Virgin Trains - this is very poor on their part

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ingleby
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Virgin Trains - this is very poor on their part

Post by Ingleby » Fri May 06, 2016 10:59 am

Off topic. Move. Or better still delete.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Fri May 06, 2016 2:18 pm

lo36789 wrote:but surely this is just supply and demand. Clearly the demand for tickets for her initial journey she bought for was smaller than the demand for the journey she took. Lower demand, same supply (as it was the same train) = cheaper price.
It's not supply and demand, train ticket prices are much more complicated than that! Train companies regularly offer discount tickets between cities for example advanced return from Newcastle to Leeds or Edinburgh being approx the same as to Darlo.

Back when we were in league 2 I bought tickets from Newcastle to Leeds, Leeds to Manchester and Manchester to Rochdale for about 1/2 the price of Darlo to Rochdale on the same trains! It just doesn't make sense.
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Fri May 06, 2016 2:23 pm

Also why are advanced fares discounted so much? They aren't going to cancel the train if demand is low. They aren't going to provide more staff or carriages if demand is high. So knowing the demand in advance is no help to the train companies. There should be a flatter pricing structure.

Also when someone books a seat with their advanced booking the ticket inspector should ensure they sit in the seat they have booked. When people don't sit in the seat they have booked they have in effect taken 2 seats away from other customers. To ensure this happens there shouldn't be 1 ticket for travel and another for advanced seat booking. All this data should be on 1 ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:40 pm

As you say it can be complex but ultimately what they basically have are tickets available at certain prices to and from certain stations. The fact is that tickets from Darlington to Manchester must have all sold but the individual tickets on the legs of the journey you made hadn't sold out (demand for the first one was obviously higher that the smaller legs).

Agree about the sitting on your non booked seat it is a pain.

Is the advanced fair structure not a push to get revenue in early? As you say they aren't going to pay out more on stuff but surely at the point you buy the ticket the money is with the train company and they are earning interest on it at that point?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 06, 2016 6:44 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:Also why are advanced fares discounted so much? They aren't going to cancel the train if demand is low. They aren't going to provide more staff or carriages if demand is high. So knowing the demand in advance is no help to the train companies. There should be a flatter pricing structure.

Also when someone books a seat with their advanced booking the ticket inspector should ensure they sit in the seat they have booked. When people don't sit in the seat they have booked they have in effect taken 2 seats away from other customers. To ensure this happens there shouldn't be 1 ticket for travel and another for advanced seat booking. All this data should be on 1 ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, why are season tickets for football cheaper than paying on the day?

Advance tickets are always fixed single tickets - you are committing to one particular train at a certain time. You are saving money but getting zero flexibility, whereas a standard fare can usually be used on any number of trains running on a certain route.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Fri May 06, 2016 7:45 pm

I think we should fine fans who leave the match early!

Henley

Post by Henley » Fri May 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Darl-Zero wrote:I think we should fine fans who leave the match early!
:lol: :clap:

Effing crazy, isn't it? :crazy:

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat May 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Darl-Zero wrote:I think we should fine fans who leave the match early!

and then charge someone else half price to take their place. :roll:

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sat May 07, 2016 3:15 pm

So long as this thread is still here, it's worth mentioning this for balance:

When travelling South today on a Virgin East Coast Train there were 2 couples travelling separately who had got on with tickets which were only valid on Cross Country Trains. However, the conductor pointed out their mistakes whilst allowing them to continue their journey without paying any extra.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”