One for the statisticians

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Feethams 1966
Team Supported: Darlington

One for the statisticians

Post by Feethams 1966 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:20 pm

I went in to a gift shop on the south coast harbourside at Dartmouth last week; it was selling football regalia and I happened across a range of mugs and keyrings filed alphabetically.
Naturally I looked under "D" and was surprised & delighted to find a really attractive mug and a keyring. The mug displays good quality copies of two DFC programmes on it, the first is Darlington v Crewe Alex on Monday 20th November (season 67/68) and the second is Darlington v Fulham which is described as a friendly match on Monday 7th March 1983 (kick off 7.30).
March seems a curious month for a friendly match, and I guess the 67/68 season was the one where we'd won promotion to the 3rd Division but went straight back down again. I suspect I may have been at one or both matches.
Can anyone give me any information about the teams and results for those games?

PS The lady behind the counter said she'd sold Darlo memorobilia before; the only club she hadn't sold anything for was Accrington.

Vodka_Vic

Re: One for the statisticians

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:03 pm

Fulham was my first ever Darlington game. Can't remember the score, but we had a number of friendlies that year to celebrate our Centenary. We also played Forest. I think that we organised the Forest game through Cloughie, and I believe Malcolm MacDonald was Fulham manager, and he was our contact for the Fulham match.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

The match against Crewe on that date was postponed!
It was played on 1st April 1968 and was a 0-0 draw in front of 3,378.
Team: Moor, Peverall, Keeble, Atkinson, Albeson, Jaques, Neal, Sproates, Lawton, O'Neil, Kirk.
I have the programmes for both games.

I also have the Fulham programme but I don't know the score or team being a friendly.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

derbyshire exile

Post by derbyshire exile » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:48 pm

1983 was also the year of my first games watching Darlo . Centenary/keep us going games were organised. I think more, keep us going! Went with my Dad to the Forest game and also Southampton with Keegan playing.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:41 pm

The Southampton game was my first ever football match that my Dad took me too. Been hooked/stuck with Darlo ever since :) Thanks Dad!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:52 pm

Magical Quakers wrote:The Southampton game was my first ever football match that my Dad took me too. Been hooked/stuck with Darlo ever since :) Thanks Dad!
Same here. I think the Southampton game was a year before the centenary, and was a fundraiser to help raise the £50,000 we needed to avoid being wound up. Speedie scored a hat-trick I think.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Wasn't Laurie McMenemy the manager of Southampton at that time?

theoriginalcount

Post by theoriginalcount » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:01 am

There used to be a signed photo of Kevin Keegan in his Southampton strip playing against Darlo in that friendly/fund raiser, in the Fleece Inn in Northallerton. The former landlords took it with them when they left but as it turns out, I'm still in touch with them so I shall ask if it's still kicking around somewhere!

I thought it was 1982 and my good friend and former Darlington FC (and Middlesbrough) Secretary Dave Thorne was the chief protagonist for the fund raising which was going on around that time.

Sadly Dave died a few years back at a fairly young age but never forget the time he asked us all to walk from Northallerton to Feethams to raise money for the club, which many of us did in one of the very early 'Save The Quakers' campaigns!

Don't forget to get to the Fleece tonight for the appearance of the Trophy with Brian Atkinson and a couple of the lads. Starts 8pm.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:50 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Wasn't Laurie McMenemy the manager of Southampton at that time?
He was. Southampton played at Sunderland on the Saturday and at Darlington on the Sunday. I believe Darlo also played on the Saturday.

George Courtney refereed the game, which was proceeded by a womens FA Cup Semi (I think) final between Cleveland Ladies and ......someone else

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Sun May 07, 2023 10:09 pm

I think I know which gift shop you went in to. About 5 years ago I also went in to a gift shop near Dartmouth harbour and came out with the same Darlo mug and keyring. Soon afterwards I left my car keys with Darlo keyring attached with my local garage while it was in for repairs and when I collected the vehicle I had a new friend on the staff who was an avid Darlo supporter.
Now whenever I take the car in for servicing the first thing we discuss is Darlington's current performance.
I was quite surprised to see the original post in this thread.