A whole new world next season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: A whole new world next season

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:45 pm

divas wrote:How many of the current squad have experience of the NLN?

Armstrong
Nowakowski
White

All at Harrogate Town I think - Any others?!
Brown has with Blyth Spartans. Scott, Cartman (albeit briefly) and Hardy have with Harrogate Town. Thompson has with Stafford Rangers and Telford United.

Armstrong and White both also had Conference North experience with Blyth Spartans.

Mitchell spent some time on loan at Harrogate Town also.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:57 pm

Turnbull for Gateshead.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:49 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

Armstrong
Nowakowski
White

Brown has with Blyth Spartans. Scott, Cartman (albeit briefly) and Hardy have with Harrogate Town. Thompson has with Stafford Rangers and Telford United.

Armstrong and White both also had Conference North experience with Blyth Spartans.

Thomo played league football too didnt he?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Didn't realise Scott was ever at Harrogate Town.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:59 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Armstrong
Nowakowski
White

Thomo played league football too didnt he?
Yep for Port Vale.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:03 pm

I believe in the summer a few will depart purely due to work commitments but after the experience of last night that will be a really hard call to make. A lot of talk about Jamie C but he would have to really prove himself to get in this team!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:33 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:I believe in the summer a few will depart purely due to work commitments but after the experience of last night that will be a really hard call to make. A lot of talk about Jamie C but he would have to really prove himself to get in this team!
Imagine a diamond with Turnbull at the base, Portas and Chandler either side, and Thompson at the top. Scott can come in for Turnbull if needed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:30 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:I believe in the summer a few will depart purely due to work commitments but after the experience of last night that will be a really hard call to make. A lot of talk about Jamie C but he would have to really prove himself to get in this team!
Not so sure.A lot of the grounds are similar on a geographic basis plus there are less games.

As Gary Brown said when he came back you only have a short career and you dont want to be wondering "what if" when your playing days are over.No regrets and all that.

Also a great time to play for Darlo with Blackwell Meadows next season as you say.

Why do people think Gateshead will lose players?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:38 pm

It seems widely believed that Neil Aspin will have a clear out at Gateshead this summer, bring more of his own players in.

Aspin & Nogan have been watching Darlo and have clearly been scouting a Darlo player, whether they have enough interest to make an offer is a different question.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:39 pm

There are 2 fewer away games next season.

Average traveling distance is going to be approx same as this season (yes I've done a spreadsheet). Could be a little less or a little more depending on exact promotion/relegation makeup.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:20 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:It seems widely believed that Neil Aspin will have a clear out at Gateshead this summer, bring more of his own players in.

Aspin & Nogan have been watching Darlo and have clearly been scouting a Darlo player, whether they have enough interest to make an offer is a different question.
Be interesting to see it would mean a move to full time for whoever it is. Amazing that it was Darlo which brought those two together and they are the management team at Gateshead.

They could have just been watching Darlo you know. Nogan, Aspin, Gray and Atkinson were all part of the same 99/00 team.

polam

Post by polam » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Lots of grounds in the Conference North which we have already visited:
- Alfreton, Tamworth, Telford (cup) in the second Conference spell
- Boston (first away game), Chorley (when the segregation broke down) in the first Conference season
- Harrogate and Bradford PA pre season friendlies, also Brackley (but they may be relegated)
- Curzon from Evostik 1N
- Stockport from the old League days
- Hednesford (also likely to be relegated) in the Cup when Daz Roberts was sent off after scoring from the spot
- and of course Blyth or whoever else come up from the playoffs

.. also Kiddy (who are staying full time) and Gloucester (Cheltenham's ground)

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:17 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:It seems widely believed that Neil Aspin will have a clear out at Gateshead this summer, bring more of his own players in.

I've been eating a TERRY's chocolate orange this evening (if you get what I mean).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:32 am

I think Gateshead can scout who they want, unless they're going to be offering at least a two year deal on good money why would anyone want to leave us to go to Gateshead? No disrespect intended, but we are a bigger club - still.

As for the squad? It's already developed and improved during the season, remember we had the likes of Gibbons, Brobbel, Bell, Callaghan in the squad earlier and had Whitey playing up front for a while. The match day squad during the second half of the season has been very strong.

I hope that MG is able to add a couple of quality additions, like Turnbull was last year, but retain everyone else. We got a bit lucky with injuries and suspensions coming at good times this year but I do think we'll need a slightly larger playing squad this year, maybe an additional two players or so.

The form since Christmas has been so strong and the performances so good that I think with a fair wind this squad alone would be competing for a play off berth.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:08 am

Our squad at the moment without any additions is still good enough for a top 5 finish,MG will without doubt bring in 3 or 4 new signings and with the fantastic momentum we have with the move back home, the togetherness and not forgetting all the potential sponsorships etc, we will be one of the favourites to go up IMO.We are a very attractive proposition for any ambitious footballer to come on board, Thursday night had it all, great times to be supporting Darlo with our fan base.Would not be surprised if MG is looking at players even into Lancashire if it means getting the right man but would have the pick of the best in the North East anyway if they remained part time.He will have a list now as to who he would like to bring in, not just Wearmouth.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:44 am

Gray has consistently had the uncanny knack of getting the right player at the right time. I'm sure he has players lined up to join in the Darlington revolution. All opposition players will know all about Darlo and a lot of them would jump at the chance to join a club on the way up.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:08 am

Agreed Pete. He knows exactly what is required. Players want to drop levels just to play for him it seems.
My only slight concern, and I'm very willing for people to reassure me that I'm talking bollocks, is that maybe York coming down to the Conference and only one league higher, may compete for the same pool of players. However, with us being part time and them full time, this may not turn out to be the case.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:08 am

Random question. Do the players get squad numbers/names next year?

bga

Post by bga » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:17 am

Am I being thick (I have been awake since 3am!) why does Conf. North table show 3 teams in the relegation zone and only 2 go up from our league? Is there some restructuring going on? Also interesting that Hednesford Town have had 3 points deducted for....................FIELDING AN INELIGIBLE PLAYER which means there are relegated, whereas had they still got these points they could still avoid relegation?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:37 am

bga wrote:Am I being thick (I have been awake since 3am!) why does Conf. North table show 3 teams in the relegation zone and only 2 go up from our league? Is there some restructuring going on?
If a Midlands-based side in the Southern Premier League go up (Redditch, Leamington and Kettering are in contention), they too would go into the National League North.

Or three northern teams may be relegated from the National League, which would also fill the gap.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:42 am

Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote:Am I being thick (I have been awake since 3am!) why does Conf. North table show 3 teams in the relegation zone and only 2 go up from our league? Is there some restructuring going on?
If a Midlands-based side in the Southern Premier League (Redditch, Leamington and Kettering are in contention), they too would go into the National League North.

Or three northern teams may be relegated from the National League, which would also fill the gap.
Thanks for the clarification. We'll keep quiet about the Hednesford situation I guess!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:There are 2 fewer away games next season.

Average traveling distance is going to be approx same as this season (yes I've done a spreadsheet). Could be a little less or a little more depending on exact promotion/relegation makeup.
Don't let Ginge01 hear you say that, he'll think you're after his job. :roll:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Outside chance we could be going to Workington as they seem to have scraped into the final play-off slot. Blyth must feel gutted to miss out and have to go into the play-offs without being the form team, just so glad we are not in their position.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:42 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:In all honesty the travelling isn't that much different in the Nat North than the Evostik.

Possibly Kidderminster, Altrincham and even Halifax might be joining us, if we can get Blyth up as well.

However Lowestoft is a 5hr journey each way :sick:
A lot more than 5 hours from Darlington to Lowestoft, from my experience last Summer, although there are more dual carriageways and bypasses nowadays to counter the worst of the caravans, tractors, trucks, bikes, horses, traffic lights, village speed limits etc.

Good stopping point on way to East Anglia, especially with kids in the car, is Skegness.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:22 pm

Skegness is only good for a drop off point, if your Andy Park and coming from Grimsby!

grytters

Post by grytters » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:25 am

bga wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
If a Midlands-based side in the Southern Premier League (Redditch, Leamington and Kettering are in contention), they too would go into the National League North.

Thanks for the clarification. We'll keep quiet about the Hednesford situation I guess!

Play-off Final for EvoStik Southern Premier is Leamington v Hungerford

If Hungerford win, they're destined for National League South, Leamington would be on their way to National North.
Bring Back the Quarters

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:01 am

grytters wrote:
Play-off Final for EvoStik Southern Premier is Leamington v Hungerford

If Hungerford win, they're destined for National League South, Leamington would be on their way to National North.
Worth keeping an eye on this and the National League this weekend.

If Hungerford win, and Boreham Wood are relegated from the National League, it's likely a National League South side would need to be moved across into our division.

That side would probably be Oxford City, given they've been moved across before, so would be another long trip for us.

However, if two from Guiseley, Altrincham and FC Halifax go down, and Leamington go up, then an NLN side would be moved across to the NLS, most likely Gloucester or Lowestoft.

And one of Lowestoft or Brackley will be relegated out of the NLN - both are long trips, although Lowestoft does seem the more difficult to reach.