replicating feethams?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlodaz
Team Supported: Darlington

replicating feethams?

Post by darlodaz » Tue May 03, 2016 8:56 am

just been looking at some old pictures from feethams and then looked at new plans for b/m.would it not be possible to put the same terracing that ran up both sides of the tin shed and meeting up with the stands on either side of the ground.would be nice to create a bit of feethams providing we are allowed with plans, restraints, cash and the rugby club of course.also as suggested by someone else on here maybe in time our old style twin towers being replicated.
last but not least i remember a wall down at feethams with names on it at a cost of course is that at all a possibility in future when we do have to build a wall for some kind of structure which will give some fans that want to have their own little bit of a memento to our return and help towards our move home.[just my ideas ]

onewayup

Re: replicating feethams?

Post by onewayup » Tue May 03, 2016 10:13 am

Lots of names on bricks at the arena belonging to dfc fans ,from a fund raiser a few years back.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue May 03, 2016 10:16 am

Who's going to be first to ask "Can I have my brick back please?" :roll:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:22 am

Was the brick wall at Feethams a fundraiser for the stand? Was it even worth it for the overall cost of the stand. As for the arena am I right in thinking that they were the same bricks which were taken across?

The bricks don't physically belong to the fans. The bricks are the property of the football club well and now the rugby club. Fans simply paid to have their name put on those bricks.

Think it's a good fundraiser to have in the back pocket, the routes the club and DFCSG have gone down so far have been effective enough for now.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 03, 2016 1:32 pm

joejaques wrote:Who's going to be first to ask "Can I have my brick back please?" :roll:

That would be me.

After the wall got taken down at Feethams it became clear that most of the surviving bricks with names on had been taken and dumped (I mean stored) at The Arena.

The Feethams bricks cost £25 back in about 1998 and I was keen on getting my Son's one back - so after much asking and getting fobbed off, the very nice lady who used to work behind reception at The Arena managed to dig mine out, and it now sits beneath my phone.

But don't confuse the Feetham's bricks with the ones that were stuck onto a wall at The Arena, near Bar 66. The Feethams bricks were proper bricks, whilst The Arena ones were 'brick slips' i.e. pretend bricks.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:58 pm

how many bricks were made back in 1998?

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue May 03, 2016 2:11 pm

maybe if this had been used as a little fundraiser prior to the new tin shed being rebuilt these bricks could have been used towards the back wall facing inwards that the metal part of the shed sits on.would imagine there would have been a fair amount of interest in this knowing what memories the tin shed holds for a lot of fans.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 03, 2016 2:20 pm

lo36789 wrote:how many bricks were made back in 1998?

This is a guess based on a memory of nearly 20 years ago, but I remember two bits of walling. Each wall had 2 panels of named bricks built into them, front and back. Maybe 40 bricks a panel X 8 = 300ish.

I could well be wrong, and over cooked these numbers - I'm sure someone will have a photo.

Perhaps we could ask Spen ?

PS, some of the old named bricks will be damaged, with chips and suchlike. This would mean that working with them again could well end up looking scruffy.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed May 04, 2016 1:10 pm

One thing worth replicating could be the 'twin towers'? Reminiscent of the old Wembley as well as Feethams.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Wed May 04, 2016 3:09 pm

which could be supplemented with the brick idea using the pay for your name bricks for the columns.if im right did we not have a sponsor above the entry/exit? this would be a decent sponsor location for any potential sponsor of blackwell meadows.obviously this could be a thing for the future if both clubs were/wanted to use the idea .

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Why should we live in the past, we are getting steel work from the tin shed. Lets move on into a new era lets be a new modern fan owned club.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Nowt wrong with taking a small bit of heritage with us...

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 04, 2016 5:16 pm

I like the Twin Towers idea - because as Bob Marley sung "If you know your history/Then you would know where you coming from"

However, they would need to be placed properly, not just stuck somewhere daft for the sake of it.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:14 pm

Lets focus on fundraising for important capacity and infrastructure developments. When we have a 5,000 capacity ground with at least 1,000 seats and all the relevant entrances and exits, floodlights, toilet facilities etc. The we can start talk of rebuilding the Feethams twin towers.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu May 05, 2016 12:18 pm

JE93 wrote:Lets focus on fundraising for important capacity and infrastructure developments. When we have a 5,000 capacity ground with at least 1,000 seats and all the relevant entrances and exits, floodlights, toilet facilities etc. The we can start talk of rebuilding the Feethams twin towers.
The Twin Towers can wait untl we reach the Football League, as there are far more pressing needs that take priority.
If Martin Gray keeps going on at this pace though, we may want a statue of him!

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Thu May 05, 2016 12:20 pm

JE93 wrote:Lets focus on fundraising for important capacity and infrastructure developments. When we have a 5,000 capacity ground with at least 1,000 seats and all the relevant entrances and exits, floodlights, toilet facilities etc. The we can start talk of rebuilding the Feethams twin towers.

In Utopia we would find a local (including Northallerton area) builder to sponsor the twin towers and they could be called something like 'The GTThompson Twin Towers'.

No cost to the club and a lucky builder would have his name attached to the club for years to come...

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

liamsears

Post by liamsears » Thu May 05, 2016 6:42 pm

I always find these threads amusing. I would imagine that as we are only tenants not owners of BM then any changes to the ground would need to be agreed with the owners of BM. While new stands and terracing may not raise any objections within DRFC, trying to recreate Feetham might get a different reaction.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu May 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Feethams was great as it was what it was. Real, not pretentious, and built to do job that was required. Trying to build a shrine or Disneyland replica would be tragic, sad and a waste of money.

Has anyone seen the rebuilt twin towers at Feethams? They look terrible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!