northern echo site.one day he may just find himself in trouble and i hope to be there and watch it unfold.
Isn't it well beyond your bedtime sonny?