Baxter and Curtis

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Beano
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Baxter and Curtis

Post by Beano » Thu May 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote: So who do you pick from Hunter, Burgess & Brown, if Marrs plays at right back? It would be rough on Burgess or Brown if either of them had to give up their place to Hunter.
We lacked that extra squad member in defence last year and, especially if we have a few extra cup games, have plenty of games for all of them.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Beano wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote: So who do you pick from Hunter, Burgess & Brown, if Marrs plays at right back? It would be rough on Burgess or Brown if either of them had to give up their place to Hunter.
We lacked that extra squad member in defence last year and, especially if we have a few extra cup games, have plenty of games for all of them.
I'm not sure how you can say we lacked anything, what with winning the league with over 100 points and all that.

From what I've seen, albeit it very limited, I'd go with Brown and Hunter over Burgess.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 20, 2016 7:55 am

Spyman wrote:
Beano wrote:
I'm not sure how you can say we lacked anything, what with winning the league with over 100 points and all that.

From what I've seen, albeit it very limited, I'd go with Brown and Hunter over Burgess.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That would be very rough justice on Burgess who has just got better and better as the season has gone on. He's also chipped in with plenty of crucial goals as well. I think Gray would have a tough job of picking only 2 out of that 3.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 20, 2016 8:22 am

Lets face it - it will be rough on whoever misses out as all three have been excellent and never let us down.

I'm only basing my judgement on what I've seen, which is very limited.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri May 20, 2016 9:23 am

Spyman wrote:Lets face it - it will be rough on whoever misses out as all three have been excellent and never let us down.

I'm only basing my judgement on what I've seen, which is very limited.
For me Hunter was one of the best defenders in the league last season. Marrs would need to be something special to replace him. Burgess and Brown gel as a partnership. I'd be loath to break them up simply to accommodate Hunter.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:46 am

windyforce4 wrote:Hunter needs to be centre back for his pace IMO.Noticed with Brown and Burgess the lack of pace caught us out a few times last season.Not saying they are bad defenders. Marrs would be an excellent replacement.
The Brown-Burgess partnership:

P: 22
W: 19
D: 2
L: 1

Goals Conceded: 15 (0.68 goals per game compared to 1.10 goals conceded per game before that).

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri May 20, 2016 11:33 am

As mentioned by the players Hunter at RB has been the insurance when Brown/Burgess get caught for pace Hunter has been the one who has bailed them out.

We will see first two games of the season when Hunter is suspended, I do think we will lose something with him out of the team but we also would if we broke up Brown/Burgess.

Interesting dilemma for Gray, I guess Marrs will have to play himself into the back four and has the opening two games plus pre-season.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri May 20, 2016 11:34 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote: For me Hunter was one of the best defenders in the league last season..
If Hunter could sort out his passing then he would play at a much higher level. Thats one area of his game sadly lacking. He gets away with it at centre half but not so much as a full back as quite often he ends up putting it out of play. The rest of his game, as a defender, is spot on though and his pace is invaluable at times.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Burgess and Brown had less than a full season to play together and had a bit of sorting out to do with their similar styles i.e. going up for dead ball kicks and lingering around for seconds.

I think the pair now work well together and they would be first choice to provide stability as the centre backs, until knocks and suspensions come into play.

If the opposition teams are beating us for pace with their attacks Hunter may move back.

Hunter may have to improve in his wide right defensive role, what with new competition for places, but for me he's better than most options we've seen there.

Terry Galbraith may be playing more in midfield next season, with Marrs at left back, but this is only one permutation with the developing squad.

I'm sure MG has the skill to explore & determine what permutations & tactics to play.

With a bigger squad we may hope for better progress in cup competitions.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Fri May 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Neil mate. We are unlikely to see Marrs at LB much if at all. We just signed another LB and its TG's place to lose.

We already have midfielders so can't see Galbraith operating much in midfield either.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Fri May 20, 2016 1:52 pm

Our best pairing at CB was Brown and Burgess. Our best RB was Hunter. If the new guys want to play then they need to be better.

If Marrs is an improvement on Hunter I don't see why we then have to accommodate him at CB?

Early in the season we looked more vulnerable than from when Brown was back at the club and Hunter shifted to RB. I still can't get over how effective Hunter and Glabraith are from full back for us in essentially a 442.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 20, 2016 3:51 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Our best pairing at CB was Brown and Burgess. Our best RB was Hunter. If the new guys want to play then they need to be better.

If Marrs is an improvement on Hunter I don't see why we then have to accommodate him at CB?

Early in the season we looked more vulnerable than from when Brown was back at the club and Hunter shifted to RB. I still can't get over how effective Hunter and Glabraith are from full back for us in essentially a 442.
I may be mis-remembering, but didn't we largely play with Hunter at right back and a White/Burgess central partnership before Brown came back? I know we experimented with Gibbons and Mitchell as make-shift right-backs but from what I remember, it was the White/Burgess pairing that was broken up for Brown to come back as it followed White's red card for pushing the ref in the Marine game.

DC