Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Dan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match thread

Post by Darlo_Dan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:59 pm

The equation is simple. 4 points from 3 games for the title.

We would also win the title on Tuesday if we better Blyth's result.

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:22 pm

Well what a day that was.

We have played better than that, and we have played worse. But it is a tough ask of the squad to be brilliantly consistent when the games are coming thick and fast.

Turnbull coming off in short time was devastating. I don't think he'll play a game anymore this season. Hopefully we can bring Portas & Nowakowski back into the squad. But a round of applause to Weldon. Not one game all season, and he came on, did his job well and even got an assist, what a great graft.

It was a tough game, against a goal down, horrible officials and a set of thugs, that should of been down to ten, with another goal down to a penalty we should of had. Usually I avoid the "the refs cost us the game" cliche, but on this one, even with a win. They certainly made it much more difficult than it needed to be. Hardy brought down last man, not only wasn't it a red, but it wasn't even a booking? WHAT!?!?! If they can't even get the basics right, then why are they given the job? Seriously.

The penalty, was a penalty. Linesmen bottled it.

I love this from the Stamford Thugs FC twitter "Daniels lose two one at Darlington. Stamford missed great chance to level in injury time. Blatant foul on bastock for winner."

If it was a foul, it was because of their own player, the EXACT situation when we scored at their place. Also, if my team lost, but only just, and didn't receive a red for when it should of been, the last thing I would do, is complain on twitter, especially under the official twitter.

It was a hard fought game, where we could of played better. But we managed it, against thugs and bad officials. So well done lads! :D I hold no respect for Stamford for the fouls, and the severe time waste tactics. So with that, I hope they get relegated, and take a middle finger from me personally with them.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Phew!!! The major problem now will be trying to finish the season without a midfield. We seem to be left with just Scott now but the lads seem to be finding something extra when needed.

The ref was shocking today. Clear handball in the box first half, clear trip on Tommo in the second, loads of unfathomable decisions and a real mystery how the No 9 stayed on the pitch... even he was laughing that he didn't walk. It was a horrible game against a horrible team and that was an incredible miss by them at the death.

Watching that game it was difficult to believe that the pitch was under water at 3pm yesterday. If anything it looked a bit overly firm and bobbly.

Hopefully Grantham will bring a bus load of kids.... in flip-flops, ready for the summer.... but you just know this is going down to the wire.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Have to agree with above comments they were a disgrace all twelve of them

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:31 pm

The referee today was absolutely atrocious. He missed a clear foreman smash on Brown in the first half by their No.9, who then flattened Mitchell leading with his arm about 15 minutes later. Their No.11's tackle on Burgess was also reckless.

Hardy was going through and was pulled back, the referee wasn't interested until he saw the linesman flagging, but no red card, or even a booking was scandalous.

That was probably the worst refereeing performance I have seen all season.

Stamford today got what they deserved after yesterday, and also their set-up and game-plan which was to push, clatter and elbow anything that was in front of them.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:40 pm

Quite possibly the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen. Stamford were a bunch of thugs, and how they ended up with 11 men on the pitch I have absolutely zero idea. Their number 9 should have been sent off about 3 times, Hardy was taken out clean through on goal twice, and that's not to mention all the other fouls which he let go. He should never referee again, he was that bad.

On to the positives - 3 points closer! Great crowd, a battling performance. Stamford were never going to let us play good football - they were always going to try and slow it down and make it a battle. (which they're perfectly within their rights to do, although the referee should have got a grip on their thuggish behaviour). They succeeded in doing that, but we managed to get the win. I've no idea how they missed that chance at the end though.

Hopefully the players can recover in time for Tuesday. I'd imagine Turnbull's season is over - hopefully Portas isn't far away.

Everyone dug deep today, but a special mention to Liam Hardy. He was fantastic when he came on.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Yep - can only echo the comments about the inept refereeing. Diabolical. He allowed too much to go early on and that set the precedent. We should have had at least one, if not two spot kicks, and the fact they finished with 11 men was a joke.

Stamford's game plan was pretty clear. Rough us up, get a goal and frustrate us into blowing our lids.

Getting the equaliser when we did was crucial. If we'd got to 60-70 minutes without scoring, frustration may well have set in.

What was pleasing was that our players kept their heads in the face of the rough stuff. In similar games in previous seasons, players and coaching staff have snapped and it has cost us.

We kept our heads today and emerged with three valuable points. We didn't play brilliantly, but after the fixture schedule and the injuries, that's to be expected. Although we were naive in playing the long ball too often. They were a tall and *ahem* physical side so us lumping long balls into Army all the time played right into Stamford's hands.

And that miss at the end - I don't think I'll ever see anything like it again. It was a stupidly easy chance.

The injury situation is a worry, and we could really do with getting the title wrapped up as soon as possible. Hopefully that will be Tuesday, if Rushall can do us a favour at Blyth.

A tough week lies ahead, but today's win sets us up fantastically for it.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:53 pm

Wow. I can't take much more of this! :shock:

The referee..... Never seen such an embarrassing performance, I mean how can you be through 1 on 1, pulled down and the lad that has committed the foul doesn't even get a yellow? Just laughable :lol:

Not our best performance today but we move on. 4 points to get lads... COME ON.

#UpTheQuakers
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:05 pm

A great fighting display today, against a side battling to avoid relegation. I talked quite a bit to two stamford fans before the game and they expected to get hammered. I thought we looked tired, but we thoroughly deserved the win.

For our winner a lot of credit had to to to Gary Brown who tied up their giant number 5 and their keeper, allowing Mitchell to score direct from the corner. Given the inept performance of the ref, I was amazed when he didn't chalk off our winner, given that he hadn't given us anything up to then. We should of had a couple of penalties as well, which would have taken the stress out of the last few minutes. Thought the crowd was brilliant and Spennymoor were very hospitable. Hopefully we'll get at least as many on Tuesday evening.

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:10 pm

A huge win. An absolute testament to our fitness levels and our lads and managements composure that we have had all this season. Stamford came for a fight and as a result an easy day was never going to be on the cards. Can't add anything more than what's already been said about the referee and linesmen today, an absolute disgrace all 3 of them.
Decent weather forecast for the forthcoming week, anyone heard if we are finishing our home games at Spennymoor or are we giving Heritage Park its final (hopefully) send off?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:13 pm

carlodarlo wrote:A huge win. An absolute testament to our fitness levels and our lads and managements composure that we have had all this season. Stamford came for a fight and as a result an easy day was never going to be on the cards. Can't add anything more than what's already been said about the referee and linesmen today, an absolute disgrace all 3 of them.
Decent weather forecast for the forthcoming week, anyone heard if we are finishing our home games at Spennymoor or are we giving Heritage Park its final (hopefully) send off?
Even if we don't play at HP on Tuesday evening, we'll almost certainly start back there at the start of next season, as BM is not likely to be ready for the start of next season.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:16 pm

ian_brown wrote:Great win, always tough playing against 12.

The lad who missed the sitter at the death must've had the wrong studs on.

Equation looking much more straightforward now.
Where on his HEAD..lol

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Their keeper was 48 years old, he had a pretty good game, apart from being at fault for our two goals.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Bastock pulled off two stunning saves from Tommo, I don't know how he kept them out. He also took the abuse over his twitter comments in good spirit and his green Mohican with a roll of turf was something else.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:50 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Their keeper was 48 years old, he had a pretty good game, apart from being at fault for our two goals.
45 but hey...still old!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Their keeper was 48 years old, he had a pretty good game, apart from being at fault for our two goals.
45 but hey...still old!
I was told 48 by the 2 Stamford fans I was talking too, but even at 45 he had a pretty decent performance.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:10 pm

From the goal cam highlights, may I say the second darlo goal was so utterly, completely legitimate that you can only suspect sour grapes from stamford's tweet. If anything, the first was more of a foul as Armstrong led with his arm, but his eyes were on the ball the whole way. He's a bloody brave player, no? Just slings himself into challenges like that without it even crossing his mind he could get wiped out.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:15 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
carlodarlo wrote:A huge win. An absolute testament to our fitness levels and our lads and managements composure that we have had all this season. Stamford came for a fight and as a result an easy day was never going to be on the cards. Can't add anything more than what's already been said about the referee and linesmen today, an absolute disgrace all 3 of them.
Even if we don't play at HP on Tuesday evening, we'll almost certainly start back there at the start of next season, as BM is not likely to be ready for the start of next season.
Not possible if we're in a higher league...
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:31 pm

tdk1 wrote:From the goal cam highlights, may I say the second darlo goal was so utterly, completely legitimate that you can only suspect sour grapes from stamford's tweet. If anything, the first was more of a foul as Armstrong led with his arm, but his eyes were on the ball the whole way. He's a bloody brave player, no? Just slings himself into challenges like that without it even crossing his mind he could get wiped out.
Looked like more of a foul on our keeper (gentle nudge at the right time) than on theirs..
For our second goal it looks more like his own player blocked him off.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Where was Amar today he could give us options in midfield

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:00 pm

I always respect referees and linesmen who give their time, effort and energy to the game; many must have found they could never have made it as footballers, and have done the next best thing for the love of the sport.
And good luck to them.
But why do some go in to it, if they are so bad? If their thoughts and concentration are elsewhere? And who monitors their performance? Can a linesmean say "You made a bog up of it today Fred?"
It's only my opinion but I think the girls who have refereed our matches this season have generally given better performances.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:I always respect referees and linesmen who give their time, effort and energy to the game; many must have found they could never have made it as footballers, and have done the next best thing for the love of the sport.
And good luck to them.
But why do some go in to it, if they are so bad? If their thoughts and concentration are elsewhere? And who monitors their performance? Can a linesmean say "You made a bog up of it today Fred?"
It's only my opinion but I think the girls who have refereed our matches this season have generally given better performances.
The last two referees we have had are surely the two extreemes.
The lady ref on Tuesday was the best I have seen this season...Well done to her.
The guy who tried to ref the game today in my opinion was the worst I have seen, and over the last 4 seasons we have had some bad ones.

ian_brown
Team Supported: Fulchester United

Post by ian_brown » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:I always respect referees and linesmen who give their time, effort and energy to the game; many must have found they could never have made it as footballers, and have done the next best thing for the love of the sport.
And good luck to them.
You could maybe apply that logic to Sunday league referees, or junior football referees, but at this level they are well paid for the work that they do. Many see it as a second income, just like players, rightly so. While many want to work their way through the leagues, as a career choice, best of luck to both kinds - but I don't buy the 'without them we wouldn't have a game' line. Granted, it is true, but it's the players that make the game and the players that people want to see perform. When you get a referee who forgets that, who is full of his own self importance, then far too many football games get ruined. That line does far more harm than good as far as I'm concerned. I don't know how referees are coached, but I'd hope they get drummed into them that the players are the important ones and they should go unnoticed for the vast majority of time.

I'm not sure which category that bloke today falls into, but at this level, when so much money and so many people's careers and livelihoods depend on a fair contest - idiots like him need to be criticised.

As for their Twitter, it's embarrassing for the club, I don't think an official account should be criticising officials in that manner. Especially not when they're completely wrong. The goal cam is very telling, the keeper is far too ore-occupied with Browny and his centre half than the ball. So much so, it appears he's trying to claw at their heads while the ball is on its way in, which is highlighted by the sheer panic you see from him at the last second when he realises he's let it beat him. That's the problem with social media and clowns who don't know how best to use it.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:33 pm

quakersam wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
I thought that a bit of leeway was given for a team to update their stadium to the correct standard. In that case we might well play a few games at H.P.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:24 pm

Hardy's best performance for us today. I've not been too impressed with him. You can see he's good but it's not just clicked yet. putting it down to settling in. Today he was a menace. Continued where Army left off.

A dogged all round performance. Winning ugly. Love it.

Weldon played well after settling. The other guys we've become accustomed to. Well done to Tez and Leon for getting themselves settled in the middle.

Thommo was more effective out wide (same as on Tuesday). Mitchell too, when Thommo was instructed to sit behind the front two we lost both of them. Mitchell plays his best game on the wing.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:01 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
quakersam wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
I thought that a bit of leeway was given for a team to update their stadium to the correct standard. In that case we might well play a few games at H.P.
Yes you get until March the following year. If not done then you get relegated. So should be fine.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:57 am

darlo reborn wrote:Where was Amar today he could give us options in midfield
Amar would have been crippled for life if that bunch of thugs had been able to get to him! Probably another good decision by MG not to risk him, although I do expect he may play a part in the next matches.
PS Again many thanks to Spennymoor for their generous hospitality. Could we perhaps show our gratitude by arranging a friendly with them at our new home at Blackwell Meadows inauguration, for example?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:30 am

jjljks wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:Where was Amar today he could give us options in midfield
Amar would have been crippled for life if that bunch of thugs had been able to get to him! Probably another good decision by MG not to risk him, although I do expect he may play a part in the next matches.
PS Again many thanks to Spennymoor for their generous hospitality. Could we perhaps show our gratitude by arranging a friendly with them at our new home at Blackwell Meadows inauguration, for example?
We could just continue donating our cast-offs to them?

But seriously, after our mini rivalry with them in recent seasons I think we owe them a huge amount of gratitude for giving us the chance to get these games played.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:10 am

Absolute justice that Stamford missed that chance right at the end. Some highlights are on MG's interview and Gary Brown is clearly dragged down to the floor by their thuggish No.9. Another one missed by the hapless referee. I still cannot get over just how bad he was yesterday, one of the worst performances I have seen by a referee since being demoted.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:48 am

Magical Quakers wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
quakersam wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Yes you get until March the following year. If not done then you get relegated. So should be fine.
We need to be wary of assuming that this may be the case with HP as we are not intending on being there for the season or intending on doing any work on it.

The rule is about upgrading the ground that you are at.

But hopefully the FA will have seen sense and allow us to play a couple of games at HP if necessary with BM being scheduled for the end of August.

If not, we could always ask to play the first few matches away from HP although that could create a big problem if it isn't completed on time.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017