Hartlepool Release List

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Hartlepool Release List

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Hartlepool have announced their released list today. Scott Harrison and Scott Fenwick of note.

JE93

Re: Hartlepool Release List

Post by JE93 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Harrison would probably be worth a look. Although Gateshead released long standing CB James Curtis so will be on the look out for one and could be an option for him to stay FT.

Michael Bridges anyone?

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu May 05, 2016 5:13 pm

JE93 wrote:Harrison would probably be worth a look. Although Gateshead released long standing CB James Curtis so will be on the look out for one and could be an option for him to stay FT.

Michael Bridges anyone?
Whenever I come across Michael Bridges' name, I always spend longer than I should thinking about whether or not he did play for Darlo - he did, didn't he? :lol:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 05, 2016 6:15 pm

Henley wrote:
JE93 wrote:Harrison would probably be worth a look. Although Gateshead released long standing CB James Curtis so will be on the look out for one and could be an option for him to stay FT.

Michael Bridges anyone?
Whenever I come across Michael Bridges' name, I always spend longer than I should thinking about whether or not he did play for Darlo - he did, didn't he? :lol:
I think not, however he did play against us, so if you remember him running around at The Arena - that's why ............
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu May 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Some people have mentioned fenwick as a possible signing but I see our forwards as having a bit more footballing class about them. When I've seen fenwick he looks like root 1 football is his game. I think we could do better.

Harrison is a big lad now, good player but would he of the other 2 be happy on the bench

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu May 05, 2016 8:50 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Henley wrote:

Michael Bridges anyone?
I think not, however he did play against us, so if you remember him running around at The Arena - that's why ............
Thank you but I was joking ;) - I know he's not played for Darlo - it was a reflection on how many times he was linked with us (although I genuinely have had to spend a couple of seconds thinking it over each time).

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 05, 2016 10:15 pm

I don't think any released poolie players could add to what we already have. Gray will be looking to bring in players that can add to the squad we already have.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Thu May 05, 2016 11:01 pm

JE93 wrote: Michael Bridges anyone?
What's Paul Connor doing these days? Get walking those dogs!

I hear Stephen Thomas is only two weeks away from full fitness as well.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu May 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Gray will be looking to bring in players that can add to the squad we already have.
Well, I would never of guessed that Pete :wtf: :clap:

davey247

Post by davey247 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:59 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I don't think any released poolie players could add to what we already have.

Do you really think League 2 players would not add anything to our squad going from level 7 to level 6??? I know its a great squad we have at our level, but come on.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Fri May 06, 2016 7:06 am

davey247 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I don't think any released poolie players could add to what we already have.

Do you really think League 2 players would not add anything to our squad going from level 7 to level 6??? I know its a great squad we have at our level, but come on.
Course they will. At least 2 of them.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 06, 2016 7:12 am

davey247 wrote:

If a league 2 level player is being released, then he is perceived as not being good enough for that team. Poolie have not exactly been pulling up trees, so players being released are below the football league standard and probably would be at best average Conference players. We need to be signing players who have the potential to do a good job at Conference level.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong if we did sign any of their players, but I'm not convinced it's the way forward.

Dany Krap

Post by Dany Krap » Fri May 06, 2016 7:26 am

If Scott Harrison is prepared to go from Premier league Sunderland to Conference North part time then Darlo don't want him

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri May 06, 2016 7:45 am

I have no desire to see rafts of changes in personnel. Like Leicester, our team spirit and collective ethic defines us and long may it continue.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Fri May 06, 2016 7:46 am

Beano wrote:I have no desire to see rafts of changes in personnel. Like Leicester, our team spirit and collective ethic defines us and long may it continue.

^^This^^
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:23 am

Beano wrote:I have no desire to see rafts of changes in personnel. Like Leicester, our team spirit and collective ethic defines us and long may it continue.
We have 13/14 players of our current squad contracted for next season. We have also lost Armstrong and possibly White who is now 40. There's 2 players who need to come in and replace them already.

I remember after our Northern League title-winning season we lost 4/5 players (Harrison, Tait, Richardson, Emms, Nicholls).

I also remember us significantly strengthening after our play-off winning season (Burgess, Turnbull, Nowakowski).

Point is I can see a number of players coming in to strengthen us, and maybe a couple to go out.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri May 06, 2016 8:25 am

We have kept the core of the squad each year and added two or three players who have been of excellent quality. I can't see why this would change this year.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri May 06, 2016 8:44 am

Signings of...

Scott Fenwick (Hartlepool) ST
Scott Harrison (Hartlepool) CB
Jamie Chandler (Gateshead) CM
Aaron Wearmouth (Blyth) L/RW

And one we were after a couple of years ago and who looked good in friendlies...

Liam Marrs (Boston) RB

Would all improve the strength of the squad in my opinion. Fuck knows what Darlo_Pete is on about.

Whether we are after any, some, or all of them is another question.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:37 am

Quakerz wrote:Signings of...

Scott Fenwick (Hartlepool) ST
Scott Harrison (Hartlepool) CB
Jamie Chandler (Gateshead) CM
Aaron Wearmouth (Blyth) L/RW

And one we were after a couple of years ago and who looked good in friendlies...

Liam Marrs (Boston) RB

Would all improve the strength of the squad in my opinion. Fuck knows what Darlo_Pete is on about.

Whether we are after any, some, or all of them is another question.
Would not be surprised in the slightest if MG brought all or the majority of those lads in, every one would without doubt improve an already excellent squad of players. Scott Harrison looked a cracking young player back in the conference days and can double up as a striker,Wearmouth caused us big problems in both games against Blyth and takes some knocking off the ball.Chandler we know all about and Fenwick will be a good replacement for Armstrong.

Just have a feeling Gaskell may be released, as Loid Lucan says he had a pretty poor finish to the season and seemed to fall down the pecking order behind Hardy who I think will come good this season.Will be an interesting few weeks and would not be surprised if MG pulls off a signing nobody predicted.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri May 06, 2016 10:55 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Will be an interesting few weeks and would not be surprised if MG pulls off a signing nobody predicted.
:o

Darlo_Pete as new media officer/spokesman ??
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri May 06, 2016 9:19 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
davey247 wrote:

If a league 2 level player is being released, then he is perceived as not being good enough for that team. Poolie have not exactly been pulling up trees, so players being released are below the football league standard and probably would be at best average Conference players. We need to be signing players who have the potential to do a good job at Conference level.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong if we did sign any of their players, but I'm not convinced it's the way forward.
I don't often reply to your posts but by your logic we shouldn't sign chandler as he is an ex conference player which is a worse standard than league 2.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:35 am

by Pete's logic then even Newcastle's release list wouldn't be good enough...

they are being released from a poor premiership side, which basically makes them substandard for championship...so basically not good enough to get promoted from league one and therefore not going to be stand out in league two - and then as he mentions above a player from league two is not going to be be good enough for the conference and as we are in conference north...

Pete logic.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sat May 07, 2016 3:22 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
davey247 wrote:

I don't often reply to your posts but by your logic we shouldn't sign chandler as he is an ex conference player which is a worse standard than league 2.
He doesn't have logic. Just words. Lots of words.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat May 07, 2016 3:28 pm

I suspect MG has had his targets lined up for months, and there may be more signings from South of the Tees than the NE.

Part time players need work, so full timers may not be willing or able to find jobs.

I expect MG and his scouting contacts will have been watching the NE players being mentioned, so I expect CURRENT performances and ability to play in our team will be the criteria, not geographical factors and PAST performances.

Wearmouth may have had an offer, but others in the NE may have not.

MG attempted to bring younger players in last season, so this may be another factor with his targeting of signings.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Sat May 07, 2016 4:03 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:I suspect MG has had his targets lined up for months, and there may be more signings from South of the Tees than the NE.

Part time players need work, so full timers may not be willing or able to find jobs.

I expect MG and his scouting contacts will have been watching the NE players being mentioned, so I expect CURRENT performances and ability to play in our team will be the criteria, not geographical factors and PAST performances.

MG attempted to bring younger players in last season, so this may be another factor with his targeting of signings.
Can someone decode this for me please. :?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat May 07, 2016 4:41 pm

notgnilrad wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:I suspect MG has had his targets lined up for months, and there may be more signings from South of the Tees than the NE.

Can someone decode this for me please. :?

I've been trying, but reading it more doesn't help.

Paragraph 2 - 'Part time players need work, so full timers may not be willing or able to find jobs'................. I just can't understand this at all.

While paragraph 4 - 'Wearmouth may have had an offer, but others in the NE may have not.'........... tickles me as it works very well in reverse, as in, 'Wearmouth may not have had an offer, but others in the NE may have.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 07, 2016 4:44 pm

Just like to point out that I've never said Gaskell had a poor end of season and tailed off. There was a lot of squad rotation going on at that time, particularly among the forwards. I'm a big fan of Gaskell's and I think it was an inspired signing by Gray at the time. His close control, skill and finishing are of the highest order and I think he'll score goals next season at whichever club he is playing for.

I think he probably fancied the idea of a promotion push when he signed for us and felt it was worth the travel hassle for a few months to experience big crowds and a title battle. Maybe it suited him not to operate under a contract but it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't looking for something a bit nearer home for next season and he'll have a queue of admirers waiting in the wings, partcularly if they have a look at our Goal of the Season contenders. His Darlo stint did him and us the power of good.

I suspect that if he goes it won't be because he wasn't offered anything by us but because of the above. If he does go (and everything is pointing that way) , I'd just wish him well and say thanks for some tremendous moments in a Darlo shirt. He clearly enjoyed himself and we got a lot out of it too.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 07, 2016 6:01 pm

If all of our strikers are at top form I rate Gaskell the best. I think his shoulder and hamstring have caused him a lot of trouble