Article on Evo-Stik site

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Makka Pakka
Team Supported: Darlington

Article on Evo-Stik site

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue May 10, 2016 9:33 pm

http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/march-ba ... ured-30889

Do we really need this person to tell us to be careful with finances? And referring to us as "1883" twice, someone moonlighting from Non-Brain Zone?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

biccynana

Re: Article on Evo-Stik site

Post by biccynana » Tue May 10, 2016 10:32 pm

Manages to be both badly written and patronising simultaneously. Quite an achievement.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:22 am

How easily offended are you? It's a bit of a nothing article for darlo fans nothing we don't know really but the it's not been posted on the Darlington website.

there are some inaccuracies but whilst we still have the numbers that will persist I think and maybe we just suck it up until that point. Once the numbers go unless people start calling us the team formerly known as 1883 then it is indistinguishable.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed May 11, 2016 8:02 am

At least people are talking about us.

bga

Post by bga » Wed May 11, 2016 10:57 am

I thought it was a quite positive article despite the fact the writer made a number of very obvious statements about the past and the future. What's not to like about it apart from 4 numbers? Regards the headline were we "a successful Football League Club?" :wave:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 11, 2016 11:39 am

It's not too bad an article. Don't like he referred to us as 1883.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed May 11, 2016 11:43 am

read it as us being portrayed in a fairly complimentary manner. clearly written by someone who hasn't delved too deep into the club's culture and history tho.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed May 11, 2016 12:47 pm

I've never quite figured out why that Darlo badge he used (with the black bit at the bottom of the shield) keeps cropping up - I've even got it on a fridge magnet at home, and you can still buy official merchanise with that version of the badge in the club shop...

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/sho ... -babygrow/

Is that an old badge, a mistake, or what?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:It's not too bad an article. Don't like he referred to us as 1883.
From two days ago:
Darlo_Pete wrote:1883 doesn't particularly bother me, of far more importance is what happens on the field.
Ooops :lol:
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed May 11, 2016 1:19 pm

The digits do bother me, not so much that we got stuck with them but because - it's always seemed to me - a decision was made to try and run with it and make the most of it, like some kind of branding, instead of just accepting that we have to have the numbers but quietly ignoring them wherever possible.

I've never quite figured out the reason why we included them in the name of the Supporters Society when the Trust, CIC & Supporters Club amalgamated. I know we got to vote on the trading name (the DFCSG) but I can't recall how the name of the registered company was decided upon.

As we are fast approaching the time when we can apply to ditch the digits (with no guarantee that the FA will let us) I'd like to know whether it's possible to reverse some of these decisions and eradicate the numbers wherever possible.

louemmell

Post by louemmell » Wed May 11, 2016 3:22 pm

I thought it a fair article and he does not use 1883 intentionally to wind folk up.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed May 11, 2016 5:35 pm

louemmell wrote:I thought it a fair article and he does not use 1883 intentionally to wind folk up.
No, I don't think he does - I've seen some who definitely DO, but I think he's writing from a distance and picking up whatever he can from different sources to make up an article, and those digits definitely stick out.

Let's start getting rid of them!

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Wed May 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Weve certaintly had worse written about us. Its just common sense. Inflate too fast and you can go pop.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed May 11, 2016 6:38 pm

Bedroom Journalism.

I didn't read the article, but at least someone thought our club should get a mention of some kind.

The club could publish summary Darlo articles on their website for programme / article compilers to cut, paste and amend. We can then set some of our club's history and planned future straight.

Darlo-Wiki!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 11, 2016 7:47 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:It's not too bad an article. Don't like he referred to us as 1883.
From two days ago:
Darlo_Pete wrote:1883 doesn't particularly bother me, of far more importance is what happens on the field.
Ooops :lol:
I didn't like how he put 1883 by itself, Darlington 1883 would have been ok though.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 12, 2016 7:49 am

Neil Johnson wrote:Bedroom Journalism.

I didn't read the article, but at least someone thought our club should get a mention of some kind.

The club could publish summary Darlo articles on their website for programme / article compilers to cut, paste and amend. We can then set some of our club's history and planned future straight.

Darlo-Wiki!
I was thinking a Darlo Wiki would be a useful thing to have too - if anyone has the time, inclination, and the know-how. I used to edit a Wiki once and hated the syntax they all seem to use... so I have the know-how, but not the other two.

Done properly it would be a great resource but it should really be put on a subdomain of the main site (e.g. http://wiki.darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/) rather than an unofficial project.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 12, 2016 9:09 am

To me it looks like the article has been rattled off with not much thought or effort.

There's nothing wrong with it as such, but it's basic content and 'mind how you go' mantra, is hardly going to impress the well informed Darlo fanatics that frequent this website ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu May 12, 2016 9:15 am

Love how the the article goes on about 'making things a reality the right way' when you have a club like Salford also getting promotion from the division thanks to being bank rolled by a bunch of former premier league footballers with millions sat in the bank.

Wheres the article about them doing things the right way? Nowhere in sight? Thought as much.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu May 12, 2016 9:45 am

Totally different circumstances. They are not reliant on their fans for their funding. Like saying Man City should be ran the same way as Burnley.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu May 12, 2016 10:09 am

I realise that. But why do Salford not get an article about their promotion and a little warning about the perceived ways about they are going about things? Why is the league even writing an article like this? Is it an actual attempt at decent editorial or, as I suspect, a last chance to garner some additional hits / page views before we bugger off into the Conference North?

I'm not a particularly sensitive soul but I found the article ever so slightly patronising. We know we have to be careful, we don't need a warning from the league.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 12, 2016 11:29 am

TFDM wrote:I realise that. But why do Salford not get an article about their promotion and a little warning about the perceived ways about they are going about things? Why is the league even writing an article like this? Is it an actual attempt at decent editorial or, as I suspect, a last chance to garner some additional hits / page views before we bugger off into the Conference North?
I reckon the latter too.

What do you think about the Wiki?

Done properly it would be a great resource for people such as journalists who are knocking end-of-season puff pieces together like this and who want to get right to the heart of the topic (and, basically, get their facts straight).

Be good to keep a record of all our results and achievements in the one place as well.
Join - Shop - Collect

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
TFDM wrote:I realise that. But why do Salford not get an article about their promotion and a little warning about the perceived ways about they are going about things? Why is the league even writing an article like this? Is it an actual attempt at decent editorial or, as I suspect, a last chance to garner some additional hits / page views before we bugger off into the Conference North?
I reckon the latter too.

Done properly it would be a great resource for people such as journalists who are knocking end-of-season puff pieces together like this and who want to get right to the heart of the topic (and, basically, get their facts straight).

Be good to keep a record of all our results and achievements in the one place as well.
A very good idea Mr Tibbs.

Ray Simpson would be the ideal person for the recent history part - as he knows all the details/has them at hand/is a good writer. However, it might be time consuming to create a concise, uncontroversial and accurate piece, because the meltdown situation was very complicated.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu May 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
I reckon the latter too.

I have been quietly working on a database of results. I've done everything since the Northern league season (results, line ups, appearances and scorers). Was working through the historical stuff but its taking time and also its going to cost money to host (not got a great deal of desire to sandle myself with another hosting bill if I'm honest). A wiki sounds like a good idea if you can find people to contribute.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu May 12, 2016 4:24 pm

I'm not a particularly sensitive soul but I found the article ever so slightly patronising. We know we have to be careful, we don't need a warning from the league.
They haven't had our recent financial failings have they, and we've had scares in the last couple of years as well. Don't think the article was written for Darlo fans anyway. Hardly a warning from the League either, just a bloke working for the website needing to meet his target, I suspect.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 12, 2016 5:48 pm

TFDM wrote:
Mr_Tibbs wrote:
I reckon the latter too.

I have been quietly working on a database of results. I've done everything since the Northern league season (results, line ups, appearances and scorers). Was working through the historical stuff but its taking time and also its going to cost money to host (not got a great deal of desire to sandle myself with another hosting bill if I'm honest). A wiki sounds like a good idea if you can find people to contribute.
I know how much time is involved in putting all the information together and maintaining the thing (if, as you say, you can find people willing to do it) and dealing with wiki spam was pretty horrendous time consumer on the last one I was involved with.

If no-one was willing to contribute to it then a well organised blog would be better. We could host it for free on the DFCSG server and just have a re-direct from a subdomain on the official site - we could still call it a "wiki", even if it isn't a traditional one.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Fri May 13, 2016 9:34 am

Neil Johnson wrote:Bedroom Journalism.

I didn't read the article,
pot calling kettle black? ;)

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri May 13, 2016 10:21 am

TFDM wrote:I have been quietly working on a database of results. I've done everything since the Northern league season (results, line ups, appearances and scorers). Was working through the historical stuff but its taking time and also its going to cost money to host (not got a great deal of desire to sandle myself with another hosting bill if I'm honest). A wiki sounds like a good idea if you can find people to contribute.
I have such information in Excel going back to the 1880's (pre-league days is a bit sparse on line-ups) if it's any help.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri May 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
TFDM wrote:I have been quietly working on a database of results. I've done everything since the Northern league season (results, line ups, appearances and scorers). Was working through the historical stuff but its taking time and also its going to cost money to host (not got a great deal of desire to sandle myself with another hosting bill if I'm honest). A wiki sounds like a good idea if you can find people to contribute.
I have such information in Excel going back to the 1880's (pre-league days is a bit sparse on line-ups) if it's any help.
Thanks. Got the actual results and dates etc. Getting them isn't much of a bother as I'm able to use a bit of SQL Server Integration Service magic to mass import the records from a text file.

Its the actual line ups which will take the time. I've done them for the NL season onwards but not hard much of a chance to do the seasons earlier on. Basically its making Frank's purple stats bible electronic.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri May 13, 2016 2:54 pm

I do have the line-ups from said bible in the form of the player names in individual cells for each match. Would be easy to import I would think.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri May 13, 2016 2:56 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:I do have the line-ups from said bible in the form of the player names in individual cells for each match. Would be easy to import I would think.
Mmmmm. I might be able to work with that potentially (I use the word potentially as I did try something similair but ran into a few limitations when attempting to import them into the database I've built).... Will drop you a PM.