'MG I won't pay stupid money'

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

'MG I won't pay stupid money'

Post by poppyfield » Thu May 12, 2016 8:53 am

Wonder who these players are? A few spring to mind.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... says_Gray/
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

lo36789

Re: 'MG I won't pay stupid money'

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:29 am

don't particularly remember being linked with any players who are notorious for chasing money.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 12, 2016 12:33 pm

As you go up the leagues, then naturally players expect to be better paid. Also when you see the crowds we get, players are going to be asking for more dosh. Good to see that Gray isn't being rash with the cash and he has a wage structure which he is keeping too. It would also be very unfair on the players that have been with us for years, if we started paying higher wages to a new starter than what they are already getting.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:It would also be very unfair on the players that have been with us for years, if we started paying higher wages to a new starter than what they are already getting.
Yes. Team spirit and togetherness is vital. We never would have got through the end part of last season without it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu May 12, 2016 1:01 pm

I think it must be a reality check for players who have played in leagues above us to think they can get similar wages at Darlo, we need players who are hungry not greedy. Darlo is a big club and we will get bigger, but the finances have 'got' to be right.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu May 12, 2016 3:53 pm

After reading MGs piece ,seems like some think that they can get whatever they want playing for darlo, M.G. calls the shots at Darlington perspective players need to know that.and if they get a chance play for Darlington because they want to not for the money primarily.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 12, 2016 6:14 pm

onewayup wrote:After reading MGs piece ,seems like some think that they can get whatever they want playing for darlo, M.G. calls the shots at Darlington perspective players need to know that.and if they get a chance play for Darlington because they want to not for the money primarily.
We'll pay what we can afford to pay and take the wiser and hungrier players who want to join us to put themselves in the shop window. If they work hard and help us do well next season they'll get more notice taken of them than the season just gone which could result in a nice little earner for the club over the next couple of seasons. If they are holding out for a cushy number as a bench warmer then they really need to stop and take stock of things.

I still think there's a fair few clubs have got to cut their cloth and come down to our level than us spend our way up to theirs. Darlo, Stockport and Halifax all battling for bragging rights 2 steps below the football league... who could have imagined that a decade ago?