Football League 2019/20

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Beano
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Football League 2019/20

Post by Beano » Tue May 24, 2016 10:36 am

spen666 wrote: A winter break will be no good if bad weather is say in December and games are postponed then, but you have decent weather in January break and can't use that period to catch up on games.

As the weather is unpredictable, the idea of a winter break is a farce. It is only being proposed to the top clubs can fly out to the Far East and play loads of very lucrative friendlies to make more money. The players will not get a break at all.

The idea of a break is to earn more money for top clubs. There is no benefit for fans of clubs at all
A winter break isn't about weather at all, it is about allowing rest at the elite level as the spring/summer calendar is longer and more intense than ever.

The data on injury prevention is very compelling.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue May 24, 2016 11:27 am

Beano wrote:
spen666 wrote: A winter break will be no good if bad weather is say in December and games are postponed then, but you have decent weather in January break and can't use that period to catch up on games.

As the weather is unpredictable, the idea of a winter break is a farce. It is only being proposed to the top clubs can fly out to the Far East and play loads of very lucrative friendlies to make more money. The players will not get a break at all.

The idea of a break is to earn more money for top clubs. There is no benefit for fans of clubs at all
A winter break isn't about weather at all, it is about allowing rest at the elite level as the spring/summer calendar is longer and more intense than ever.

So if its about rest then why do the likes of Man Utd shoot off to the other side of the world on a tiring trip to play a few exhibition matches? Fair enough the matches wont be played at the same intensity as a premier league game but spending best part of two days on a plane isnt exactly fun!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue May 24, 2016 11:41 am

loan_star wrote:
Beano wrote:

So if its about rest then why do the likes of Man Utd shoot off to the other side of the world on a tiring trip to play a few exhibition matches? Fair enough the matches wont be played at the same intensity as a premier league game but spending best part of two days on a plane isnt exactly fun!
Erm....We don't have a winter hreak in this country. So the likes of Man Utd don't do the exhibition matches.
The truth is like spen666 (whether you like him or not) has said.
The same was said in the 80's about players needing rest, then at the end of the season loads of them went over to the US to play throughout the summer, then came back for the start of the following season.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 24, 2016 12:59 pm

I think his point is the clubs have the close season to rest, if it was that important they would use it.

Fact is they don't. I am pretty sure by the time the FA Cup final had been played last season Man City had played Chelsea in New York.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue May 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Oh, I agree entirely on the point he made. I just thought Man Utd was a poor example as they are English and we don't have a break.
Its all about money and the premiershit

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Beano wrote:....

Is what you say really correct or is it spin by the top clubs?

In 1976/1977 season for example. Liverpool won the European Cup, the Football League and were runners up in the FA Cup.

They played 42 league games, 8 FA Cup times (remember they used to be provision for multiple replays), 2 league cup ties ( no byes to 3rd round in those days and 2nd round was 2 legs), 1 game in Charity Shield and 9 in Champions Cup

That is 62 competitive club games.

There was only 1 substitute allowed in those games, so players played 90 minutes every game not the 60 many play these days.

No flights to away league games. No moving games to get extra rest before/ after European Games.

International matches on a Wednesday night with no free saturdays etc.

Liverpool used 18 players that season.

The players played far more minutes than any players do these days.

You can argue the game is harder today, but is it? Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris etc were what players faced then, not the almost contact less sport we now seem to have.

If a winter break was introduced and clubs were banned from playing games abroad during the break, you will find it would rapidly fall out of favour. Like all ideas in the modern game, the driving force is even more money to clubs and players

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue May 24, 2016 5:47 pm

spen666 wrote:
Beano wrote:....

Because of significantly more international football.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Tue May 24, 2016 6:32 pm

If the players need more rest to avoid injuries then the clubs should reduce their training workload, bench them or drop the players more often so they can rest. This will allow more of the squad (hopefully youngsters) to get game time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 24, 2016 7:52 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:If the players need more rest to avoid injuries then the clubs should reduce their training workload, bench them or drop the players more often so they can rest. This will allow more of the squad (hopefully youngsters) to get game time.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation there.

Which club is going to drop senior players (however tired they are) over untried youngsters?

We certainly didn't last season, despite the fact half of our squad were out on their feet in the last few games.

There's just too much at stake(or higher up the pyramid, too much money at stake) for clubs to try playing untried youngsters. Rashford only got a chance at Man Utd because of injuries.

It turn that means the senior players have to play more, even if it tires them out completely.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue May 24, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue May 24, 2016 7:55 pm

My opinion wrote: Erm....We don't have a winter hreak in this country. So the likes of Man Utd don't do the exhibition matches.
But they have in the past, as have other big clubs who claimed their players were overworked.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue May 24, 2016 10:14 pm

loan_star wrote:
My opinion wrote: Erm....We don't have a winter hreak in this country. So the likes of Man Utd don't do the exhibition matches.
But they have in the past, as have other big clubs who claimed their players were overworked.
When have Man Utd or other big clubs gone off to have a winter break and played exhibition games ?.
Yes they play their exhibition games after the season has finished or as pre-season friendles but the point I am making is that they have never played exhibition games during a winter break...
I am actually agreeing with you on that they WOULD do it ...But my point is that no English club has yet

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 25, 2016 7:15 am

My opinion wrote:
loan_star wrote:
When have Man Utd or other big clubs gone off to have a winter break and played exhibition games ?.
Yes they play their exhibition games after the season has finished or as pre-season friendles but the point I am making is that they have never played exhibition games during a winter break...
I am actually agreeing with you on that they WOULD do it ...But my point is that no English club has yet
Of course they haven't, but that's because there has never been a winter break before. :roll:

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 am

Yes, I know...That is the point of all my posts.
Try reading the thread before posting pete

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed May 25, 2016 9:58 am

My opinion wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Ermmm...... haven't you forgotten the year Manure didn't enter the FA Cup and went off to play in some "Tournament" in the US? :roll:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 25, 2016 10:22 am

joejaques wrote:
My opinion wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Ermmm...... haven't you forgotten the year Manure didn't enter the FA Cup and went off to play in some "Tournament" in the US? :roll:
That was slightly different.

It was the World Club Championship which was in Brazil, which they were put forward for because they won the Champions League the season before.

So not really an exhibition tournament (even if it is a pointless money-making racket dreamt up by FIFA).

And to be fair to United, the FA pressured them into it because they wanted South American votes for the 2006 World Cup bid, which we lost anyway).

Not that we were complaining at the time, given we were the main beneficiaries of this. It allowed us to get a Lucky Loser slot into the FA Cup third round, and a trip to Villa to boot.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed May 25, 2016 11:32 am

Darlogramps wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:If the players need more rest to avoid injuries then the clubs should reduce their training workload, bench them or drop the players more often so they can rest. This will allow more of the squad (hopefully youngsters) to get game time.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation there.

Which club is going to drop senior players (however tired they are) over untried youngsters?

We certainly didn't last season, despite the fact half of our squad were out on their feet in the last few games.

There's just too much at stake(or higher up the pyramid, too much money at stake) for clubs to try playing untried youngsters. Rashford only got a chance at Man Utd because of injuries.

It turn that means the senior players have to play more, even if it tires them out completely.
There's no generalisation there at all, if the players need more rest then the clubs should rest them.
If the clubs are willing to risk injuring their players by not resting them for short term gains then the injury risk must not be very high.

You can't compare us last season to Premiership teams. We had a tiny squad with no reserve team, Premiership teams have massive squads who play matches on a regular basis.
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!