Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

The Quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Signings

Post by The Quaker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:11 pm

Just watched grays interview after yesterdays game with him saying couple of big signings coming in next week or two hopefully jamie chandler being one of them.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Spyman

Re: Signings

Post by Spyman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Did he say he hopes Chandler is one of them? Or is that what you are hoping?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

The Quaker

Post by The Quaker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Sorry i hope he is all ways gave 100%

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:38 pm

If I had to put a bet on would bet that Chandler will sign for us, South Shields interested but that's one hell of a drop to Northern League Div 1 from National Div.

Seems very similar to Turnbull last season, Chandler won't be daft and would probably speak to Turnbull.

Pretty confident Chandler will be a done deal.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:35 pm

It's obvious he's got players signed up, and very excited that he's used the word 'big'. Typical Gray as well, watching some NL North games this week to gauge the quality of player. That's one of the reasons he's such a good manager, he never stops building for the future.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:37 pm

I'll be amazed if we haven't approached Chandler (and of course, Brian Atkinson is following him on twitter...!). I'm sure we will have plenty of competition from him, but I'm sure we will be one of his more attractive options.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Wearmouth comes in - I think he was out of contract in the summer, and I'd guess we will still have an interest in him.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Chandler just started following Brian Atkinson Deal done

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:43 pm

al_quaker wrote:I'll be amazed if we haven't approached Chandler (and of course, Brian Atkinson is following him on twitter...!). I'm sure we will have plenty of competition from him, but I'm sure we will be one of his more attractive options.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Wearmouth comes in - I think he was out of contract in the summer, and I'd guess we will still have an interest in him.
Do you not think Wearmouth's signing will depend on whether Blyth get promoted or not?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Probably not Pete, as players are prepared to drop down to play for an up and coming side like us. If they go up, he will be in the same league.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Probably not Pete, as players are prepared to drop down to play for an up and coming side like us. If they go up, he will be in the same league.
Don't get your logic Vic? The only scenario where he would be 'dropping down' is if Blyth fail in the playoffs and he chooses to stay put.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:31 pm

My point was that that this is a club that players want to play for, and the dropping down was not Wearmouth that I was talking about, it was players like Portas and Turnbull, as an example that players want to come to us. Therefore which division he is in will probably not make a difference if other signings are anything to go by

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:12 pm

I don't know much about Wearmouth, I assume he will play a big part in Blyths play off games so it will a good chance to see what he like, and what type of player he is. I watched both our games against Blyth and I cant say he stould out, but then again I was watching Darlo :)
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:36 pm

I'd still love to see Sam Russell back. I'd see that as a big signing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:45 pm

We had the Sam Russell debate last season, and the general consensus was even if it was on the cards it might be detrimental in the long term because we'd probably lose Jameson who could be our keeper for years to come. I still think this to be the case, but we do need some serious competition for him. This season there have been times when he's been questionable. Another option would keep him focused.

Having said that, a season or two in Russell's shadow learning the trade would pay dividends for all involved.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:58 pm

Personally I think that Jameson is quite underrated. Best defensive record last season and 2nd best this season so you have to give him some credit for that.

Yes you could argue that he could command his area better and sometimes his kicking can be wayward, but that will come with experience and confidence. I think people forgot that he is only 23 and goalkeepers don't tend to peak until late 20's/early 30's.

If we can improve in that position then great, if not then I'd have no problems with starting with Jameson next season. A very good goalkeeper that is only going to get better and better.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:32 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Personally I think that Jameson is quite underrated. Best defensive record last season and 2nd best this season so you have to give him some credit for that.

Yes you could argue that he could command his area better and sometimes his kicking can be wayward, but that will come with experience and confidence. I think people forgot that he is only 23 and goalkeepers don't tend to peak until late 20's/early 30's.

If we can improve in that position then great, if not then I'd have no problems with starting with Jameson next season. A very good goalkeeper that is only going to get better and better.
Totally agree....

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:53 am

I read last week that Russell is one of only 3 players under contract for next season at Gateshead (Bowman being one of the others).

Jameson has been excellent this season, top keeper.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:19 am

Scott Fenwick, chandler , wear mouth coming this week.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:01 am

I love Chandler, a fine player - but he'll have to work hard to improve our midfield. Put simply, either we reshape it or he'll have to show he can win the ball better then Scott does.

I'm sure many people will think it's a no-brainer that Chandler would start - but it's the balance of Scott as a ball winner and Turnbull as the ball player that has worked so well this season.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:09 am

Yes but we'll need a stronger squad all round and adding Chandler to the mix just gives us more options.

I'm not playing down Jameson's ability at all, and I've not seen Russell play for a couple of years, but Russell at close to his best (thinking back to the Conference seasons) > Jameson.

DC

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:18 am

I am sorry but chandler was one of the first to jump ship, I hope we don't sign him now he has been given the boot by Gateshead

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:41 am

sada8022 wrote:I am sorry but chandler was one of the first to jump ship, I hope we don't sign him now he has been given the boot by Gateshead
Are you serious? How can you expect someone who has bills to pay to stay at a club that can't pay your wages and won't for the foreseeable future? He made the correct decision.

Secondly he's an excellent player and would add serious quality to our midfield next season if we bring him in.
Craig Liddle is God!!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:58 am

sada8022 wrote:I am sorry but chandler was one of the first to jump ship, I hope we don't sign him now he has been given the boot by Gateshead
I could be wrong but I think Chandler was one of the players who waived a larger amount of unpaid wages in favour of a smaller up-front payment. Helping the club no-end.

People have different circumstances, and you do think about what you would have done if your employer stopped paying your wages....

It also must have been a difficult working environment when certain players we being paid a higher % of wages than others.

Any criticism of Chandler is unjust, so is criticism of any other employees who left during that period.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:06 am

Chandler was sold by the administrator, along with Hatch. He didn't jump ship at all, that's complete nonsense.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:23 am

I'm not aware that Jamie Chandler has been 'given the boot'. I'm sure that I read that he made a similar decision to Phil Turnbull to swap full-time for part-time football and to pursue alternative employment.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:16 pm

You might as well add in that Hartlepool are appearing in the Champions League final this year, just to finish this of as being one the most factually incorrect statement ever.

a) Was pushed rather than jumped. We sold him to Gateshead and reduced our liability from what I remember.
b) Has not been given the boot. He asked Gateshead to release him from his contract because an opportunity has come up with his coaching which he doesn't want to pass up.
m62exile wrote:he'll have to show he can win the ball better then Scott does.
This is the thing I remember Chandler as the players who was constantly winning the ball back, and that was at conference level. I'd expect Chandler and Turnbull to be almost an identical relationship but Chandler to be an upgrade on Scott.

It's a shame as Scott has been so good this season, when I saw him earlier on he looked a bit lost and like the game was passing him by (Blyth (H) particularly memorable when he came on as sub. Since then he has been so crucial to our success...it's just I expect someone like Chandler to be better equipped for NLN than Scott.
Last edited by lo36789 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:47 pm

roadrunner wrote:Scott Fenwick, chandler , wear mouth coming this week.
Why would fenwick come? Sure he could play conference footy at someone like York.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Not denigrating how much Scott did for us this season, but anyone who doesn't think Chandler would be an upgrade can't have watched much football. Chandler partnered Turnbull at Gateshead, did he not, quite successfully. He stood out for us at that level too. Would still be playing Conference level, but for personal decision regarding his future.

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:11 pm

Chandlers recent leaving interview for Gateshead shows that he has ambitions in football. He stated there there are big clubs in the north east who want to get to where Gateshead are. That can only be us surely.

Interesting to note that he had some full time opportunities as well which he is mulling over

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:25 pm

love it! wrote:Chandlers recent leaving interview for Gateshead shows that he has ambitions in football. He stated there there are big clubs in the north east who want to get to where Gateshead are. That can only be us surely.

Interesting to note that he had some full time opportunities as well which he is mulling over
Blyth and Spennymoor both want to progress too and South Shields are splashing the cash right on his doorstep. We aren't the only team with ambitions! No doubt York will be sniffing around too.
There is no doubting Chandlers abilities but IF he is touting himself to the highest bidder, is it a player we want to bring in?