Graeme Armstrong leaving the club

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Graeme Armstrong leaving the club

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 01, 2016 8:46 pm

Craig09

Re: Graeme Armstrong leaving the club

Post by Craig09 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:53 pm

I was a massive fan of army il be sad to see him leave

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun May 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Sad to see him leave, gave us something different to the rest of the strikers we have on the books. Two seasons two promotions quite an impressive feat.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leading Spennymoors forward line next season.

Good luck for the future Army.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Not a huge surprise, but is still sad to see it confirmed. A great player, who has contributed massively to 2 promotions. Wherever he ends up next will have a superb player.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 01, 2016 8:59 pm

See if Spenny come in for him again, I am assuming after trying earlier in the season they will again.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun May 01, 2016 9:05 pm

al_quaker wrote:Not a huge surprise
No, not a surprise - however he certainly went out on a high :clap:

Blyth/S'moor or at an outside bet, retirement ?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun May 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Well its a surprise to me, I will be sorry to see him go, but that bullet header at Whitby is a great way to remember him by, thank you Graham Armstrong.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun May 01, 2016 9:19 pm

I suppose it's the nature of football, things move on after a while and new players come in to replace our favourites. Always be part of the Darlo family and our journey back

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 01, 2016 9:23 pm

Big shame but I had a feeling that if any forward were to leave, it would be him. I would put my mortgage on him now turning up at Spennymoor.

Fortunately up front is one area we're fairly well stocked although I can see Gray adding another striker at some point. Armstrong was the only natural targetman in the striking department, although he brought more than just physical presence of course.

With a full pre-season behind him, Hardy will probably be pushing for first choice and obviously Purewal is back in the frame.

May not be the only departure either. Rumour is Gateshead are in for Galbraith.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon May 02, 2016 12:26 am

Been on the cards for some time now, I understand he's been strongly linked with South Shields.

Best for both parties imo with Cartman, Gaskell, Hardy and Amar in the mix first team chances will be limited with us.

All the best to him wherever he goes next, thanks for two fantastic years Graeme!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon May 02, 2016 7:40 am

I would be surprised if he didn't end up in the northern league. He's mentioned travelling as an issue so spenny or Blyth wouldn't be too much different to us

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon May 02, 2016 8:14 am

All the best wherever you go Graeme. Thanks for everything. Just don't come back and score a winner against us. :roll:

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon May 02, 2016 8:26 am

If he does end up in the Northern league he is going to be an absolute superstar.Crying shame he is leaving as he is certainly capable of playing at next seasons level.Every success to him wherever he ends up and thanks a million for the last two seasons.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Mon May 02, 2016 8:29 am

shame to see him go, strange that he decided to turn us down though, maybe he just prefers playing at the standard he was at this year, I think our turnover of players is going to be a lot higher in the next few years because although the players have done magnificent so far theres a limit as to how far up they can go

DemEng1

Post by DemEng1 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am

When you consider the injury he had in the playoff final and he started the season when he could not have been fully fit and to end it with the performance at Whitby, legend!

DemEng1

Post by DemEng1 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:45 am

When you consider the injury he had in the playoff final and he started the season when he could not have been fully fit and to end it with the performance at Whitby, legend!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon May 02, 2016 8:59 am

It seems a bit of a strange one to me. He was interviewed on stage in the Market Square celebration on Friday and, to be honest, I came away thinking he was committed to the cause for next season despite feeling before then that he might move on. He was talking really positively about the new challenges and how "We'll have to kick on" etc. There didn't seem to be anything other than he was looking forward to it. Maybe he's had another think about the travelling and that at 33 he wants to be starting week in, week out and not spending a fair bit of time on the bench. I don't know but good luck to him. He's been a great player for us and to come back so well from such a serious injury speaks volumes about his character, bravery and determination.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 02, 2016 9:11 am

No one has mentioned Bishop Auckland yet, so - Bishop Auckland?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 02, 2016 9:32 am

Very sad news, but also understandable. Recently he hasn't been an automatic on the first team sheet. hope he has the same success wherever he ends up as he had at Darlo.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:58 am

LoidLucan wrote:It seems a bit of a strange one to me. He was interviewed on stage in the Market Square celebration on Friday and, to be honest, I came away thinking he was committed to the cause for next season despite feeling before then that he might move on. He was talking really positively about the new challenges and how "We'll have to kick on" etc. There didn't seem to be anything other than he was looking forward to it. Maybe he's had another think about the travelling and that at 33 he wants to be starting week in, week out and not spending a fair bit of time on the bench. I don't know but good luck to him. He's been a great player for us and to come back so well from such a serious injury speaks volumes about his character, bravery and determination.
To be fair, Armstrong was put on the spot massively as he was asked about his preparations for pre-season. It was a diplomatic answer, as he couldn't really say he was leaving!

Being totally honest I came away from the event with the thought he was leaving. He described it as being as a great pleasure playing for the club, and it looked like he waved goodbye at the end.

Totally understandable to see him move on. He's been on the bench alot this season and only really started a run of games towards the back-end where he scored some important goals. At this stage of his career I just think he wants to play games and win another medal, which makes me think he will end up at Spennymoor.

Over to Gray now to bring in another forward, as Armstrong offered us a more different approach.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon May 02, 2016 10:04 am

Well we have been linked with Scott Fenwick so maybe that is an option now that God is leaving.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon May 02, 2016 11:02 am

Totally understandable to see him move on. He's been on the bench alot this season and only really started a run of games towards the back-end where he scored some important goals. At this stage of his career I just think he wants to play games and win another medal, which makes me think he will end up at Spennymoor.quote.

Don't want to piss on Spennys chips after their great season but what I saw on Saturday isn't going to win any medals next season unless they get a few more than Army in.

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon May 02, 2016 11:06 am

Whilst a sad moment, it makes sense for both parties. I'm glad we are able to part on good terms with medals in hand.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:12 am

Big loss for us. But wish him all the best wherever he goes next. Certainly a great striker and one who has been integral to our last two promotions.

He will need replacing. We don't have another forward who plays like he does and he gives us a great option. If you want to know what I'm talking about watch his goal in the Playoff semi's vs Spennymoor last season. All about power and desire to get his head on the ball. People have been saying there may be a bit of an exodus from Gateshead this season. With that in mind I'd definitely be interested in John Shaw if he became available, could be an ideal replacement.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 02, 2016 11:46 am

JE93 wrote:Big loss for us. But wish him all the best wherever he goes next. Certainly a great striker and one who has been integral to our last two promotions.

He will need replacing. We don't have another forward who plays like he does and he gives us a great option. If you want to know what I'm talking about watch his goal in the Playoff semi's vs Spennymoor last season. All about power and desire to get his head on the ball. People have been saying there may be a bit of an exodus from Gateshead this season. With that in mind I'd definitely be interested in John Shaw if he became available, could be an ideal replacement.
Trust me - Shaw is finished. He's not been the same since leaving Gateshead first time around.

I think he's scored something like five goals in 18 months. He's almost certain to be released by Gateshead and I just don't see his career heading anywhere other than downwards.

Yes we're below Gateshead in the pyramid, but we have aspirations of heading upwards. He won't get us there.

If Gray wanted someone in as a back-up, then perhaps. But he wouldn't be a first choice striker for us and I do not believe he'd be an upgrade on Armstrong.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon May 02, 2016 11:49 am

A real shame, played well despite being patently unfit at the start of the season after his horrific injury.
Last couple of months of the season I thought he was our most important striker. He's the only one we have that plays like an out and out old fashioned centre forward. The others we have are all great players but none play in the same style as #GFA

darlodave1974

Post by darlodave1974 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Will never forget his performance at Whitby, absolutely top class. Never gave less than his all for the club, good luck and thank you Graeme

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Mon May 02, 2016 3:55 pm

A real shame to see Army leave. For him to come back from that horrible injury and provide us with the performances he has is nothing short of exceptional. I'll never forget his hat-trick at Whitby, that'll live long in the memory!

All the best Army, wherever you end up. A proper genuine bloke.
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

bga

Post by bga » Mon May 02, 2016 5:36 pm

quakerste wrote:Sad to see him leave, gave us something different to the rest of the strikers we have on the books. Two seasons two promotions quite an impressive feat.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leading Spennymoors forward line next season.

Good luck for the future Army.
Agree he offered us something different. Whilst statistics can be mis-leading, the important thing for me is that in 18 league starts for us he scored 13, far better than any of the other strikers. I think he will be a great loss. I doubt Purewal will be as productive as this, and he has still to prove he is over his serious injury. I hope I am proved wrong however!

Thanks for everything Army and good luck.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon May 02, 2016 6:24 pm

You never know he might do a Gary Brown and come back :D :clap:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg