lewis nightingale Arran Wearmouth Jordan Watson

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: lewis nightingale Arran Wearmouth Jordan Watson

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 09, 2016 8:55 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:I hope very much they are a success, but let's not make definitive statements without seeing them play in our system.
Who's making definitive statements like?
Onewayup's "Will defo improve the squad" seems fairly definitive to me, like.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon May 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Beano wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Can anything be read into Jordan Watson's statement "I want to help the club win promotion and become a full time pro again" or am I being over-analytical?
That statement caught my attentions, too.
I read as 2 separate aims, but maybe MG has said something to him in the wooing stage.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 09, 2016 8:59 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Maybe they'll improve the squad. Or maybe they won't. We won't know until the season begins.

I hope very much they are a success, but let's not make definitive statements without seeing them play in our system.
Seem decent enough signings but only time will tell, as we know they don't always work especially when they have to push players out of the team to get game time.
Clearly they have something about them otherwise we wouldn’t have signed them.

However Rob Youhill and Paul Robinson were also good players but their moves didn't work out.

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Mon May 09, 2016 10:51 pm

Ive seen lewis play a few times for farsely. Very classy player, good range of passing. When ive seen him he has been more middle of the park and no10

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue May 10, 2016 2:21 am

al_quaker wrote:Nightingale scored 2 nice goals against Spennymoor last season:

https://youtu.be/DPX1vXQQY2U?t=2m19s
2 Great goals against Spenny!

Found these as well... Cracking left foot on him. :thumbup:

https://youtu.be/0fy9boXpBUY?t=7s

https://youtu.be/5IQo1gno8iI?t=48s
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue May 10, 2016 8:20 am

Spyman wrote:So two wingers and a defender? So I'd assume Purewal plays more of a role as a striker to replace Armstrong/Gaskell if he moves on?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I’m not surprised by the extra wide men coming in, I think that’s a position we have been limited (in numbers) this season.

I have often bleated on about Mitchell providing a better balance to the side when he plays but we just didn’t seem to have any option behind him if he needed a rest. So much of our width is demanded from the two full backs who do a great job, but for me pleased to see extra cover out wide coming in.

Though it does sound as though Nightingale is more central, which makes that middle a tough place to get a starting role, Portas, Scott, Turnbull, Nowakowski, Nightingale.

Curry_LG
Team Supported: Spennymoor & Notts County

Post by Curry_LG » Tue May 10, 2016 8:27 am

For me, Nightingale was one of the best players in the Evo Stik NPL1N this past season and absolutely ran the show when Farsley beat us 4-0 on 28th December. Very good signing for you

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 10, 2016 8:35 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
Spyman wrote:So two wingers and a defender? So I'd assume Purewal plays more of a role as a striker to replace Armstrong/Gaskell if he moves on?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I’m not surprised by the extra wide men coming in, I think that’s a position we have been limited (in numbers) this season.

I have often bleated on about Mitchell providing a better balance to the side when he plays but we just didn’t seem to have any option behind him if he needed a rest. So much of our width is demanded from the two full backs who do a great job, but for me pleased to see extra cover out wide coming in.

Though it does sound as though Nightingale is more central, which makes that middle a tough place to get a starting role, Portas, Scott, Turnbull, Nowakowski, Nightingale.
Perhaps Nightingale will be used at times playing just off a loan striker, or tucked in behind the strikers with a trio of Turnbull, Portas and Scott (or one other) behind. Gives an alternative to Thompson at least.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:04 am

Spyman wrote:just off a loan striker
Where do you reckon we'll get him from?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:09 am

From what I can gather Nightingale is a right-sided midfielder, but tends to play in-behind the forwards rather than as an out-an-out winger. Also comfortable on either foot. He was named in the NPL D1N Team of the Year for 2015/2016 and also won Managers Player of the Year and Players' Player of the Year at Farsley Celtic this season. Turned down Halifax and Chorley recently.

Wearmouth can play on either wing in a 4-4-2, and also played on either side for Blyth in a 4-3-3. Very awkward to defend against and is quite tall.

Watson will be competition for Galbraith, as well as offering cover for Burgess and Brown, I should imagine.

Interesting to see that Gray has said more signings to come, including a goalkeeper for competition (Russell?). I would also hope that a centre-midfielder (Chandler/Ramshaw) and striker (Fenwick) are also on the list.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:21 am

bga wrote:In previous seasons I guess three in would have meant three out in the other direction. I know we need a bigger squad with better quality players this year, just hope the playing budget is affordable. It's all gone a bit quiet on the Fans fundraising and what happens next hasn't it? (Maybe this is for another thread) but I would be happier when my cheque has been cashed!
If you look at it, you could say that all of Provett, White, Weldon and Armstrong won't be part of next season's squad;

-Gray is looking to bring in a new goalkeeper so there will be no need for Provett.
-White is 40 now and barely featured over the last 5/6 months. He was also contracted.
-Watson has come in for competition for Galbraith so you could argue that we do not need to call upon Weldon.
-Armstrong has been released.

Regarding the fundraising, we have more than exceeded the target on the DFCSG share issue, and also hit other targets through the DFC500 Club and donations. Any additional funding would have to require re-wording and mean investors would have to re-pledge their money, which is obviously a big risk to take.

It was also communicated that any monies would not be taken until the end of this month/beginning of June, so that is probably why your cheque has not been cashed.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 10, 2016 10:08 am

Darlofan97 wrote:From what I can gather Nightingale is a right-sided midfielder, but tends to play in-behind the forwards rather than as an out-an-out winger. Also comfortable on either foot. He was named in the NPL D1N Team of the Year for 2015/2016 and also won Managers Player of the Year and Players' Player of the Year at Farsley Celtic this season. Turned down Halifax and Chorley recently.

Wearmouth can play on either wing in a 4-4-2, and also played on either side for Blyth in a 4-3-3. Very awkward to defend against and is quite tall.

Watson will be competition for Galbraith, as well as offering cover for Burgess and Brown, I should imagine.

Interesting to see that Gray has said more signings to come, including a goalkeeper for competition (Russell?). I would also hope that a centre-midfielder (Chandler/Ramshaw) and striker (Fenwick) are also on the list.
A good analysis - it's interesting that all three are first teamers who played regularly last season. It does create quite a fierce competition for places. Our squad last season wasn't particularly large but unless Gray is planning a rotation strategy, some are going to miss out.

As for a new keeper, Russell would be the obvious suggestion, but he is transfer listed and has a year left on his contract at Gateshead. He's 33, so potentially has plenty of years left in his career, would he want to drop a division and sit on the bench behind Jameson? I'm completely speculating of course.

The wording of Stoddart's article was interesting - he mentions Nightingale playing for Farsley in the 1-1 draw with us a couple of years ago, and brings up Jameson's mistake. Then two paragraphs later, he mentions Gray is after a new keeper.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but is that a hint Gray has a couple of doubts about Jameson's ability at a higher level?

bga

Post by bga » Tue May 10, 2016 10:11 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
bga wrote:In previous seasons I guess three in would have meant three out in the other direction. I know we need a bigger squad with better quality players this year, just hope the playing budget is affordable. It's all gone a bit quiet on the Fans fundraising and what happens next hasn't it? (Maybe this is for another thread) but I would be happier when my cheque has been cashed!
If you look at it, you could say that all of Provett, White, Weldon and Armstrong won't be part of next season's squad;

-Gray is looking to bring in a new goalkeeper so there will be no need for Provett.
-White is 40 now and barely featured over the last 5/6 months. He was also contracted.
-Watson has come in for competition for Galbraith so you could argue that we do not need to call upon Weldon.
-Armstrong has been released.

Regarding the fundraising, we have more than exceeded the target on the DFCSG share issue, and also hit other targets through the DFC500 Club and donations. Any additional funding would have to require re-wording and mean investors would have to re-pledge their money, which is obviously a big risk to take.

It was also communicated that any monies would not be taken until the end of this month/beginning of June, so that is probably why your cheque has not been cashed.
Thanks for clarifying I had overlooked/forgotten about those dates you highlighted.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue May 10, 2016 10:57 am

3 signings that show good intent by the club.

A welcome change from the olden day DFC only being able to sign remnant day players, that no one else wanted at our level. No big names/egos, just three relatively young lads, who have proven themselves in other teams.

Like any signings we need to see how they can blend in with our current team and maybe provide some extra facets to our play. They may play a supporting role at first, as substitutes, but they all have a chance to take over some first team slots on merit.

I hope for extra goalie and striker signings preseason for cover, but I suppose these may be younger blood recruited not only for next season, but also as long term investments.

There has been speculation about Gaskell leaving. I hope this is not the case, as he is a class act. MG persisted with Nathan Fisher not fitting in for months, but Gaskell has shown his stuff in our colours with hard work, some skillfull assists, and many stunning goals.

Its about time the single year season ticket sales got started, or are there more signings expected soon?

boorman

Post by boorman » Tue May 10, 2016 11:41 am

Jim Provett's doing coaching as well remember (and I'm just speculating, but perhaps he's doing other work for MG's coaching empire outside of DFC), so I'd be surprised if he was moved on. He's just the kind of person you want sitting on the bench because he's not going to complain about it - he's got a living through coaching whether he's playing first team football or not.

If Sam Russell was to come in, I think it'd be more likely that Jameson would step aside.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 10, 2016 12:53 pm

All of the new players gave one of the reasons for joining us, was the magnificent support that we have.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue May 10, 2016 1:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:I hope very much they are a success, but let's not make definitive statements without seeing them play in our system.
Who's making definitive statements like?
Onewayup's "Will defo improve the squad" seems fairly definitive to me, like.
It's impossible to make definitive statements at this point, even if they appear so, as everything said is nothing more than an opinion based on stats, player history, and seeing the signings play previously.

Plus it's a bit of good news so you have to forgive people if they get a little carried away.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue May 10, 2016 1:07 pm

I like the fact that Gray continues to bring in hungry, young players who are excelling in the non-league game. This despite the fact that the only players people keep mentioning are older, ex-league players who are well past their best.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue May 10, 2016 1:44 pm

Yarblockos wrote:I like the fact that Gray continues to bring in hungry, young players who are excelling in the non-league game. This despite the fact that the only players people keep mentioning are older, ex-league players who are well past their best.
Apart from Sam Russell who do you mean?

Also I wouldn't say Gray "continues" to bring in hungry, young players. Most of his recruitment over past 2 years have been proven senior players: Brown, Hardy, Gaskell, Turnbull, Burgess, Nowakowski, Armstrong.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 10, 2016 1:59 pm

boorman wrote:Jim Provett's doing coaching as well remember (and I'm just speculating, but perhaps he's doing other work for MG's coaching empire outside of DFC), so I'd be surprised if he was moved on. He's just the kind of person you want sitting on the bench because he's not going to complain about it - he's got a living through coaching whether he's playing first team football or not.

If Sam Russell was to come in, I think it'd be more likely that Jameson would step aside.
You will most likely be surprised in the summer then.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 10, 2016 2:37 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
boorman wrote:Jim Provett's doing coaching as well remember (and I'm just speculating, but perhaps he's doing other work for MG's coaching empire outside of DFC), so I'd be surprised if he was moved on. He's just the kind of person you want sitting on the bench because he's not going to complain about it - he's got a living through coaching whether he's playing first team football or not.

You will most likely be surprised in the summer then.
I'd also guess that Provett (having an income from coaching) is probably able to be added to a match-day squad at short notice if we were in need of cover.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:All of the new players gave one of the reasons for joining us, was the magnificent support that we have.
Well they are not going to say "it's coz they're paying me an absolute wedge" are they?

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue May 10, 2016 7:29 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:All of the new players gave one of the reasons for joining us, was the magnificent support that we have.
That's because I am magnificent, so thank you new players.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed May 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Looks like I was right to leave all signings to MG, on paper some great players who appear to be coming to the club for all the right reasons and have the potential to progress, not Poolie cast-offs or mercenary foreigners. Interesting that most of them commented on the fans and I hope we can continue to generate the positive vibes which helped us to the title this year. It may be we need more cover in one or two key positions & sufficient talent to enable some squad rotation whilst leaving opportunity for 'blooding' some youngsters if possible. Thanks to those players such as Armstrong, White who may not be pulling on our nice new shirts next season, but as ever, we are only as good as the next match. In God & MG we trust!